Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 384 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2021, 04:00 PM   #91
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
The point raised put more simply... stick some glass on your camera body and take pictures.

Remember at the end of the day... it's all about the image, not the kit used to achieve it.
remembering that I claim no expertise, I just post a lot

my theory: equipment + experience + knowledge equals good photography

I've seen photos from others with what some might consider not using the " latest and brightest " equipment that take my breath away

so get out there with what you have got and take photos

disclaimer:

my opinion and $ will buy coffee [ or other beverage ] at your favorite restaurant

02-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #92
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
my opinion and $ will buy coffee [ or other beverage ] at your favourite restaurant
Good to hear that it's your round...
02-22-2021, 05:29 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.solidbackgrounds.com/images/2880x1800/2880x1800-viridian-solid-color-background.jpg

Verdigris is similar, but not quite: 2732x2732 Verdigris Solid Color Background
02-23-2021, 12:12 AM   #94
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PocketPixels Quote
My expectation for some time has been that Ricoh is mostly going to update the back-catalog of "legacy" Pentax glass with HD coatings. They may add weather-resistance, better lens hoods, silver color options, rounded aperture blades, and make other adjustments that do not require redoing an optical formula.

• Ricoh did exactly that with the HD DA 10–17mm Fish-Eye about 18 months ago: HD coatings, the hood is now detachable, but the overall specs of the lens aren't wildly different.
• Hoya (Ricoh?) did this with the HD Limiteds about 7 years ago.
• Hoya did this with the WR version of the DA 18–55 kit lens about 8 years go.
• Ricoh did a di minimis update with the D-FA★70-200 Silver and the D-FA★85mm Silver
• I honestly don't know anything about 645, but I hope you big sensor guys get some HD love, too.

I think HD updates are nice. Not thrilling, but nice. To me, they represent modestly encouraging signs of life and vitality in the brand. I completely understand those of you who are underwhelmed by the notion of HD coatings on 1996 optical formulae. My guess is that Ricoh doesn't have a huge department of lens engineers inventing new designs. So the DA★ 11–18mm, the HD D-FA★ 50mm 1.4, and the upcoming D-FA 21mm Limited and (possible) HD DA★ 16–50mm are all that Pentax has in the pipeline for "new" lenses. (Also, as an aside, I can't say enough about how good the new Pentax "opera glass" VD binoculars are; mine are truly innovative and clever.)

The experience with the SMC Limiteds —> HD Limiteds seems instructive. Pentax unveilled 6 "new" lenses, even though only one—the HD DA 20–40mm Limited—was a truly "new" design. They seem to have sold quite a few of these lenses. I deplored the introduction of rounded aperture blades on the HD 15 and 21, I welcomed the introduction of rounded aperture blades on the HD 70, and I have no particular opinion of the 20–40mm. I bought the HD version of the Fish-Eye once the price hit $450 on sale, and intend to keep both of them.

Everything I've written so far has some historical data to support it. Without a shred of evidence, I hope we'll see an HD DA WR 12–24mm and and HD DA★ 200mm, but I imagine those are coming…very…slowly…if they are coming at all.
Nice list, you still kind a forgot that DFA*85 has been there too and with that it is interesting, because they did begin with design never surfaced and they did go a head and made completelly new design which we see now which is top of the top, do you think this is nothing worth to mention? also we do know that they are still workng with atleast one more DFA* wide lens on top of 21 limited, and new models of DA*16-50 + 50-135 and there is prosumer 70-300 zoom coming. Knowing that * lenses and that limited are made with highest standards, it sounds great that they are updating, not only HD coatings, but also lenses through out to get these legacy lenses which are great still to be up to the date with udated barrels and gears and stuff. It is more than just coatings you know as these are sold as new items...

02-23-2021, 12:40 AM   #95
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I think it's an easy task to solve this equation: The character of the 21 limited to the lenses you mentioned is as the 77 limited to the DFA* 85 1.4.
But there is no UWA prime to compare to and the compromises with a UWA are very different from those of a tele. The limiteds don't all have the same character so the character of the DFA21 is unknown. Will the effort be but in bokeh, fringing, center sharpness, speed, distortion and what will the combination of those choices result in.
02-23-2021, 01:12 AM - 1 Like   #96
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I think this release makes sense. The FA limiteds are still very nice lenses. They are relatively cheap (even after the HD update) compared to the DFA * primes and if they are running low on stock for them, it makes sense to tweak them to sell a few more. I still own the FA 31 limited and it is a very nice lens. I sold my FA 77 when I bought the DFA *85 but I was pleased with it as well except for some purple fringing.

It is pretty clear that a total re-do of the lenses with sealing, quick shift, and in lens motor wasn't in the cards at this point. Who knows but what they might do that down the road, but for now, this is the sort of update I would expect.
I’m pretty sure all of the limiteds except the 20-40 are screwdrive, which plays a part in keeping them small. And the FA line implies compatibility with film bodies; they’d be redesigned and rebranded D FA otherwise, like the macros.
02-23-2021, 01:44 AM - 6 Likes   #97
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Tell Covid to scram so I can go hiking!
Come to New Zealand, it is summer here and you can hike. Oh, except our borders are closed. Sorry...

02-23-2021, 01:53 AM   #98
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Nice list, you still kind a forgot that DFA*85 has been there too and with that it is interesting, because they did begin with design never surfaced and they did go a head and made completelly new design which we see now which is top of the top, do you think this is nothing worth to mention?
DFA*85 is impressive piece of glass. Well worth the time and effort Pentax put into it. I love that lens. I hope they take their time with coming DFA*wide angle to create similar masterpiece and will not release it before it's perfect.

On topic. I still lack all of the FA limiteds. I was kind of hoping an upgrade to WR bodies along the path of coming DFA21ltd, but seems that's not coming. 21 and 43 are the most interesting to me, but will see what DFA* offers in wide before making any decisions. Until then I think I go with my M's.
02-23-2021, 02:02 AM   #99
Pentaxian

I hope that the HD "upgrade" doesn't affect the colors rendition to still use these lenses on film.
02-23-2021, 02:07 AM   #100
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'll fix that for you (ref the 21) I want the peak resolution of the Zeiss 25, smooth as silk oof transitions, butterly bokeh and for a stretch goal close focus abilities. Add in silent AF, MF with fingertip lightness and weather sealing. Oh and a wider frame of view. Not too much to ask surely?

Last edited by robbiec; 02-23-2021 at 02:14 AM.
02-23-2021, 03:57 AM - 1 Like   #101
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
turn off sr
SR was turned off , on tripod, long exposure.
02-23-2021, 04:03 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I did a quick measurement of the DFA21 taking reference from the side of the prism. It seems the DFA21 is about 67mm with a 20mm deep hood. Thats quite small all things considered so there is likely to be compromises even compared to the huge DFA 15-30 zoom. What the compromises are will be interesting to see.
Nice work there, house. Using the same technique, what do you think the diameter of the front element might be?
02-23-2021, 04:18 AM   #103
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
Nice work there, house. Using the same technique, what do you think the diameter of the front element might be?
About 40mm from what I had measured last time I did that. For reference, the Nikon 20mm f/1.8G has a front element measuring about 47mm or whereabouts.
02-23-2021, 04:39 AM   #104
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sykil Quote
I’m pretty sure all of the limiteds except the 20-40 are screwdrive, which plays a part in keeping them small. And the FA line implies compatibility with film bodies; they’d be redesigned and rebranded D FA otherwise, like the macros.
in case someone is wondering, Sykil is 100 % correct

QuoteQuote:
About the SMC Pentax-FA Lens Series
SMC Pentax-FA lenses have fixed focal lengths and can be used with both Film and Digital Pentax SLRs. They cover the full-frame 24x36mm image circle.
Auto-focus
Auto-aperture (aperture ring available)
Select lenses feature Power Zoom
Film & Digital

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/lensreviews/SMC-Pentax-FA-Lenses-c30.html#ixzz6nIHIHvZy

the DA Limiteds primes are screw drive as well
02-23-2021, 05:03 AM   #105
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
45-50mm (I measured ~47mm but accuracy is not good due to the images I have available)