Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 10:46 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The big question for me is if the D-FA21 will be better than the D-FA 15-30 @ 21mm. I've had mixed results with the 15-30 , I can't really figure out. Some of my shots were blurry on the left hand side of the frame, although DoF should have been Ok. I took some test shots but could quite reproduce the problem.... maybe some field curvature, I don't know.
I did a quick measurement of the DFA21 taking reference from the side of the prism. It seems the DFA21 is about 67mm with a 20mm deep hood. Thats quite small all things considered so there is likely to be compromises even compared to the huge DFA 15-30 zoom. What the compromises are will be interesting to see.

Attached Images

02-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #62
Pentaxian

You forgot the D-FA*50 and the DA*11-18. So in total that's 3 new premium lenses in 4 years, plus the coating on other lenses and the Tamron rebrand, that a lot of new lenses for a small brand like Pentax (3% market share, or less).
If you go for 4 years, the "easy updates" list should be shortened accordingly.
In terms of lenses, between 2017 and 2020 we had:
- one Tamron rebadge, the 70-210
- two HD versions of existing lenses, the 10-17 fisheye and the 35 f/2
- three new Pentax designs, all high end
On the camera side, the KP should be included (besides the K-1 II).

No HD DA Limiteds, no kit lenses, no multiple Tamron rebadges - as those happened earlier.

Expand the interval, and you'd have to add more new lenses and more cameras - including the K-1.
02-22-2021, 10:52 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I did a quick measurement of the DFA21 taking reference from the side of the prism. It seems the DFA21 is about 67mm with a 20mm deep hood. Thats quite small all things considered so there is likely to be compromises even compared to the huge DFA 15-30 zoom. What the compromises are will be interesting to see.
Compromises? How about the compromise of being a prime, instead of a zoom?
I can't think of any other.
02-22-2021, 11:03 AM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So show those 'newcomers' the photos you take with them.
We are not responsible for their reactions - we can have fun in any case.

I'm seeing entirely too much complaining here - Pentax has said over and over again that their main goal is that their users have fun .... so go out and have it!!
Member @Kerrowdown; is having lots of fun with Pentax-M and Pentax-A lenses!!
Agree whole heartedly !!

02-22-2021, 11:10 AM   #65
Pentaxian

What we see is s a honest update of a nice line of glass. Keep the basics in place and update the coatings. This puts a couple new lenses in the time line. N the background Pentax is working a really new designs, some already released. Nothing wrong about that. If you ask for new designs, you should also mention what is lacking. Many bases are covered, exotic glass would be interesting, but will not sell as well.
02-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Compromises? How about the compromise of being a prime, instead of a zoom?
I can't think of any other.
- Zeiss Milvus 21mm length: 95mm
- Sony G 20mm length: 85mm
- Nikon Z 20mm length: 109mm

etc.

So the Pentax DFA21 looks like it will be smaller which will, if cost is to be reasonable, necessitate compromises compared to those lenses. I like that the made it small in ltd fashion and I'm really looking forward to see what they have achieved. It's a shame Pentax never gets proper lens reviews anymore.
02-22-2021, 11:13 AM   #67
Pentaxian

- Zeiss Milvus 21mm length: 95mm
- Sony G 20mm length: 85mm
- Nikon Z 20mm length: 109mm

etc.

So the Pentax DFA21 looks like it will be smaller which will, if cost is to be reasonable, necessitate compromises compared to those lenses. I like that the made it small in ltd fashion and I'm really looking forward to see what they have achieved. It's a shame Pentax never gets proper lens reviews anymore.
So the Zeiss Milvus is seriously compromised, because it's slower, yet shorter than the Nikon Z? With the Nikon Z being the best of the bunch.
I don't think it works like that... we don't even know the D FA Limited's maximum aperture.

02-22-2021, 11:14 AM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agreed on looking forward to seeing what the D-FA 21 can do. Really interested to see what Pentax engineers created with this lens.
02-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The big question for me is if the D-FA21 will be better than the D-FA 15-30 @ 21mm. I've had mixed results with the 15-30 , I can't really figure out. Some of my shots were blurry on the left hand side of the frame, although DoF should have been Ok. I took some test shots but could quite reproduce the problem.... maybe some field curvature, I don't know.

turn off sr
02-22-2021, 11:37 AM   #70
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
-HD , the 10-17 fisheye
One note at here. I have this lens and it is a bit more than just HD, since it is FF compactible as it has detachable hood. And it does give to you 180 -degree Fov. I have this lens, did not have one before.

one more thing about that fringing, more generally...and HD coating

This lens seemed to have quite strong PF, but I'm not actually sure if it is because of that HD and new tone all in all as I don't shoot with lens profile. But once one has couple click in LR it goes away easy. So IF you look the picture -as is- in LR you'll get more of that, but some how itis very well manageable, unlike older SMC coatings. My conclusion would be that HD coating cut in PF and change it to less agressive tone, so that it is more easy to eliminate. When it comes to FA 77(and FA 43) it is strong and very hard to remove with out damage on the original RAW.

So HD is working, it will be interesting to see how well it will work with these limiteds we know inside out(ones who uses them).
02-22-2021, 11:39 AM - 4 Likes   #71
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
The Limiteds are terrific lenses. Nothing like it from other manufacturers. The fact that they can be sold at very reasonable prices for their finish and performance, due to the fact that developing costs is long paid for, is simply a great bonus for the K-mount system. A complete redesign would probably have made them twice as expensive....
I fully agree.
Moreover, this choice is the best warranty that lens retrocompatibility will be continued in the Pentax DSLR lineup.
02-22-2021, 11:40 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
I am still waiting for a good full frame replacement for the DA* 18-50.....
I suppose you mean *16-50, which is going to get update..

I was just shooting one day with DFA*70-200 and I'd love to get 24-70, but I won't because it is not in same league with DFA*. I agree. I'd love to see DFA*24-70/2.8.

---------- Post added 02-22-21 at 20:44 ----------

I bet there are compromises, when it comes to absolute corner to corner performance, which would be DFA* league. AND it will be interesting to see. One thing what is for sertain is that you can use filters with this one.

I like that size!

Bring it on

I'd believe that is one strong thing going for this limited and that is that size. I like performance with my DFA 15-30 but it is a zoom and very modern, sharp, but it does lack 'character'.
02-22-2021, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #73
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with augmenting new releases - sparse as they may seem - with small but meaningful refreshes of beloved classics in the K-mount line-up. With the K-3 III likely to replace my K-3 in the not too distant future, I will likely focus on adding to my budding collection of DA Limiteds, rather than spending the premium on the bigger FA Limiteds, but camera systems are about choice, and I appreciate Ricoh's efforts to give the FA Limiteds a new, even slightly improved lease of life. As others have noted, Ricoh could have just dropped them, which would have been a loss to the system.

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 02-22-2021 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Nuance.
02-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I bet there are compromises, when it comes to absolute corner to corner performance, which would be DFA* league. AND it will be interesting to see. One thing what is for sertain is that you can use filters with this one.

I like that size!
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The face kinda says it all...
Bring it on

I'd believe that is one strong thing going for this limited and that is that size. I like performance with my DFA 15-30 but it is a zoom and very modern, sharp, but it does lack 'character'.
Of course there are compromises.
That is the difference between a {petite} "Limited" lens and a 'perfect' {and larger} "Star" lens.
02-22-2021, 12:37 PM   #75
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess I think this release makes sense. The FA limiteds are still very nice lenses. They are relatively cheap (even after the HD update) compared to the DFA * primes and if they are running low on stock for them, it makes sense to tweak them to sell a few more. I still own the FA 31 limited and it is a very nice lens. I sold my FA 77 when I bought the DFA *85 but I was pleased with it as well except for some purple fringing.

It is pretty clear that a total re-do of the lenses with sealing, quick shift, and in lens motor wasn't in the cards at this point. Who knows but what they might do that down the road, but for now, this is the sort of update I would expect.