Rationale behind Pentax's new advertising campaign:

All News | Business Wire

11-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for the link
11-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I noticed that when I took a peruse through the new website. Kudos to Hoya for trying to kickstart things at Pentax instead of just gutting it for parts. I like the campaign; I know it's all marketing, but they are pretty right in pinning down Pentax users as "not followers". The few who come in to look at Pentax or have Pentax gear fit that bill.
11-18-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for pointing this out - I happen to think "Be Interesting" is a particularly good tagline for a photo company - it's modern without being pretentious, and it gets a pretty clear message across.

11-18-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Forum Member

I like the new message, as I think it is accurate... we really are an unique bunch, but in a good way! I was surprised to see an ad for pentax of dpreview website's though... is it just me that noticed it for the first time a couple of days back?
11-18-2008, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shaloot! Quote
I like the new message, as I think it is accurate... we really are an unique bunch, but in a good way! I was surprised to see an ad for pentax of dpreview website's though... is it just me that noticed it for the first time a couple of days back?
Really? I would have though we could be summed up better by the tagline "Quit whining and take some f**** pictures"
11-19-2008, 12:24 AM   #7
pdo

QuoteOriginally posted by drewdlephone Quote
I like the campaign; I know it's all marketing, but they are pretty right in pinning down Pentax users as "not followers". The few who come in to look at Pentax or have Pentax gear fit that bill.

So true. I belong to a camera club with more then 100 members and people always ask why I would I go for Pentax instead of the 2 other big boys and always try to convert, but I'm happy being a Pentaxian.
11-19-2008, 07:58 AM   #8

I agree, we really are an unique bunch Sadly pentaxians are kinda scarce around here in Bucharest... I remember when I started to work for a big newspaper here, they had equipment canon 5D, and all the L-s used in press, but i worked mostly with my K10. In the begining the rest of the photographers were like "yo look at the freak with that pentax" )

11-19-2008, 11:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I love being different

All the photographers here are like showing off and comparing who has the biggest lenses, and they turn green with envy how nice it is to have a K20D with all these tiny DA Limiteds They're all like "wow look at that tiny lens"! And when they check it out "wow it's all metal" and "wow this has a 2.8/2.4 aperture?", then it turns to "man that's sharp wide open!"

And then they see how small and convenient it is to carry my camera bag around hehe.
11-19-2008, 01:28 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RipDaJacker Quote
I agree, we really are an unique bunch Sadly pentaxians are kinda scarce around here in Bucharest...
Scarce? No, not really
11-19-2008, 02:07 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was on the new Pentax Imaging Web site today and like the new look. The old site hardly inspired confidence and was both clunky and stodgy. The new site..."Instigate. Incite. Inspire. Take Pictures." I like it!

I was a little dismayed, however since the purpose was to try and find local dealers. 18 months ago you could find Pentax dSLRs at all the Ritz locations, Circuit City, Best Buy, both of the larger pro stores, and many of the smaller camera shops here in the Portland area. Ritz still has stock as do the two pro stores (barely...), but Pentax has disappeared everywhere else.

The Pentax dealer locater indicated three Walmart stores...silly Pentax, I think dSLRs are online only at Walmart...

Steve