Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 04:47 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Ricoh sees those HD-revisions as quick wins. I don't share this view.
Are you saying that from Ricoh's perspective or the consumer's?

In my opinion, adding WR or AW sure would further increase desirability of these reboots.

02-22-2021, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'll admit that I don't shoot out of focus branches against a totally burnt out, overexposed sky wide open
The 77 Limted is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen. Up there with the FA* 200 Macro....
From the dfa85 review...

^That is extremely painful and not super challenging subject or situation.
02-22-2021, 05:00 AM   #48
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Breakfastographer Quote
Are you saying that from Ricoh's perspective or the consumer's?

In my opinion, adding WR or AW sure would further increase desirability of these reboots.
True, but once you do that, you're practically rebuilding the whole lens, at which point it would be better to make a lens which fills a different whole in the line-up. It does look like that is what they are doing with the DFA Limited 21mm, but we haven't heard about that being ready for release yet. It will be a disappointment if none of the new lenses are ready for release this spring. These recoatings are welcome, but only if they are additional to some all-new designs.
02-22-2021, 05:01 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
- Some people were hoping that this had been made to "modern" standards. Should it have been WR, SDM and with a faster new formula?
Adding a big motor to a lens prized for its compactness makes no sense to me.

02-22-2021, 05:03 AM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just the coatings, thanks.
02-22-2021, 05:04 AM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
These recoatings are welcome, but only if they are additional to some all-new designs.
I don't understand what that's trying to say. Not "welcome"? "Don't improve my product"?
02-22-2021, 05:10 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I thought there was something about "HD" coatings being easier to apply than SMC which is part of why they were developed. This is probably at least part of why the price was reduced for the 77 HD FA.

I think it's odd to suggest that it's not possible to make a WR (or AW) in-lens-motor version of the 77. It wouldn't look at all the same when they were done but lifting the optics block out of the FA 77 and building an entirely new housing around the lens seems very doable. It would undoubtedly gain weight and size over the existing version. I kind of like that they didn't bother with that.

The black version of this lens would probably look great on my black MX...

02-22-2021, 05:11 AM   #53
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Ricoh sees those HD-revisions as quick wins. I don't share this view.
I guess Ricoh use product re-looking to fill gaps between truly new product releases, like all manufacturers do. There's nothing wrong with that.
02-22-2021, 05:14 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
From the dfa85 review...
Yep, that's exactly what I meant some posts back.

---------- Post added 02-22-21 at 05:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The 77 Limted is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen. Up there with the FA* 200 Macro....
This is correct, but sharpness has nothing to do with fringing.
02-22-2021, 05:19 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
This is correct, but sharpness has nothing to do with fringing.
I see no fringing with my HD 35 2, it's sharp with nice color contrast and haven't see any fringing yet on the photos taken with that lens.

Let's look at tests done with the newly coated ltd lenses compared to smc versions before making any conclusion.
02-22-2021, 05:27 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I see no fringing with my HD 35 2, it's sharp with nice color contrast and haven't see any fringing yet on the photos taken with that lens.

Let's look at tests done with the newly coated ltd lenses compared to smc versions before making any conclusion.
Sure it fringes. Not terribly though. I like my HD FA35 but I would never suggest CA removal in PP isn't part of the default settings I have for that lens.
02-22-2021, 05:38 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Sure it fringes. Not terribly though. I like my HD FA35 but I would never suggest CA removal in PP isn't part of the default settings I have for that lens.
All my lenses have CA, software corrects most of it. I don't think other brand lenses have less CA , but they are pre-corrected in raw files, which make them look good in internet reviews. There are lenses that are near perfection without capture correction, but they aren't cheap, we're talking about the Zeiss and Leica, or even the Pentax D-FA 85 1.4... not a cheap lens. The rare fully optically corrected lenses cost between $2K and $4K.
02-22-2021, 06:03 AM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If HD coating will make fringing less apparemt and there for more easy to get rid of it in extreme situations, I might upgrade my FA 77. Not sure yet. FA 31 has it too, but for some reason I’m usually using it a wee a bit stopped down anyway. So it is not that bad. 77 I enjoy to use wide open, just because it is so good and nice.
02-22-2021, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You sure it's the 77?
I love mine to bits, but any reflective highlight is gonna have a purple neon sign on it.
Pål may think it's just the northern lights
02-22-2021, 06:34 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
If HD coating will make fringing less apparemt and there for more easy to get rid of it in extreme situations, I might upgrade my FA 77. Not sure yet. FA 31 has it too, but for some reason I’m usually using it a wee a bit stopped down anyway. So it is not that bad. 77 I enjoy to use wide open, just because it is so good and nice.
The Cameraville guy saw more ca in his HD samples than in the smc samples of the FA35. It's pretty visible see https://youtu.be/Fr1HAJkdTyo?t=180

So we'll have to wait and se i guess.