Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 384 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 08:50 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I am still waiting for a good full frame replacement for the DA* 18-50.....

02-22-2021, 08:54 AM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I can imagine the posts in 15 or so years time where people are praising the "original" FA limiteds before Ricoh put that crappy lens motor in and spoilt the look by switching to the new fangled HD coating. (I am not saying there is anything wrong with DC motors and HD coatings...just thinkiing out aloud).
I don't blame Pentax wanting to get more life out of existing lenses which are universally praised, and adding the easiest updates that will cost them nothing in development time.
02-22-2021, 09:05 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
I don't blame Pentax wanting to get more life out of existing lenses which are universally praised, and adding the easiest updates that will cost them nothing in development time.
On it's own I agree. If we look back a bit and consider the following I'm less convinced...

1. HD limited revamp
2. HD FA 35mm revamp
3. Fish eye zoom revamp
4. Tamron rebadges
5. K-1 Mark II minimal update
6. Various kit lens variations on a theme.

That's at least three to many "easiest updates that will cost them nothing in development time". If we substract easiest updates there aren't many products coming out of Pentax...
02-22-2021, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
On it's own I agree. If we look back a bit and consider the following I'm less convinced...

1. HD limited revamp
2. HD FA 35mm revamp
3. Fish eye zoom revamp
4. Tamron rebadges
5. K-1 Mark II minimal update
6. Various kit lens variations on a theme.

That's at least three to many "easiest updates that will cost them nothing in development time". If we substract easiest updates there aren't many products coming out of Pentax...
It's interesting that you're "forgetting" the real development going on.

02-22-2021, 09:34 AM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
It's interesting that you're "forgetting" the real development going on.
It's a list of "easiest updates" which naturally wouldn't have things like the DFA*85 and the K-3III.
02-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

It's a list of "easiest updates" which naturally wouldn't have things like the DFA*85 and the K-3III.
Yet you should have mentioned the "harder updates", to support your view that "there aren't many products coming out of Pentax...".
02-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Member @Kerrowdown; is having lots of fun with Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses!!
I also have lots of fun with those old manual lenses, when I shoot film with my MX.

I have noticeably less fun when my SMC 77 limited on K-1 gets into focus hunting mode on a static subject.

Anyway, I admit I don't really need any new gear. I would gladly trade half of it for a proper photo trip in this covid-dominated reality.

I just like to complain I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

02-22-2021, 09:59 AM - 7 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If we substract easiest updates there aren't many products coming out of Pentax...
Actually there are new products: DFA*50, and DFA*85, and DFA 21 and K-3II coming.

And regardless of new products or old the only thing that matters is that Ricoh has kept K-mount alive. I assume they finally sold down FA Limited stock to the point they needed to build more, so instead of just running a new batch they took the time to update coatings and aperture blades. Not something they would do if they did not think there was a future in K-mount. K-1II limited is also very good news, historically the "limited edition" models have come out at the end of the run for a body. Possibly signifying end of production and using up whatever final stock of parts they want to move. Good indications there is a new FF body in the works, though not likely before 2022.

Pace of new products seems to frustrate some but that is the reality in this day of declining volume. With Pentax's market share I think they are doing an excellent job of pacing development with income and staying in business instead of going under. Other brands are churning out a lot of new products which means a huge investment in development cost and inventory. It is exciting to see "new stuff" but very little of that "new stuff" would make any significant difference to the quality of images I produce.
02-22-2021, 10:00 AM   #54
Veteran Member

One good thing that will happen is the resupply of the FA limited lens hoods, lens caps, and bags. I lost a FA 31mm Bag, and I had to resort to that auction website to find it and it was a pretty penny. I now keep them at home and use third party lens bags for protecting FA limiteds inside my camera bag. I might even consider buying a new 43mm...new coatings that improve flare control and contrast is very appealing for a walk around lens.
02-22-2021, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #55
Pentaxian

You forgot the D-FA*50 and the DA*11-18. So in total that's 3 new premium lenses in 4 years, plus the coating on other lenses and the Tamron rebrand, that a lot of new lenses for a small brand like Pentax (3% market share, or less).
02-22-2021, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

I personally don't mind the pace as long as the dfa21 is good and gets released sooner rather than later.
02-22-2021, 10:19 AM   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Member @Kerrowdown; is having lots of fun with Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses!!
Yeah, and other members are having fun mounting projector lenses onto their cameras as well. What of it?
02-22-2021, 10:21 AM   #58
Pentaxian

I personally don't mind the pace as long as the dfa21 is good and gets released sooner rather than later.
The big question for me is if the D-FA21 will be better than the D-FA 15-30 @ 21mm. I've had mixed results with the 15-30 , I can't really figure out. Some of my shots were blurry on the left hand side of the frame, although DoF should have been Ok. I took some test shots but could quite reproduce the problem.... maybe some field curvature, I don't know.
02-22-2021, 10:34 AM - 3 Likes   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The good news is they’re running another batch of FA Limiteds. They could have just retired them.

I don’t think the Three Princesses will ever see focus motors and e/apertures. Rather I think they will extend the FA Limited line with those features on all-new lenses. I won’t be buying HD FA Limited ‘upgrades’ nor selling my MIJ SMC FA Limiteds.
02-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #60
Pentaxian

I believe that many of us Pentaxians want them just to be as they are with such minor changes as coating/glass formula update. Probably inner tubes, aperture blades and lenses rims are also blackened with different kind of material to handle internal reflections better at least I can say that about my own experience with SMC and HD lenses revamps.

Last edited by Reed; 02-22-2021 at 01:39 PM.