Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 67 Likes Search this Thread
02-20-2021, 01:36 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Don't hold your breath, I cannot record a zoom session until the host gives me the permission to do so. If I'm the only one in the session I'll ask
Take good notes!!

02-20-2021, 02:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Don't hold your breath, I cannot record a zoom session until the host gives me the permission to do so.
You can record/capture your desktop session, of course
02-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #18
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Can someone attending slip in a question on when we can expect a DCU 5.5 update to function with Mac OS Big Sur.
02-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sundown Quote
You can record/capture your desktop session, of course
With those sessions being very limited in participants, there would be a reasonable expection of privacy. If not legally, at least morally. I would personally be very upset if someone recorded one such event where I was attending.

02-23-2021, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Just adding this link, thought it may be useful if you don't read Japanese!K-3 Mark III | CP+2021 Special Site | RICOH IMAGING
02-23-2021, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
And what if women would be the first targetted user-group for the new flagship
From what I see of that magazine, they're apparently the targeted user group of every camera
02-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Surprising though, cameras are no cars

02-25-2021, 01:32 AM - 21 Likes   #23
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I'm out of the session and it was an interesting experience though unfortunately I was only able to ask two questions due to time. (Sorry for those who made suggestions in this thread or in PM.) BTW we were kindly asked not to record the session so I didn't.

The first 5 minutes or so was the talk by the rep where we would just listen.

• We were able to watch him handle the camera (later he'd demo responding to our requests), and once in a while the rep switches to what seemed like a cellphone camera looking into the OVF.
  • He showed us the actual view of K-3III OVF and K-3II via cellphone camera, and indeed the former was considerably larger but I couldn't tell if that was brighter.
  • He demonstrated burst shooting, sounded fast, and that was it.
  • He spent some time talking about new user interface, which I enjoyed, kind of unexpectedly (he made a good job).
    • As an example, when you do RAW conversion in camera using current cameras, many icons (WB, custom image, EV, Clarity, Skin Tone, Digital Filter, Shadow Correction, that kind of stuff) will obstruct the picture itself. Try it on your own.
    • In the new interface, all of these icons are neatly on a single column at the right side of the screen (there are still many icons but you can scroll that column to select whatever you want) and the obstruction is minimal. I don't do in-body RAW processing, but I have to say the new way is impressive.
    • He also showed how touch interface is implemented in info screen as well as menu. As far as I could see, in general using touch interface makes things faster (e.g. "just tap the icon on info screen" VS "press down/up and left/right a number of times to reach the icon I want to use").
    • Scrolling by swiping looked smooth, that might be aesthetic but is important.
Then there was a Q&A. We were asked to be mindful to others to give everybody opportunity to ask questions, given the limited time. This, combined with the fact that we had to type in chat window instead of talking, made it a slow and somewhat awkward experience.
  • I asked if the face and bird recognition thing (Wakashiro san talked about that in the new video) only works with Auto AF Points, and if it's possible to focus-track the recognized subject. The rep couldn't answer and they had to find and grab Wakashiro san (which took them 30 seconds or so but I was feeling that the clock was ticking), and he said that face/eye/bird recognition could be used with Auto AF Points and Zone Select. The rep moved on to the next question even though Wakashiro san didn't answer about the tracking.
  • Later I wrote "I'm not sure exactly how the stopped down metering works in Av and TAv for M lenses, could you please explain". I should have written "Pentax K and M series lenses" or "lenses older than A series" or something, because the rep interpreted "M lens" as Manual lens. Anyway, he mounted 50mm F1.4? or 50mm F1.7 manual lens, I couldn't tell exactly which lens that was, and he started showing me how he can enter 50 as focal length. I retyped "about stop down metering." I heard Wakashiro san saying something like "in Av and TAv!" in the background, maybe he understood what I meant, but the rep didn't. But at that point the time was already up, so I gave up and thanked him.
Of course others asked questions too. The ones I remember are:
  • "Please shoot in burst until it reaches the maximum frames" or some such. The rep said he wasn't sure how many frames could be shot (with the mode he was in?), he just burst shot for probably more than 1 second but less than 2 seconds (that's how I felt), not sure if he stopped because the buffer was actually full but I wasn't able to hear that the camera was slowing down, the shutter seemed to be very quiet. He repeated this twice. Not sure about the speed of clearing the buffer.
  • "How are the AF points displayed in the OVF when you use the joystick?" The rep showed the OVF view. Think about small black square instead of red dot indicator.
    • When a new AF point is selected, a small black box is displayed at that position and is illuminated by soft red light for a fraction of a second. After the red light went away, I thought that the black square stayed (didn't disappear), but I'm not 100% sure. AF points that weren't selected were not displayed in this demo.
    • He moved it as far as he could, and it agreed with the AF area coverage diagram in the new video (New K-3 III video from Ricoh: OVF face, eye and bird detection is coming. - PentaxForums.com).
  • "Show us the top LCD". Looked nice.
There were other questions but I cannot remember.

Last edited by kwb; 02-25-2021 at 01:40 AM.
02-25-2021, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks, very informative - and very nice of you to keep us informed. Now... could you also watch the seminars?

I don't expect anyone to be able to see the 10% difference in brightness; perhaps in controlled conditions? The big point about that is that the brightness didn't decrease, despite the higher magnification.
Excellent question about AF/tracking. Too bad about the partial answer (but if it's in zone select, the camera should track?)
The AF points display seems similar to the K-1's, and unfortunately the black squares aren't very visible... but let's see on the actual camera.

It's amazing how they worked on basically every aspect of the camera. No wonder it took so long!
But now they have something to reuse in the following models.
02-25-2021, 07:07 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

@kwb, Thank you very much for attending the session and summarizing your information.

Despite the limitations of time and detail, the virtual 'online touch and try' seems to be a good alternative to an in-person seminar.

Your report has been very useful for me.

- Craig
02-25-2021, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks a lot for the report, @kwb!

I'm actually happy that they improved the in-camera raw converter - I've found myself using it more and more, lately. It's very detailed but the icons do take up a lot of the screen, so it's a much appreciated quality of life upgrade (this seems to be a trend with the camera )
02-26-2021, 12:01 AM - 5 Likes   #27
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all, and you're welcome.

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Now... could you also watch the seminars?
I'll watch Tanaka-Iwasaki talk. If anything interesting is revealed I'll report.
And I'm sure others will, too!
02-26-2021, 01:53 AM   #28

Thanks all, and you're welcome.

I'll watch Tanaka-Iwasaki talk. If anything interesting is revealed I'll report.
And I'm sure others will, too!
Thanks, for the report.

Please do make another one.

THANK YOU!
02-26-2021, 07:15 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, for the report.
It actually answered on of my questions - how is displayed the focus point in the viewfinder when it is changed by the joystick.
02-26-2021, 11:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Don't hold your breath, I cannot record a zoom session until the host gives me the permission to do so. If I'm the only one in the session I'll ask if I can record and publish, otherwise I won't even bother as the Japanese are usually very sensitive to their privacy.

But I'll post everything I remember.
Actually, if you run Quicktime and do a new movie recording specifying Zoom, would that not work? But if it's not intended by Pentax, perhaps better not.