Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 384 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2021, 10:10 AM   #181
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
About the limited camera line I quite like that Pentax has a pseudo official, completely insane, Japan specific custom car like lineup of the strangest camera around. I wouldn't touch any of them with a ten foot pole, actually I'd love to handle one but loathe to own one. Honestly this is as niche and weird as it gets.

I just have to drop a few more japenese customs. They are just welding random bits to cars, not unlike the random covers of the custom limiteds.

Considering my post in the Decoding camera industry trends - PentaxForums.com thread I actually think re-releasing the limiteds is a good move. Just getting photos of the lenses out there will remind people of a camera brand doing things differently.

02-24-2021, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #182
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Black & Gold

Viridian

Scarlet Rouge

LX75 Metallic

You can tell they were styled by the same person who did the K-30 and the WG series compacts.

Note the little AOCO logo inlaid in the grip.

Also, all that business on top of the prism is going to be removable. If it is like the KP J-Limited, there may be an AOCO logo underneath.
Nothing should look like that unless it shoots lasers, transforms into a fighting robot, or both...

-Eric
02-24-2021, 11:21 AM   #183
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
They are just welding random bits to cars, not unlike the random covers of the custom limiteds.
Those vehicles are just hilarious, the K-1 clones make me feel ill
02-24-2021, 11:34 AM   #184
Pentaxian

I don't understand all the complaints here. In my opinion, they look great. I wouldn't pay [much] extra for one, but I would like to have one for sure. Horses for courses...

Last edited by rangercarp; 02-24-2021 at 11:35 AM. Reason: typo
02-24-2021, 11:50 AM   #185
Pentaxian

Well, very special. Not exactly my corner of the spectrum... But if they have people who appreciate it, why not.
However, in seeing this new costumes for the K-1II, I now understand even less why they don't cater the one camera with some fine accessories that has actually the ability to accept it by design: bring just some nice grips for the KP. The interchangeable grips could be the ideal platform for all sorts of design experiments, african black wood, walnut, carbon fibre or viridian silicone, you name it...
No, the KP-J was not what I mean.
02-24-2021, 11:53 AM   #186
Pentaxian

Oh I don't complain. Not really my taste.
If Ricoh gains something with those, good for Ricoh.
02-24-2021, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #187
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
I don't understand all the complaints here. In my opinion, they look great. I wouldn't pay [much] extra for one, but I would like to have one for sure. Horses for courses...
I don't get it, either. Where's joy in having a camera that's a piece of electrical tape away from being indistinguishable from every other Canon and Nikon DSLR?

But then again most people live in rows of identical houses and drive nearly identical crossover SUVs in Hertz White, while I have a custom-built house with a Victorian turret, drive a car that's Estoril Blue, and own a blue K-30. I'd much rather have one of these special edition K-1s than the generic black.

02-24-2021, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #188
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
pseudo official, completely insane
Yup - that just about sums it up
02-24-2021, 12:59 PM   #189
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Yup - that just about sums it up
Ain't we all mad here?
02-24-2021, 01:00 PM   #190
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Those special editions are so tempting -- but I'd have to sell a bunch of my lenses that are APS-C only and move on from my beloved KP... It's a hard decision.
02-24-2021, 01:05 PM   #191
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the new year models coming out

time to trade in the old one year old model

should I get white walled tires while I am at it

[ questions many asked " back in the day " ]
02-24-2021, 01:24 PM   #192
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
You mean Ol Henry didn't build any silver T Models??
No, but he did build Model T's in quite a lot of colours, although, for some model years, mostly black.
02-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #193
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I don't get it, either. Where's joy in having a camera that's a piece of electrical tape away from being indistinguishable from every other Canon and Nikon DSLR?

But then again most people live in rows of identical houses and drive nearly identical crossover SUVs in Hertz White, while I have a custom-built house with a Victorian turret, drive a car that's Estoril Blue, and own a blue K-30. I'd much rather have one of these special edition K-1s than the generic black.
If they are tarting it up for the sake of tarting it up and people want it, that's great, but when form interrupts function, that's a problem. There is a reason why cameras all tend to come in one shape package, with various other shapes having been tried and discarded through the years.
02-24-2021, 01:57 PM   #194
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suspect that the k-1II J is a Japan only model. Pentax commonly has variations that are only available in Japan like the laquered version of the 645Z or the infrared version of the 645Z. There were versions of the LX that were only sold in Japan. Not sure why. Maybe that's why the announcement is in Japanese only.
02-24-2021, 02:10 PM   #195
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
I suspect that the k-1II J is a Japan only model. Pentax commonly has variations that are only available in Japan like the laquered version of the 645Z or the infrared version of the 645Z. There were versions of the LX that were only sold in Japan. Not sure why. Maybe that's why the announcement is in Japanese only.
Infrared converted versions are usually not Japan market specific, those are however special order products for museums, archeological institutes or police etc.