Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 11:03 AM   #271
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by D1N0 Quote
Keep the old version for starbursts. This K-1 II version is just ridiculous. Just for Japan maybe.
If it results in more Pentax sales, it is great.
I don't have to - and won't - purchase one.

02-25-2021, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #272
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm reading all this ranting and raving about how cameras with color and a little style and flash are so uncouth and it's hard to not imagine a bunch of mutton-chopped, portly aristocrats sitting around the drawing room with tea, hrrumphing about the poor chap who came to dinner in a black tie without tails. Oh the scandal! Did his under-butler not tell him what appropriate dinnerwear is in polite society? Goodness. Who doesn't have a white tie and tails, must be the son of a laborer? And did you see? He had a (*blushes*) red camera with an unsightly overhang on the top! Might as well have had a prostitute on his arm and some of that scandalous jazz on the Victrola! Piffle, my dear boy, piffle!! Perhaps in a provincial backwater of the Empire, but not here, not on my watch!
Where did Empire come from? Check my location, then perhaps if you know how, Google "the burning of Cork" and by whom, then try not to associate my posts with Empire

I was merely commenting on the astetic of the limited edition of the K-1ii and its announcement alongside the FA Limited refresh which from a design philosophy do not immediately pair well.

I also observed that perhaps Pentax / Ricoh are missing a trick by not celebrating the very single minded pursuit of designing lens that do not blindly follow the mantra of absolutely correct rendition but rather a lens that allows a more analog rendition that imparts a greater sense of vitality in the area the photographer wants to highlight to the possible detriment of other areas. And use that to build brand awareness, convert that into a cachet of recognition of quality that companies like Leica have been surviving very successfully with.

Last edited by robbiec; 02-25-2021 at 11:08 AM.
02-25-2021, 11:09 AM   #273
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If they were portly, the drink would be, ummmmm, port perhaps?

Steve
shirley that would be after dining
02-25-2021, 11:11 AM   #274
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Where did Empire come from? Check my location, then perhaps if you know how, Google "the burning of Cork" and by whom..

I was merely commenting on the astetic of the limited edition of the K-1ii and its announcement alongside the FA Limited refresh which from a design philosophy do not immediately pair well.

I also observed that perhaps Pentax / Ricoh are missing a trick by not celebrating the very single minded pursuit of designing lens that do not blindly follow the mantra of absolutely correct rendition but rather a lens that allows a more analog rendition that imparts a greater sense of vitality in the area the photographer wants to highlight to the possible detriment of other areas. And use that to build brand awareness, convert that into a cachet of recognition of quality that companies like Leica have been surviving very successfully with.
I didn't mean anything specifically towards you, just responding to the general sentiment expressed by many in this thread and others that cameras in anything but Professional Photographer Black are complete nonsense.

02-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #275
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I didn't mean anything specifically towards you, just responding to the general sentiment expressed by many in this thread and others that cameras in anything but Professional Photographer Black are complete nonsense.
Fair enough. The colours actually are not so bad, seem to be good quality with a deep coat but that Prism overhang thing is very weird to my tastes anyway.
02-25-2021, 11:41 AM - 1 Like   #276
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I would be partial to a K-3iii in safari colors if it were offered, though that is sort of Imperial too.

Steve
02-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #277
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
It's just that so many cheap lenses are now machined. The FA ltd's look nicer but tech is the same as the new sigmas for instance but those have a lot more expensive glass in them.

The pricing of the limiteds is luxury based only I'd say. A fair amount of people would deride them if they were cheap. Like all luxury items the high price is part of the appeal.
There may be some validity to what you say, but expecting prices of third party lenses to match those of camera makers has always been a useless exercise. We all know that Sigma, Tamron, etc. prices have always been lower than those of Canon, Nikon, Pentax...

02-25-2021, 12:23 PM   #278
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Not surprising. It is a terrific lens (at least the SMC version)
Wasn't it rated as the best liked Pentax lens on this very site?
I was (implicitly) referring to the film photography part.
02-25-2021, 12:48 PM - 1 Like   #279
Pentaxian

At least B&H found room for the new lenses in their ad today
Attached Images

02-25-2021, 01:05 PM   #280
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I might consider the HD Pentax-FA 43/1.9 Limited, as its predecessor is the most difficult to love of the three.
And here is where you and I disagree; I find the 43 the easiest to love, and the 31 quite the opposite. I prefer the Sigma 30/1.4 for the kind of things I use a fast 30 for. Agree wholeheartedly the 31 is better in general, but for me, the Sigma 30 does what I need it to do better than the 31: Indoor portraits of family and friends.

My most-likely path forward will be to keep the 43 I have, sell the 31 outright, and maybe upgrade the 77 to the HD; but then again, my 77 is a beautiful, early silver MIJ, so I probably won't do that, either.
02-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #281
Pentaxian

I am curious to see how the HD coatings might help the limiteds. Sold my 77mm because the harsh Arizona light brought out some bad purple fringing until it was stopped down to f2.8. Those K1 remakes look pretty bad to my eyes. Remind me of my K30 that I do not miss haha
02-25-2021, 02:44 PM   #282
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
At least B&H found room for the new lenses in their ad today
Pity the beautiful mount pointer nub that they are so glowing about was made quite a bit less useful when they released the *istD.
02-25-2021, 04:44 PM   #283
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
I am curious to see how the HD coatings might help the limiteds.
Maybe you'll find an answer in the comparision of HD against smc Limited Lenses:
HD vs. SMC Pentax Limited Primes Review - Aberrations and Flare | PentaxForums.com Reviews
02-25-2021, 06:41 PM - 2 Likes   #284
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Japanese pop culture is ripe with Mech technology lore. I'll take me a Red one please...

---------- Post added 02-25-21 at 07:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Personally, I prefer my bling to be in front of the K-mount, and the AOCo logo to be on the pentaprism
Who did the stick on AOCo logos up and are they still available?

**ERdit** Thanks to @JPT for sharing the camera images back on Page 10... i didnt realize how far this thread had advanced before posting....
Attached Images

Last edited by mattt; 02-25-2021 at 06:47 PM.
02-25-2021, 11:54 PM - 2 Likes   #285
Unoriginal Poster
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Who did the stick on AOCo logos up and are they still available?
It was Peter. He had someone to make him a patch. I got stickers on my K3 and K1ii.