Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 07:05 AM - 1 Like   #61
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I was hoping we would see a comprehensive HD FA vs SMC FA comparison test here done by the PF staff...

And where's our HD FA 28 f2.8??

02-22-2021, 07:07 AM - 5 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
After using revamped HD 35/2 for over a year, and using older version for quite some time before upgrade, I can say that this "only" coating update gave that lens a new life for my usage(I'm pretty sure that glass formula was changed to fit new coatings, not only coating itself). Also exterior design fits better with a lot better quality plastics and rubber focusing ring that does not slip.
Reworked FA77 HD version will find a new home in my camera bag I think I wish that there could be room for updated FA50/1.4...
02-22-2021, 07:10 AM   #63
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I was hoping we would see a comprehensive HD FA vs SMC FA comparison test here done by the PF staff...

And where's our HD FA 28 f2.8??
The 28 is no longer in production, no? Fat chance of it getting a re-issue, I'd say.

Now the HD FA 50/1.4 might be in the cards at some point - that one is still on sale.
02-22-2021, 07:16 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax is not selling new k-mount 28's, no. It continues to seem to me like a weird hole to have in their lineup.

02-22-2021, 07:37 AM   #65
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
The Cameraville guy saw more ca in his HD samples than in the smc samples of the FA35. It's pretty visible see https://youtu.be/Fr1HAJkdTyo?t=180

So we'll have to wait and se i guess.
I suppose that we will...I’m pretty happy with my FA 77 and looking forward to add DFA*85 in my lens line up, so that should get me there. I still like small size of 77(and all limiteds in general) ... great and light to carry with big zooms for example..
02-22-2021, 07:56 AM - 2 Likes   #66
Pentaxian

The Cameraville guy saw more ca in his HD samples than in the smc samples of the FA35. It's pretty visible see https://youtu.be/Fr1HAJkdTyo?t=180
That's not an evaluation we can trust.
02-22-2021, 08:23 AM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's not an evaluation we can trust.
Look at the video and make your own assessment, the fringing is visible. He could of course have mislabelled the lenses as i *think* the exif reports them both as FA35 but that seems far fetched. I have the HDFA35 but don't have the SMCFA35 to compare with.

02-22-2021, 08:44 AM   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ncallender Quote
Wow. I would have thought the trio would have followed the styling and features of the new DFA 21 ltd. Namely, WR and DC.
Don't forget quick-shift.

QuoteOriginally posted by Reed Quote
After using revamped HD 35/2 for over a year, and using older version for quite some time before upgrade, I can say that this "only" coating update gave that lens a new life for my usage(I'm pretty sure that glass formula was changed to fit new coatings, not only coating itself). Also exterior design fits better with a lot better quality plastics and rubber focusing ring that does not slip.
Reworked FA77 HD version will find a new home in my camera bag I think I wish that there could be room for updated FA50/1.4...

So we'll have to wait and se I guess.
I never used the SMC 35/2 either but I remember when I first started in DSLR photography it was generally disparaged as giving very dull, lifeless images. My experience with the HD version has been quite the opposite - it has great rendering with a nice 3D look to them. After a year of use, it's easily one of my favourite lenses. I doubt that all of that is due to coatings though.
02-22-2021, 08:47 AM   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Look at the video and make your own assessment, the fringing is visible. He could of course have mislabelled the lenses as i *think* the exif reports them both as FA35 but that seems far fetched. I have the HDFA35 but don't have the SMCFA35 to compare with.
They are labelled identically in EXIF and my own comparison shows that the HD version handles both purple fringing and ghosts better than the smc version. Not by a huge margin, but noticeable.
02-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I never used the SMC 35/2 either but I remember when I first started in DSLR photography it was generally disparaged as giving very dull, lifeless images. My experience with the HD version has been quite the opposite - it has great rendering with a nice 3D look to them. After a year of use, it's easily one of my favourite lenses. I doubt that all of that is due to coatings though.
There must have been something wrong with the assessment of the SMC version then - mine definitely gives a nice pop to the subject, colors and contrast are on par with my HD lenses. It's really hard to find any difference between the SMC and HD version unless you have extreme contrasts, even color-wise it's not a dramatic change.
02-22-2021, 09:25 AM   #71
Pentaxian

In other words, I can't trust the video either
02-22-2021, 10:41 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
There must have been something wrong with the assessment of the SMC version then - mine definitely gives a nice pop to the subject, colors and contrast are on par with my HD lenses. It's really hard to find any difference between the SMC and HD version unless you have extreme contrasts, even color-wise it's not a dramatic change.
Maybe not dramatic in rendition, but both mine SMC 40/2.8 and SMC 35/2 never returned to any of my cameras when I got newer iterations for them. For instance super protect coating is a blessing when it comes to cleaning the front element. SMC 40ltd lacked that feature and that was kinda pain to clean it up without a lenspen. HD 35/2 vs SMC 35/2 definitely have better contrast and ghosting handling, maybe a sample variation and wear due to age but also HD is spot on out of box when older version needed to be quite adjusted between every DSLR I used that lens with to focus properly and was not that accurate even when new(that was with older bodies than my current K-1II ofc).
02-22-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I'll admit that I don't shoot out of focus branches against a totally burnt out, overexposed sky wide open
The 77 Limted is one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen. Up there with the FA* 200 Macro....
If you shoot back lit portraits much with the FA 77 you will find purple fringing. It was one of the main reasons why my wife wanted to upgrade to the DFA *85. Shooting weddings could be problematic with the FA 77 and purple fringing that is too wide will leave a gray band around the subject.
02-22-2021, 01:10 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you shoot back lit portraits much with the FA 77 you will find purple fringing. It was one of the main reasons why my wife wanted to upgrade to the DFA *85. Shooting weddings could be problematic with the FA 77 and purple fringing that is too wide will leave a gray band around the subject.
What I’v seen from your photos(and from others wit DFA), already there it shows how different they are and why DFA*85 is one of best in it’s class. FA77 can’t touch that. Not even with HD but hopefully fringing will be lovered. As FA 77 is pretty good as we all know in many other way.
02-22-2021, 01:37 PM   #75
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That would be a big upgrade

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Hey, if they update the 31 in a similar fashion and reduce the price, maybe I'll be able to afford one at some point
Last week I took out my new-to-me 31 Ltd and aimed it at the sun rippling off river water, surrounded by ice. The purple aura surrounding the specular highlights at F4 was worse than and color aberration I've ever seen. F8 was much better, though.