Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 07:49 AM   #31
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
Not gonna lie, my enthusiasm has dwindled. It's not exactly what I expected after Ooku said "several new Pentax products coming"...
I was thinking of several lenses - so my expectations will be met.

02-22-2021, 07:52 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It seems quite a few brands are bringing aperture rings back. The new DFA21 doesn't have one.
Ricoh Imaging isn't bringing back the aperture ring - they're just keeping it on the FA Limiteds. Probably it's cheaper than removing it.
They could add an electronic version on new lenses, the mechanical one isn't an option as they're going KAF4; but they didn't so far.
02-22-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Not gonna lie, my enthusiasm has dwindled. It's not exactly what I expected after Ooku said "several new Pentax products coming"...
It is odd seeing these sorts of product refreshes. They're not bad, per se, but they're hard to get excited about. And they're not going to be easy to sell potential newcomers to the system on. "Oh yeah, we've got this awesome lens, came out about 20 years ago, and they just put new coatings on it!".

If there was a serious media push and the HD Ltd. updates along with the D-FA 21 and then, I don't know, maybe a 28 or a 135 f2 or something else was also shown off starting at CP+ then it would be more exciting and feel good about the level of attention and effort Ricoh wants to put into the k-mount ecosystem. The somewhat low flow of new lenses to market + the K3-3 "pause", while understandable, are a bit of a wet blanket.
02-22-2021, 07:54 AM - 3 Likes   #34
Pentaxian

Same here, and then there's the K-1 II J Limited - which makes me think we won't see a K-1 III this year.
I need a D FA 21mm to cope with this disappointment

02-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The LX titanium AFAIK had titanium made top and bottom plates. I don't really expect similar treatment in K-1 II JLim
No, but the color scheme can be maintained. It is not a chrome finish like the silver K-1, but more metallic grey.....
02-22-2021, 07:57 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I'm glad that the FA limiteds are alive and kicking, now I'll just buy a lottery ticket
02-22-2021, 07:59 AM - 6 Likes   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
It is odd seeing these sorts of product refreshes. They're not bad, per se, but they're hard to get excited about. And they're not going to be easy to sell potential newcomers to the system on. "Oh yeah, we've got this awesome lens, came out about 20 years ago, and they just put new coatings on it!".

If there was a serious media push and the HD Ltd. updates along with the D-FA 21 and then, I don't know, maybe a 28 or a 135 f2 or something else was also shown off starting at CP+ then it would be more exciting and feel good about the level of attention and effort Ricoh wants to put into the k-mount ecosystem. The somewhat low flow of new lenses to market + the K3-3 "pause", while understandable, are a bit of a wet blanket.
The Limiteds are terrific lenses. Nothing like it from other manufacturers. The fact that they can be sold at very reasonable prices for their finish and performance, due to the fact that developing costs is long paid for, is simply a great bonus for the K-mount system. A complete redesign would probably have made them twice as expensive....
02-22-2021, 08:13 AM - 4 Likes   #38
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

It is odd seeing these sorts of product refreshes. They're not bad, per se, but they're hard to get excited about. And they're not going to be easy to sell potential newcomers to the system on.
So show those 'newcomers' the photos you take with them.
We are not responsible for their reactions - we can have fun in any case.

I'm seeing entirely too much complaining here - Pentax has said over and over again that their main goal is that their users have fun .... so go out and have it!!
Member @Kerrowdown; is having lots of fun with Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses!!

Last edited by reh321; 02-22-2021 at 08:18 AM.
02-22-2021, 08:20 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Pentax has said over and over again that their main goal is that their users have fun .... so go out and have it!!
Tell Covid to scram so I can go hiking!
02-22-2021, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #40
Pentaxian

From the sounds of it the Limiteds will just be getting a coating update and rounded aperture blades, nothing more, which is disappointing. I've long been saying they need an update but expected something more along the lines of in-lens focus motor, quick-shift and possibly WR of some degree.

Last edited by Jonathan Mac; 02-22-2021 at 08:35 AM.
02-22-2021, 08:29 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The one FA Ltd that appeals to me is the 77. The 31 isn't wide enough, the 43 is... not what I want.

Perhaps a black HD FA 77 and the K3-3 will be my 2022 gifts to myself and my photography hobby. It's kind of hard to rationalize the cost of the 77 when I already have an M 85 f2, though...
02-22-2021, 08:30 AM   #42
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Very nice. It's something I actually expected from Pentax.

I like that they're maintaining the aperture ring - like they did with the HD 35mm f2. They changed focus to being a brand all about "the pleasure of photography", as they stated in interviews recently, and aperture rings do add to that. This is very nice to hear
Aperture rings add to that only where they're useable other than in un-metered manual mode, i.e. in the modes that most people use cameras. Pentax would need to fully restore the crippled K-mount to it's former glory for that to happen, which is extremely unlikely.

Exactly. In fact, I'd say for people who already use Pentax this is more of a disappointment as it pretty much guarantees that the FA Limiteds won't get a meaningful make-over for many years to come. Newcomers will see an all-singing, all dancing 21mm and then wonder what the heck is going on with the other FA Limiteds.
02-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
From the sounds of it the Limiteds will just be getting a coating update, nothing more, which is disappointing. I've long been saying they need an update but expected something more along the lines of rounded aperture blades, in-lens focus motor and possibly WR of some degree.
They put rounded aperture blades.
No in-lens focus motor, nor WR - which basically means making new lenses (why not changing the optics, as well?).
02-22-2021, 08:34 AM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Here is the product page for the Japan Ricoh store.

HD PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
????: 'pentax hd set01' | RICOH IMAGING
Price 79,110 including tax

The photos are rather uninteresting, since the only difference seems to be the HD on the inscription.

Did the old ones have rounded aperture blades? The page for 43mm mentions this in the spec, along with HD and SP coatings.
Looks like the page no longer exists.
02-22-2021, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Aperture rings add to that only where they're useable other than in un-metered manual mode, i.e. in the modes that most people use cameras. Pentax would need to fully restore the crippled K-mount to it's former glory for that to happen, which is extremely unlikely.
I'm not going to argue but I'd still maintain that having an aperture ring is better than no aperture ring. For some of us at least, it might not mean a thing in the world for you, and that's fine as well.

QuoteQuote:
Exactly. In fact, I'd say for people who already use Pentax this is more of a disappointment as it pretty much guarantees that the FA Limiteds won't get a meaningful make-over for many years to come. Newcomers will see an all-singing, all dancing 21mm and then wonder what the heck is going on with the other FA Limiteds.
Ummm... then you are sort of implying that the lenses aren't "good enough" and the philosophy behind them should change? The design process of those lenses is well documented... and newer lenses would probably follow a different design philosophy (more about being sharp across the frame, a bit less about how hair texture is depicted, about how soft skin must look, and things like in-focus to out-of-focus transitions... etc)

Me, I'm imagining the 31 and the 77 with barely any CA and the 43 with improved bokeh from the rounded aperture blades... and I'm thinking this is going to be as close to perfect as it can get.