Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 01:41 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you shoot back lit portraits much with the FA 77 you will find purple fringing. It was one of the main reasons why my wife wanted to upgrade to the DFA *85. Shooting weddings could be problematic with the FA 77 and purple fringing that is too wide will leave a gray band around the subject.
Yeah, if you are doing a "no second tries" shoot you want something that's as corrected as possible. If you can go "agh, wrong angle, let's do another take" the 77 is much less of a liability.

04-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #77
Forum Member

So, are there any updates as to when this HD 77mm 1.8 will be available?
04-07-2021, 12:58 PM - 1 Like   #78

QuoteOriginally posted by infra4801 Quote
So, are there any updates as to when this HD 77mm 1.8 will be available?
Ricoh Imaging Japan website says end of April. Strangely, one can preorder on the Ricoh Imaging US site but still can't preorder the K-3 iii on the Ricoh Imaging US site. (Yeah, yeah, I know they announced the HD FA limited lenses in February, but if they both have the same release date and want to make a splash on the flagship, why isn't it for preorder directly from Ricoh Imaging USA?)
04-07-2021, 01:01 PM   #79
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Ricoh Imaging Japan website says end of April. Strangely, one can preorder on the Ricoh Imaging US site but still can't preorder the K-3 iii on the Ricoh Imaging US site. (Yeah, yeah, I know they announced the HD FA limited lenses in February, but if they both have the same release date and want to make a splash on the flagship, why isn't it for preorder directly from Ricoh Imaging USA?)
Too impatient, young padawan

04-07-2021, 01:17 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Amazon says the pre-order release date is April 29th.

For some releases, that's meant that it hits your mailbox on the 29th. For the K-1, their release date was when the orders shipped.
04-07-2021, 01:27 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Anyone waiting for this? Just a minor upgrade for future buyers. 77ltd wins over a DFA85 with smaller aperture for now. If the do the same for 31/43, what will be the new large aperture wide angle prime? Either they recycle 31HD or we can expect a f/1.4 design - I like the latter case.
I'm super broke, but this is a cool addition. I have the 70mm DA HD, and the HD coating really does make for some nice colors.
04-07-2021, 02:06 PM   #82
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping to find out.
04-08-2021, 07:31 AM   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
If they have sold out (or near) the smc ltd's my guess is that they have to use HD. Keeping the old smc running is probably costly. HD is supposedly a cheaper and better coating. If they can lower the prices of the LTD's beause of the long running production and now cheaper and better coatings perhaps the limiteds can find a new, less high, end spot in the lineup.

I've repeated it many times that the ltds is a strange lineup that cause a fair bit of trouble for Pentax. Of course they are also a agreat asset but they are simple, old designs with performance issues whilst priced like high end glass. The ltd's leave Pentax without a low/mid priced prime lens lineup which I think is a problem. So pushing the ltd's down to a fantastic mid priced lens line would be great news for Pentax. With a middling price the purple fringing and screw drive focus would be completely forgiven.

You are then either poor sighted, very uncritical or shoot such a limited set of subjects that you never stress the lens. It still seems like a beautiful lens though!

Map camera did some test showing how HD supposedly improved the fringing on the FA 35mm f2. Scroll down to the shot of water and a jetty/pier in the middle of this page.

?PENTAX?FA35mmF2??? | THE MAP TIMES

^that shows a significant improvement but I doubt it's consistently that much better. We haven't hear much about less ca with the HD DA ltd's?
Great link! Actually, the photo of the trees is even more illustrative. Indeed, it may not always be like that. But if it's a major improvement ...
I might be in for a 77mm. I have the M 85mm, and the Tamron 2.8/90mm (which is bulky but excellent), so I may not really need it, but when if ever does need stand in the way of want?

04-09-2021, 12:58 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Great link! Actually, the photo of the trees is even more illustrative. Indeed, it may not always be like that. But if it's a major improvement ...
I might be in for a 77mm. I have the M 85mm, and the Tamron 2.8/90mm (which is bulky but excellent), so I may not really need it, but when if ever does need stand in the way of want?
In the FA35 photo with the water reflections the difference has a lot to do with a different plane of focus, so one should not read too much in it. You can see that the highlights in front of the focus plane have a purple fringe while those behind have a green one. In the SMC sample there is more purple but also less green, meaning the plane of focus is more distant than in the HD sample. But the flare behaviour is obviously much better.
1 Day Ago   #85
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Certainly tempting. How does one improve on great?
16 Hours Ago   #86
Pentaxian

I hope to see reviews of old-new limiteds soon and a new FF Pentax body with KP/Limited spirit.
13 Hours Ago   #87
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I don't know, but I don't think I quite need the upgrade, my 77 is fantastic already.

To me the most important part of the upgrades is the 400 (!) price dip on the 31mm (in Europe it was 1500, now 1100)... the old SMCs might actually become affordable second hand now!
13 Hours Ago   #88
Pentaxian

It seems identical to the da limited upgrade. The differences between smc and hd are very small but can be observed at absolute edge conditions, or in the removed sun star aberrations.
12 Hours Ago   #89
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
since I am hoping to receive my pre-ordered Silver Premium Edition of the K 3 III

I have no $ left

and just like my SMC DA Limited primes, I have no intention of updating my SMC FA Limiteds to HD

apparently by uploading the latest firmware for certain Pentax cameras:

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Looks like many cameras are getting a firmware update available on April 15 2021 which includes:

"Optimized focus operation for new lenses HD PENTAX-FA 31 mm F1.8 Limited, HD PENTAX-FA 43 mm F1.9 Limited, HD PENTAX-FA 77 mm F1.8 Limited lenses and smc PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8AL limited, smc PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9AL limited and smc PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8AL limited lenses."

RICOH IMAGING

PENTAX K-1 FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION (1.54)
PENTAX K-1 Mark II FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION (1.20)
PENTAX KP FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION (1.30)
PENTAX K-70 FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION (1.12)
PENTAX K-3 II FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION (1.11)
PENTAX K-3 FIRMWARE UPDATE VERSION (1.42)

I wonder if we will see the K-3 III firmware added soon too.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/423052-new-firmwar...ml#post5253658
11 Hours Ago   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

By helping it control PF in high contrast situations wide open
Rounded blades might also help the 43.

Btw, I'm a fully signed up fan of the 77 and it can be great even exceptional but it can be naughty at times too.