Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
04-29-2021, 06:35 AM - 2 Likes   #121
Veteran Member

If they release FF KP styled camera it will be hard to resist (for me) not to get HD Limiteds and the camera.

04-29-2021, 06:56 AM   #122
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
You sure it's the 77?
I love mine to bits, but any reflective highlight is gonna have a purple neon sign on it.
This!! Had to sell mine because in too many situations it would ruin a portrait that people were depending on with bad purple fringing, that in a lot of cases couldn't even be fixed in photoshop without something looking off. Plus I didn't want to pay $700 for a lens that had to be used at f2.8 and above. My PENTAX A 135mm f2.8 was the same thing, had to be used a whole stop closed down for good results. I do live in a bright, sunny place but strangely my Nikon 105mm f 2.5 and a Nikon 135mm f2.8 AI I tried out are perfect wide open. So I think it's more of a design issue going on and an HD coating is likely not going to fix the problem.

Last edited by stillshot2; 05-02-2021 at 12:26 PM.
04-29-2021, 07:50 AM   #123
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
I don't think it is as simple as saying SMC vs. HD.

There were different generations of SMC over the years. You can see this by looking at the reflections on F lenses, FA lenses and DA lenses. It's reasonable to expect that the HD coating has some iterations. I feel my HD 15mm Ltd has a different color cast to the 20-40 Ltd. I think they are evolving.

DA limited refresh was updating from a relatively recent SMC coating to the first iteration of HD. The improvement might not be that obvious. However, these latest FA Limited updates have 20 years between them. The FA 35mm refresh ai probably a better comparison, but it is something that really needs to be tested side by side.

I agree with Servekan and Repaap about the HD 77mm samples. I know my SMC 77mm would produce significant PF that would be visible even at that image size, especially the reflected light off the metal implements in the 5th image down. So the improvement is clear to me.
I know my limiteds inside out(not literally) and have been shooting quite similar things. Not exactly, but I have quite good touch of what can and can’t be done with that purple stuff ruining the shot.
04-29-2021, 08:19 AM   #124
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm very interested in comparisons between these lenses because I am new to the FA Limited and plan to buy a 77 this year.

04-29-2021, 12:26 PM   #125
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quaternion Quote
amazon will likely deliver on 29th
I got this from BH today:
"Please be advised that your backorder is estimated to arrive at our warehouse by 05/05/21. As soon as we receive it in stock we will ship your order to you, and e-mail you with the tracking information. "
So, it should be soon! Amazon has dropped the HD from their offerings. At least I can't find it anymore.
04-29-2021, 03:05 PM   #126
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Good news
04-29-2021, 08:19 PM - 4 Likes   #127
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’m not sure if they did do any comparision yet, even with DFA35 and FA 35. Some say that it is nice improvement. Still hard to tell from screen.
After having read that multiple times, I put together results from my informal comparison that I did on the FA35 versions a while back, with the FA31 Ltd and HD DA40 thrown in in addition. I'm aware that this is not a full study, light position has changed over the course of taking the photos ... but it should be a little more conclusive than trying to judge what current FA's would do in this and that situation. The below are 1200x800 central crops from a full K-1 36MP image, all developed using the same settings in Rawtherapee - not compensating for brightness/contrast differences.

Image link image should give you the full resolution, not sure if the title link does. In case my messing around with flickr embedding doesn't work, you can download the full 4800x3200 image from here.

What I took from this test is that stopping down helps a lot (earlier with the FA35s than with the FA31) and that purple is mostly blue on the HD DA40. The FA31's PF is much more intense than the FA35's wide open but forms a narrowly defined contour, akin to the general rendering of those lenses. So even PF pops more '3D-like' on the FA LTD.

04-29-2021, 08:34 PM   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
After having read that multiple times, I put together results from my informal comparison that I did on the FA35 versions a while back, with the FA31 Ltd and HD DA40 thrown in in addition. I'm aware that this is not a full study, light position has changed over the course of taking the photos ... but it should be a little more conclusive than trying to judge what current FA's would do in this and that situation. The below are 1200x800 central crops from a full K-1 36MP image, all developed using the same settings in Rawtherapee - not compensating for brightness/contrast differences.

Image link image should give you the full resolution, not sure if the title link does. In case my messing around with flickr embedding doesn't work, you can download the full 4800x3200 image from here.

What I took from this test is that stopping down helps a lot (earlier with the FA35s than with the FA31) and that purple is mostly blue on the HD DA40. The FA31's PF is much more intense than the FA35's wide open but forms a narrowly defined contour, akin to the general rendering of those lenses. So even PF pops more '3D-like' on the FA LTD.
Thanks, very useful and clear.
04-29-2021, 10:29 PM   #129
Pentaxian

Thank you! Even looking at here at forums colour difference is clearly to be seen between HD and SMC. So obvious and difference in contrast. HD FA31 limited(as well as others) should gain quite a bit from HD coating. As we know from PF, even if you correct it, if possible, it will affect with negative impact for the whole image. Also that shining part seems mode define.
05-02-2021, 03:00 AM   #130
Pentaxian

After having read that multiple times, I put together results from my informal comparison that I did on the FA35 versions a while back, with the FA31 Ltd and HD DA40 thrown in in addition.
Thanks, this is a helpful comparison. Still curious how the new coating will pan out on the Ltds, but this does provide some reason to think it might be better.
05-05-2021, 06:09 AM   #131
Veteran Member

i wonder how big of a change it would have made to the lens if they made this sealed to the outside environment for dust/water/etc

i do love my 77mm, but do prefer my 85 over, so the 77 just sits there mostly
05-07-2021, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #132
Pentaxian

A somewhat unrelated question: Is the HD DA40 fully usable uncropped on the K-1?

(Might be a silly-looking combo, though, Pentax need to make a "limited FF" camera with emphasis on small size :-))
05-07-2021, 12:56 AM - 1 Like   #133
Veteran Member

Still waiting for 77HD review. I am also interested in smaller KP styled FF body.
05-07-2021, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #134
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
A somewhat unrelated question: Is the HD DA40 fully usable uncropped on the K-1?

(Might be a silly-looking combo, though, Pentax need to make a "limited FF" camera with emphasis on small size :-))
Only at close distances, at infinity it needs to be stopped down.
05-07-2021, 01:54 AM - 1 Like   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gazonk Quote
The answer is HD Pentax-DA 40mm F2.8 Limited Reviews - DA Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database (in the grey table, there is a section on FF compatibility)