Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 12:00 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have the HD FA 35 2, and it's optically very good, nice contrast, no CA from my experience with that lens update.
If the update has the same effect on the 77 ltd and other limited, it's very good news.
If the HD 77 is little cheaper than the smc version, it is also good news.
Looking forward to comparison tests between HD and SMC versions.

02-22-2021, 01:09 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

meh.
If I wanted the 77 Limited I'd have one already. I might've been interested in a version with less fringing and a DC motor.
The good news, I suppose, is that the Pentax FF is going (just) well enough so new batches of the 77 have to be made.
02-22-2021, 01:55 AM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A clever and cost-effective little move to help ensure that one of their most acclaimed lenses remains relevant and attractive enough for new generations of buyers. The strategy seems to have worked with the HD DA Limiteds to a reasonable extent, otherwise they wouldn't repeat it here. So, we may well see HD updates with the other FA Limiteds, too, I guess.
02-22-2021, 02:03 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Nice, especially if the price reduction turns out to be true.

02-22-2021, 02:59 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
ペンタックス「HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited」が海外の販売店に追加されました。現時点で登録されている価格は799ドル。#噂

In translation: PENTAX "HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited" has been added to overseas retailers. The currently registered price is $ 799. #rumour [!!!].

Apparently just a rumour!
02-22-2021, 03:01 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey, if they update the 31 in a similar fashion and reduce the price, maybe I'll be able to afford one at some point
02-22-2021, 03:04 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Time Traveller Quote
Apparently just a rumour!
This is Nokishita - their "rumors" are actually leaks, and these images are most likely press release material.

02-22-2021, 03:27 AM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pretty clear that they needed to do another manufacturing run on the FA 77. They decided to do it with the HD coating. Some of the things mentioned on this thread (weather sealing, in lens motor) would have taken a major re-do of the lens and clearly Pentax wasn't prepared to do that.
02-22-2021, 03:29 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
meh.
If I wanted the 77 Limited I'd have one already. I might've been interested in a version with less fringing and a DC motor.
The good news, I suppose, is that the Pentax FF is going (just) well enough so new batches of the 77 have to be made.

Mine doesn't have fringing. Maybe it can be produced by "provoking" in in difficult situations, but not one of the many images I've shot with this lens show fringing. It cannot be a great problem unless there is sample to sample variations out there. I've had it since the day it was released....
02-22-2021, 03:33 AM   #25
Pentaxian

Interesting only if with the HD "upgrade" they got rid of the CA and don't ruin the rendition on film.

For the record. I have only a lens in smc and HD version, the FA 654 35mm that I use in a Pentax 645 NII. I also bought the HD version because is a reworked optical schema to reduce the focus plane problem, has circular iris, SP and ... HD coating. The plan was to do a quick comparison and sell the smc BUT on film the color rendition of the HD is different, it is more cold/greenish and therefore not so "Pentax". Now I'm thinking about what I have to sell...

Last edited by Andrea K; 02-22-2021 at 03:53 AM.
02-22-2021, 03:41 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Notice that it is not called D-FA but HD FA.
Indicating that the only thing changed is the coating.
I think we can assume that the 43 and the 31 get a similar treatment sometimes in the future...
02-22-2021, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

If they have sold out (or near) the smc ltd's my guess is that they have to use HD. Keeping the old smc running is probably costly. HD is supposedly a cheaper and better coating. If they can lower the prices of the LTD's beause of the long running production and now cheaper and better coatings perhaps the limiteds can find a new, less high, end spot in the lineup.

I've repeated it many times that the ltds is a strange lineup that cause a fair bit of trouble for Pentax. Of course they are also a agreat asset but they are simple, old designs with performance issues whilst priced like high end glass. The ltd's leave Pentax without a low/mid priced prime lens lineup which I think is a problem. So pushing the ltd's down to a fantastic mid priced lens line would be great news for Pentax. With a middling price the purple fringing and screw drive focus would be completely forgiven.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Mine doesn't have fringing
You are then either poor sighted, very uncritical or shoot such a limited set of subjects that you never stress the lens. It still seems like a beautiful lens though!

Map camera did some test showing how HD supposedly improved the fringing on the FA 35mm f2. Scroll down to the shot of water and a jetty/pier in the middle of this page.

https://news.mapcamera.com/maptimes/%E3%80%90pentax%E3%80%91fa35mmf2%E3%81%A...0%B2%E5%8C%96/

^that shows a significant improvement but I doubt it's consistently that much better. We haven't hear much about less ca with the HD DA ltd's?

Last edited by house; 02-22-2021 at 03:48 AM.
02-22-2021, 03:55 AM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Mine doesn't have fringing. Maybe it can be produced by "provoking" in in difficult situations, but not one of the many images I've shot with this lens show fringing. It cannot be a great problem unless there is sample to sample variations out there. I've had it since the day it was released....
You sure it's the 77?
I love mine to bits, but any reflective highlight is gonna have a purple neon sign on it.
02-22-2021, 03:56 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Notice that it is not called D-FA but HD FA.
Indicating that the only thing changed is the coating.
I think we can assume that the 43 and the 31 get a similar treatment sometimes in the future...
It probably depends on current supplies of those lenses. If they have stocked piled thousands of copies of them then you'll be waiting a bit for such a release.
02-22-2021, 03:59 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote

You are then either poor sighted, very uncritical or shoot such a limited set of subjects that you never stress the lens. It still seems like a beautiful lens though!

Map camera did some test showing how HD supposedly improved the fringing on the FA 35mm f2. Scroll down to the shot of water and a jetty/pier in the middle of this page.

?PENTAX?FA35mmF2??? | THE MAP TIMES

^that shows a significant improvement but I doubt it's consistently that much better. We haven't hear much about less ca with the HD DA ltd's?
Or he knows how to cleverly use a lens. This LOCA appears at wide open shots with glaring high contrast in the background, like naked branches against an overlit sky. While for sure such situations can not be avoided 100% it still is questionable to photograph something like a three dimensional tree wide open. My photographer experience would suggest me to close down the lens, which to a big degree also eliminates LOCA. The tests show that beside that CA is practically not evident on the focus plane. Some lateral CA in the OOF area might help to add some depth rendering to the images. This is actually what these not overcorrected lenses have been always loved for.