Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2021, 06:50 AM   #481
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I suspect any difference is quite subtle. Or at least only visible in edge cases. Despite being quite candid this is Ricoh marketing. The da limited smc to hd switch is probably equivalent and people harldly notice except for star bursts.
I suspect this may be true as the HD versions are priced markedly less expensively than the SMC, probably to persuade owners of the SMC versions to purchase the new ones and for new owners to be tempted to buy as they are getting new coatings on great lenses. If they were going to be significantly different, I suspect the prices would be higher.

I hope flare resistance is indeed better, but I wonder if this is likely to be as much to do with the internal design than the coatings, which may only make a subtle difference. It will be fascinating to see what the first reviews show.

04-24-2021, 08:48 AM   #482
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
the HD versions are priced markedly less expensively than the SMC, probably to persuade owners of the SMC versions to purchase the new ones
I think HD is cheaper to apply so there's inherent cost savings. I also think the asking price for limiteds is already so high that they are pushing it. They are nice lenses but shouldn't be *that* expensive any more.
04-24-2021, 09:07 AM   #483

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I have the HDFA35 and I quite like it. Backgrounds can get busy though in certain circumstances. The FA31 has a much more complex optical formula so it's interesting to tease out where the special glass etc makes a difference. The fov muddies the waters of course but still interesting.

This page Test: Sex fasta fullformatsobjektiv för Pentax K-1 did some reviews and mtf tests at wide open and f8

FA31

FA35

The above doesn't say that much so I'm just curious about the differences. I'm not looking to get the FA31 altough the fov is probably better for me I liked the DA21. I'm just curious.
31mm is much wider than 35mm
04-24-2021, 07:01 PM   #484
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've been lusting after a FA 31 for a while, I wander if the prices will come down on used FA's after the HD FA is released. Maybe I won't want an FA after I see some images HD images?

04-24-2021, 07:17 PM   #485
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Looks like the full list of new products to be released is

HD PENTAX-FA 31mm F1.8 Limited
HD PENTAX-FA 43mm F1.9 Limited
HD PENTAX-FA 77mm F1.8 Limited

All in Silver and Black versions, available end of April.

Also the K-1 Mark II J Limited 01 in four color variations
- Black & Gold
- Vilidian (ヴィリジアン) - Not sure what this means at all. Might be a brand tie-up
- Scarlet Rouge
- LX75 Metallic

https://twitter.com/nokishita_c/status/1363808122217787392

Availability is April 30. No photos yet.
New products are great news. I'm looking forward to better days with Pentax.
04-24-2021, 09:37 PM   #486
dbs
Pentaxian

Just an observation.
In Australia the Ricoh site only has a price for the HD variants ( which is cheaper ) and only for the " normal" FA's in stock , with no back order for the originals that are sold out.
04-25-2021, 03:17 AM   #487
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Out of interest I compared the SMC FA35 f2 against a FA 31 for flare resistance. As I know the 31mm does flare easily, however, my little used FA 35 (when I bought the 31 I assumed it was better) flares much less. In fact only in extremely harsh tests did it show any issues. The 31mm was far less tolerant.

Has anyone tested the SMC versus HD versions of the FA 35mm f2 for flare?

04-25-2021, 03:37 AM   #488
Pentaxian

Out of interest I compared the SMC FA35 f2 against a FA 31 for flare resistance. As I know the 31mm does flare easily, however, my little used FA 35 (when I bought the 31 I assumed it was better) flares much less. In fact only in extremely harsh tests did it show any issues. The 31mm was far less tolerant.

Has anyone tested the SMC versus HD versions of the FA 35mm f2 for flare?
There is a link somewhere on this forum to a japanese camera shop site that did some comparisons. There was a photo of trees against the sun that showed considerably less flare with the HDFA35. Similar to the previous DALTD smc vs HD tests.
04-25-2021, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #489
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fuzzyphotos Quote
I've been lusting after a FA 31 for a while, I wander if the prices will come down on used FA's after the HD FA is released. Maybe I won't want an FA after I see some images HD images?
My situation as well, the 31 is just too expensive for me right now, even used. But with the HD 31 at 400€ less than the old SMC version, used prices might drop to something more palatable
04-25-2021, 11:53 AM   #490
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the HD versions are priced markedly less expensively than the SMC, probably to persuade owners of the SMC versions to purchase the new ones
I think it was mentioned at some point that HD was less expensive than SMC. In addition the SMC versions would have had a legacy price and cost on the balance sheet established during the transfer from Hoya. New HD version might have the price established by a new cost analysis based on current manufacturing costs. Anyway the fact that they are less than the SMC version is I think good news for the Limited line going forward.
04-25-2021, 04:14 PM   #491
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
My situation as well, the 31 is just too expensive for me right now, even used. But with the HD 31 at 400€ less than the old SMC version, used prices might drop to something more palatable
I think they are same price in Canada. Maybe the 31 is a little less expensive.
04-25-2021, 08:59 PM   #492
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does anyone have one of the new HD limitless in hand yet?
04-27-2021, 02:19 AM   #493
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zzaletel Quote
Does anyone have one of the new HD limitless in hand yet?
I don't think so.
04-27-2021, 07:25 AM   #494
Veteran Member

Do we know when those lenses will be on shelves?
04-27-2021, 09:12 AM   #495
Veteran Member

Ricoh Imaging Japan website says that they will be available for sale on 28 April. I don't know what that means for when distributors in other markets will have them.