Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 625 Likes Search this Thread
02-17-2021, 06:16 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K3III Delayed... indefinitely

QuoteQuote:
Development status of APS-C flagship digital SLR camera "PENTAX K-3 Mark III" (2nd report)

Thank you for your continued patronage of our products.
We would like to inform you of the current development progress of the APS-C flagship digital SLR camera "PENTAX K-3 Mark III" whose development status and product name were announced on October 27, 2020.

Aiming to be released around the time of the world premiere show "CP + 2021" (held as CP + 2021 online this year) of cameras and photographic images scheduled to be held from February 25 to 28, 2021 at the time of the previous announcement I was informed that it was under development. However, due to the delay in procuring some parts and the judgment that it will take some time to achieve high performance and high quality suitable for the APS-C flagship model, we have decided to release it. I decided to change it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to customers who are waiting for the official announcement and release, and thank you for your understanding.

Product name: PENTAX K-3 Mark III

Scheduled release date before change: Under development aiming for the world premiere show "CP + 2021" (Pacifico Yokohama) of cameras and photographic images scheduled to be held from February 25 to 28, 2021
Release after change Schedule (current outlook): We will inform you again in the near future.

Press release reported here... Ricoh announces its Pentax K-3 Mark III APS-C DSLR has been delayed: Digital Photography Review

02-17-2021, 06:22 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Well, dang.
Fingers crossed they get the issue licked quickly.

-Eric
02-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Hum....
02-17-2021, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #4
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
Seems to be a common problem now, not limited to Ricoh or just the camera industry.

02-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #5
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
APS-C???????????????????PENTAX K-3 Mark III????????????2???RICOH IMAGING

Development status of APS-C flagship digital SLR camera "PENTAX K-3 Mark III" (2nd report)

Thank you for your continued patronage of our products.
We would like to inform you of the current development progress of the APS-C flagship digital SLR camera "PENTAX K-3 Mark III" whose development status and product name were announced on October 27, 2020.

Aiming to be released around the time of the world premiere show "CP + 2021" (held as CP + 2021 online this year) of cameras and photographic images scheduled to be held from February 25 to 28, 2021 at the time of the previous announcement I was informed that it was under development. However, due to the delay in procuring some parts and the judgment that it will take some time to achieve high performance and high quality suitable for the APS-C flagship model, we have decided to release it. I decided to change it.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to customers who are waiting for the official announcement and release, and thank you for your understanding.

Product name: PENTAX K-3 Mark III

Scheduled release date before change: Under development aiming for the world premiere show "CP + 2021" (Pacifico Yokohama) of cameras and photographic images scheduled to be held from February 25 to 28, 2021
Release after change Schedule (current outlook): We will inform you again in the near future.
02-17-2021, 06:39 PM - 3 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

That's not the best of news, but not totally unexpected. Canon is reportedly delaying a planned camera release for similar supply issues (also intended for reveal at CP+), Sony has put off some lens releases, and again for the same issue. There is another camera also being delayed tho I can't remember now which company it was.

A couple of weeks ago there was some scuttlebutt around severe shortages in microchips being to blame.

Last edited by gatorguy; 02-18-2021 at 04:39 AM. Reason: speeling
02-17-2021, 06:44 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
That's not the best of new, but not totally unexpected. Canon is reportedly delaying a planned camera release for similar supply issues (also intended for reveal at CP+), Sony has put off some lens releases, and again for the same issue. There is another camera also being delayed tho I can't remember now which company it was.

A couple of weeks ago there was some scuttlebutt around severe shortages in microchips being to blame.
If the only remaining problem is getting parts, maybe they can finish announcing its specs?
{I sure am glad that I got my KP two years ago!!}
For purchasers, this would be like Nikon D850 which was announced, but back-ordered in most cases for a substantial length of time.

Last edited by reh321; 02-17-2021 at 06:53 PM.
02-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Link from DPR is 404 at Ricoh Japan...

Actual link:
Development update regarding the PENTAX?s new APS-C-format digital SLR flagship camera, PENTAX K-3 Mark III (second report)?RICOH IMAGING

Steve
02-17-2021, 06:55 PM - 4 Likes   #9
Veteran Member

mmmm...... "indefinitely" ..... not from what I've read...... delayed, postponed maybe.
02-17-2021, 06:58 PM - 8 Likes   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Unfortunately, not unexpected by some

but what can one do ?

go out and have fun with photography with whatever gear you currently have

that's the answer
02-17-2021, 06:59 PM - 1 Like   #11

OMG, with the longest lockdown record in SEA, I hope that it is not just the only reason for the delay. I believe Fuji has also been producing products in the Philippines and yet we do not hear any news of delays.

No wonder they could not release any pricing yet on the K3iii. I became a Pentaxian because of the these two factors that I evaluated when I was picking my 1st DSLR about more than a decade ago: colors and price. Of the two, if Ricoh is going for higher prices for future body releases then I guess they may loose more of their enthusiast market since a part of their existing customers were lured to their fold because of the bang-for-buck when you get into a Pentax gear.
02-17-2021, 07:06 PM - 3 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

I see the delay as "good" news. I would hope the delay would provide extra time to allow Pentax to reconsider all of the major features and components. Maybe now they've got the time to upgrade one or more features using even newer componenets than they were originally going to use.

I just can't image they'll do nothing during the delay. It's an opportunity to re-evaluate their current design, compare it to the latest cameras offered by their competitors, and improve the existing design. If they do nothing but wait, it will be a shame, a wasted opportunity to catch the competition. Lots of new cameras have come out since the K3iii was designed, the competition has raised the bar, and this delay give Pentax a chance to compare their current K3iii design in light of the latest competitors offerings.

Couple of possible examples:

1. Now they have time to rethink the value of a BSI sensor, and not use the non-BSI sensor they were planning to use.
2. Now they've got time to rethink the lack of a tilting LCD screen and will have the time to redesign the current non-movable one with this in demand feature.
3. Get some prototypes out their for extensive field testing of the ergonomics to fine tune buttons, controls, menus based on customer feedback.

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 02-17-2021 at 07:15 PM.
02-17-2021, 07:14 PM - 2 Likes   #13
Veteran Member

A 12fps and 4K 30p in the current industry standard are not acceptable for a flagship. Especially it targets for a price with $2500 tag or even higher. For this price range, it requires 30fps and 4K 120p... It cannot compete with other brands with similar price Fuji T4,Sony A4R4 or Canon R6 .... The only merit is 1.05x OVF for DSLR. But any FF DSLR has a similar size of OVF... it is doomed to be cancelled or postponed indefinitely.,.

It is good that they realized that their flagship to be announced has already been out of date as mentioned in the statement...

Last edited by starjedi; 02-17-2021 at 07:35 PM.
02-17-2021, 07:25 PM - 2 Likes   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two reasons...

I can understand the first part, from reading news about the semiconductor industry: "due to the delay in procuring some parts..."

What's more troubling is the rest of the sentence: "...and the judgment that it will take some time to achieve high performance and high quality suitable for the APS-C flagship model..." Insufficient performance and quality aren't problems you can fix in the weeks before the target intro date. That suggests some redesign is necessary. And the clock keeps ticking...

The sentence ends with: "...we have decided to release it. I decided to change it," leaves me completely in the dark, but it can't be good.
02-17-2021, 07:26 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
1. Now they have time to rethink the value of a BSI sensor, and not use the non-BSI sensor they were planning to use.
Has Ricoh actually stated the sensor being used is not BSI? Assuming it is the same same 26MP Sony sensor as found in the Fuji X-T4, it would be BSI.
Closed Thread