Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 131 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2021, 02:28 AM   #241
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm lucky to have both DA70 and FA77 and both are great lenses. Personally I prefer the DA 70 with my K-01 and the FA 77 with the K-1.

I'm quite happy with the sharpness of the FA77 at f1.8 and it even holds up pretty well across the frame. It does sharpen up a bit by f2.8 but its not night and day for me. Of course it very sharp at f5.6 across the frame. Purple fringing can be significant though - although, as previously pointed out, its usually fixed pretty easily in PP.

12-17-2021, 02:44 AM   #242
Pentaxian

I recently got 77 HD to complete the triad. Too little time to write a review, but the feeling is that it is a lens almost exclusively for portraiture (as I was looking for). Unlike the 31 and 43 that I know best, it seems that it suffers more in some circumstances, but on the other hand it seems to be able to achieve better results in others for the characteristics in which it excels.
12-17-2021, 04:31 AM   #243
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nonpigliounoshoot Quote
I recently got 77 HD to complete the triad. Too little time to write a review, but the feeling is that it is a lens almost exclusively for portraiture (as I was looking for). Unlike the 31 and 43 that I know best, it seems that it suffers more in some circumstances, but on the other hand it seems to be able to achieve better results in others for the characteristics in which it excels.
That's not my impression owning one since the day it was released. It is great all-round lens and a fantastic landscape lens, having fixed rear elements (FREE) in order to achieve optimum quality regardless of focusing distance. It can fringe wide open though, but it is perhaps the sharpest lens I've ever seen rivaling the FA* 200/4 Macro.....
12-17-2021, 04:53 AM   #244
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
That's not my impression owning one since the day it was released. It is great all-round lens and a fantastic landscape lens, having fixed rear elements (FREE) in order to achieve optimum quality regardless of focusing distance. It can fringe wide open though, but it is perhaps the sharpest lens I've ever seen rivaling the FA* 200/4 Macro.....
It is certainly possible that I am wrong. But I was not referring to the fact that it is not clear, but to the chromatic aberations (purple fringing) in situations of strong contrast which in other genres, including the landscape, can create some problems. The blur and the colors instead have a very strong personality, and it is really very beautiful

12-17-2021, 05:46 AM   #245
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree that it's mostly a portrait lens, but not exclusively. It's a fast aperture short tele so it can serve in many situations. But where it shines is certainly for portraits.
12-17-2021, 06:11 AM   #246
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes and no. The lens is ridiculously sharp, and I do mean, just like you say, macro-levels sharp, the detail is absolutely stunning. However, from wide open to ~f/4 or even f/5.6, it does struggle a bit in challenging lightning (Even more than aberrations, which are not usually that damaging in my experience, I mean lower contrast, some mild veiling flare, etc.), and certainly does this more than the 43. It can be artistic and it's not always there, but at some light angles it can make you feel like you can't make use of the wide aperture...

I still bring it on hikes because the rendering is so beautiful that I just make the lens work one way or another .
12-17-2021, 06:45 AM - 7 Likes   #247
Pentaxian

It is a wonderful portrait lens... I find that the close up shots are where the real magic comes out. Some of my favorite landscape/nature shots have been taken with it as well, so I'm gonna have to fight you on the "exclusively for portraiture" part

If you don't mind me sharing:

12-17-2021, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #248
Pentaxian

Wow ! Love these shots
12-19-2021, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #249
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

indeed very beautiful @jab2980
12-19-2021, 08:14 PM   #250
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by willdmo Quote
indeed very beautiful @jab2980
QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Wow ! Love these shots
Thank you both!
12-19-2021, 11:57 PM - 7 Likes   #251
Pentaxian

I never tried the HD version just the original FA 77 but I do miss it from time to time.

12-20-2021, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #252
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jab2980 Quote
It is a wonderful portrait lens... I find that the close up shots are where the real magic comes out. Some of my favorite landscape/nature shots have been taken with it as well, so I'm gonna have to fight you on the "exclusively for portraiture" part

If you don't mind me sharing:
Those are some very beautiful pictures jab2980. As alluded to before, it is a tool that works well for portraits, but in skilled hands, like yourself, It could be an intimate landscape lens. I need to use it more often though . Thanks for sharing the pics.
12-20-2021, 05:23 AM - 1 Like   #253
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
I never tried the HD version just the original FA 77 but I do miss it from time to time.
Two beautiful examples, thanks.
12-20-2021, 06:24 AM - 1 Like   #254
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely photos. Nice to hear from you again.
12-20-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #255
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

BEAUTIFUL portraits, thanks for sharing!