Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
05-13-2021, 06:08 AM   #166
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes you do. The perfect glass is yet to be invented. You add another glass/air interface not part of the optical design. The fact that you usually don't see this is true (but you will see it in a long telephoto lens), but it definitely reduce flare resistance.
No you don't. You might reduce part of the improvement (citation needed in 99% of cases - I've literally never seen any IQ loss due to a filter), but you do not negate it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
You should never use a filter if you cannot formulate why you use it. For protection is not a good excuse (except for usage in averse condition with sea spray or similar). Use a lens hood and the lens cap when not in use. The probability of damaging a lens because of no filter is minuscule, and the money you save on filters over the years is probably more than repair of dented front element anyway.
That I agree with. I normally use polarizers in a couple lenses, and the others get clear filters because of protection. Not from impact, mind you, but from dust and dirt (or even water), which tend to happen when you're hiking.

05-13-2021, 06:27 AM   #167
Pentaxian

Except in bad cases you'll only notice it by doing side by side comparisons. Few if anyone could tell a smc vs a hd da ltd apart in a blind test. Your photos will likely look a bit different
05-13-2021, 06:50 AM   #168
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
No you don't. You might reduce part of the improvement (citation needed in 99% of cases - I've literally never seen any IQ loss due to a filter), but you do not negate it.
I bought a good quality clear filter when I bought my 20–40 Ltd. In the first month of owning the lens, I took a shot against some harsh light and got a GIANT magenta flare through the middle of an image. Quickly removed the filter and shot again against the same light and the flare was gone. I’m glad that it wasn’t a fleeting, once-in-a-lifetime moment that was ruined by the filter. I no longer use filters for protection, since I always use lens hoods and modern lenses with HD and SP coatings are made to be easily cleaned of the sorts of things that might find their way onto the front element.
05-13-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #169
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I bought a good quality clear filter when I bought my 20–40 Ltd. In the first month of owning the lens, I took a shot against some harsh light and got a GIANT magenta flare through the middle of an image. Quickly removed the filter and shot again against the same light and the flare was gone. I’m glad that it wasn’t a fleeting, once-in-a-lifetime moment that was ruined by the filter. I no longer use filters for protection, since I always use lens hoods and modern lenses with HD and SP coatings are made to be easily cleaned of the sorts of things that might find their way onto the front element.
I heard this somewhere and I agreed with it every since: "If the manufacturer thought this needed a protecting filter, he would have put one on". Be careful with your equipment. Or put insurance on it. Or if you are gonna wear it out, include wear, tear, and replacement in your bids. I also have had photos ruined by glare from a clear filter.

05-13-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #170
Pentaxian

My 2 cents: don't use filters in normal use, exceptions are the ND or the CPL to obtain special effects
05-13-2021, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #171
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrea K Quote
My 2 cents: don't use filters in normal use, exceptions are the ND or the CPL to obtain special effects
I'd agree with that too.
Any one else received their HD 77? I got mine, and so far it seems as amazing as my non-HD original that I damaged. I'm not an authority enough to write a review, but will post impressions when I use it more.
Please tell me about your experience with fringing so far. Thanks!!!
05-13-2021, 08:38 AM   #172
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
as my photography is developing, i'm actually going the opposite direction. sure, sharp lenses are great, but in post process, i usually remove the sharpness a bit, and add a bit more diffusion to remove any clinical sharpness in images. My opinion, but i believe sharpness is kind of overrated past a certain point. And modern lenses have past that a LONG time ago
You sound as if you should shoot some film!

05-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #173
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by infra4801 Quote
I'd agree with that too.
Any one else received their HD 77? I got mine, and so far it seems as amazing as my non-HD original that I damaged. I'm not an authority enough to write a review, but will post impressions when I use it more.
Please tell me about your experience with fringing so far. Thanks!!!
Am looking forward to your impressions! Is the LoCA still there? Any improvement on flare control? Hope you enjoy your new 77!
05-13-2021, 10:57 AM   #174
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Only slightly off-topic: with the high quality coating nowadays, what kind of filters are appropriate? Surely, if they are of lower quality, they have a negative effect?
I tended to use filters if only to protect the front glass of dirt and scratches. And it surely helps.
But what effect does it have on the new coating?
While I don't agree with forever filters, if you are going to use one, you are asking the right question. A good filter isn't going to be a cheap one, no matter what it does.
Having said that, look seriously at the X4 filters from Breakthrough Photography.

For the 77Ltd lens:
X4 UV ? Breakthrough Filters
out of stock at the moment, but their shortages seem to not last long

I have more of them than I want to admit, and I have found them to be excellent.

They have a less expensive line called the X2.

X2 UV ? Breakthrough Filters

The X4 filters are using Schott glass from Germany, the X2 filters are using AGC glass from Japan.
The X4 rings are brass, I'm not sure if the X2 rings are brass or aluminium.
Interestingly, AGC was originally called the Asahi Glass Company.

Coincidence? I think not.
05-13-2021, 11:31 AM   #175
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
Only slightly off-topic: with the high quality coating nowadays, what kind of filters are appropriate? Surely, if they are of lower quality, they have a negative effect?
I tended to use filters if only to protect the front glass of dirt and scratches. And it surely helps.
But what effect does it have on the new coating?
In my beginnings I always used high quality filters from B+W, Heliopan and Hoya to protect my DA lLimiteds but found out that flare was way worse than without filters, no matter if the lens was SMC or HD. Since then I only use hoods to protect my lenses.
05-13-2021, 05:03 PM   #176
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mbaez Quote
In my beginnings I always used high quality filters from B+W, Heliopan and Hoya to protect my DA lLimiteds but found out that flare was way worse than without filters, no matter if the lens was SMC or HD. Since then I only use hoods to protect my lenses.
That's exactly what I started to think. I always protected the glass, not the picture
05-14-2021, 05:51 AM   #177
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
I used ‘UV’ filters in the age of film, but now I largely depend on my being sufficiently careful.
Since I use small bags, under normal circumstances, I find lens hoods to be more bothersome than helpful.
05-14-2021, 06:30 AM   #178
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wkraus Quote
You sound as if you should shoot some film!
I have thought about that, but I really dont like waiting on things. Plus, i love blowing things up in terms of size.
I can use old lenses just fine, but old cameras or film, and i, dont seem to get along much.
05-14-2021, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #179
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hadi Quote
I have thought about that, but I really dont like waiting on things. Plus, i love blowing things up in terms of size.
I can use old lenses just fine, but old cameras or film, and i, dont seem to get along much.
but you do talk like someone who uses film.

I occasionally get out my old film camera, but not very often, because I always produce pictures just like the ones you end up with by degrading your digital images.
05-14-2021, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
but you do talk like someone who uses film.

I occasionally get out my old film camera, but not very often, because I always produce pictures just like the ones you end up with by degrading your digital images.
haha, guess i do sound like a hipster
i do have the hairstyle
i do have the beard
i do have the age

but...i dont associate myself as a hipster