Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2021, 07:42 PM - 3 Likes   #361
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I'd get more enjoyment of ownership from a few good bottles if Scotch.
So did the designer of that horror.

03-04-2021, 07:47 PM - 5 Likes   #362
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not drink - family tales say that males have largely abstained since our fore-bearer drank too much on Christmas Eve at Trenton NJ one year and was caught by someone named Washington, who dodged ice in tiny boats to do so.

But back to the pictures, I have decided that I would gladly accept a K-1 for $750 or less regardless of what it looked like.
03-05-2021, 12:58 AM   #363
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You must be very pleased that the tarrifs on Scottish single malt has been suspended for now.
03-05-2021, 01:01 AM - 3 Likes   #364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The usual answer to questions like these is “Japanese collectors”.
Maybe they won’t sell, and you can get one for $750.
Aren't these built to order?
Besides, they had before the KP... if that hadn't worked, there would be no point in making a second model.

03-05-2021, 01:24 AM - 5 Likes   #365
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of you are clearly too old to appreciate the extravagance of the design

If I had a sack of money lying around I'd go to Japan, get the metallic one with silver D FA* set, have a fortnight of photo taking and worry about customs later
03-05-2021, 05:45 AM   #366
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
You must be very pleased that the tarrifs on Scottish single malt has been suspended for now.
Not really. It means there is less for me since more is being directed south of the border.
The tarrifs were not a Canadian thing.
03-05-2021, 05:53 AM   #367
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Aren't these built to order?
Besides, they had before the KP... if that hadn't worked, there would be no point in making a second model.
This doesn't make any sense - order of construction does not matter, K-1J were built for Japanese collectors, regardless of when they were built. Period.

Last edited by reh321; 03-05-2021 at 07:05 AM.
03-05-2021, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #368
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Some of you are clearly too old to appreciate the extravagance of the design

If I had a sack of money lying around I'd go to Japan, get the metallic one with silver D FA* set, have a fortnight of photo taking and worry about customs later
In a world where DSLRs are seen as a tool for grandpa's holiday, an anime-inspired look is exactly the point. I think Ricoh would be disappointed by anything but the "goodness, what a monstrosity!" reaction from their usual core demographic. This is specifically targeted to people who don't want a stodgy black camera to disappear with into the crowd while queuing up to see the Washington Monument.

03-05-2021, 07:11 AM   #369
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
This is specifically targeted to people who don't want a stodgy black camera to disappear with into the crowd while queuing up to see the Washington Monument.
The Washington Monument is a poor choice - I’ve never seen people line up there - no matter how many are photographing just step a few feet to the side, or better yet, a few feet back and include a photographer or two in your photo, but you made your point.
03-05-2021, 07:38 AM   #370
Loyal Site Supporter

In a world where DSLRs are seen as a tool for grandpa's holiday, an anime-inspired look is exactly the point. I think Ricoh would be disappointed by anything but the "goodness, what a monstrosity!" reaction from their usual core demographic. This is specifically targeted to people who don't want a stodgy black camera to disappear with into the crowd while queuing up to see the Washington Monument.
Yup, lets build a camera for a market that doesn't exist.

The whole collectors thing falls flat on it's face. DSLRs are not "collectors items", but if they were, it would be better to make a collectors item for your market rather than targeting a market that doesn't know you exist and wouldn't buy what you are making even if they were aware of you.

I was discussing collectors items with an audiophile friend. A recent listing on a marketplace on a website he inhabits was for an original Sony Walkman, still unopened in it's original blister pack. The guy was asking $10K for it as it is a "collectors item". Apparently the best offer he got was a few hundred dollars, which, if inflation is taken into account, is probably about what the thing cost when new. Some things just aren't collectors items, no matter how rare they are, and no matter how much wishful thinking wants them to be collectors items.

There is a certain irony that the same people who are saying people who invest in lenses get exactly what they deserve when they depreciate are all over this ugly duckling of a camera being a collector's item like kids at a candy counter when it is a product that is guaranteed to have zero residual value the moment it walks out of the store.

Ricoh is giving the brand minimal resources, if they want to use those resources wisely, I can think of a number of focal length lenses that could come before this monstrosity that no amount of alcohol and will turn beautiful.
03-05-2021, 07:45 AM - 1 Like   #371
Veteran Member

Yup, lets build a camera for a market that doesn't exist.

The whole collectors thing falls flat on it's face. DSLRs are not "collectors items", but if they were, it would be better to make a collectors item for your market rather than targeting a market that doesn't know you exist and wouldn't buy what you are making even if they were aware of you.

I was discussing collectors items with an audiophile friend. A recent listing on a marketplace on a website he inhabits was for an original Sony Walkman, still unopened in it's original blister pack. The guy was asking $10K for it as it is a "collectors item". Apparently the best offer he got was a few hundred dollars, which, if inflation is taken into account, is probably about what the thing cost when new. Some things just aren't collectors items, no matter how rare they are, and no matter how much wishful thinking wants them to be collectors items.

There is a certain irony that the same people who are saying people who invest in lenses get exactly what they deserve when they depreciate are all over this ugly duckling of a camera being a collector's item like kids at a candy counter when it is a product that is guaranteed to have zero residual value the moment it walks out of the store.

Ricoh is giving the brand minimal resources, if they want to use those resources wisely, I can think of a number of focal length lenses that could come before this monstrosity that no amount of alcohol and will turn beautiful.
It's the "there's one born every minute" marketing strategy. I had a look at close ups of this sinister device and even the cheap looking screw heads don't match. We have reached peak parts bin special. Oh and is it special! Wow!
03-05-2021, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
It's the "there's one born every minute" marketing strategy. I had a look at close ups of this sinister device and even the cheap looking screw heads don't match. We have reached peak parts bin special. Oh and is it special! Wow!
Of course, anything that doesn't suit your personal taste is designed to lure in rubes and suckers.
03-05-2021, 08:10 AM   #373
Veteran Member

Of course, anything that doesn't suit your personal taste is designed to lure in rubes and suckers.
Sure, but that thing fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
03-05-2021, 08:12 AM   #374
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This takes up barely any resources. I'd be willing to bet that after they sell a 100 copies they'll have recouped the cost.
03-05-2021, 08:18 AM   #375
Loyal Site Supporter

---------- Post added Mar 5th, 2021 at 09:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
This takes up barely any resources. I'd be willing to bet that after they sell a 100 copies they'll have recouped the cost.
Are you aware of the term death by a thousand cuts?
Don't get me wrong, I wish them well, I just think they could be utilizing their resources more wisely, such as a KP replacement model, a
D FA* 135/1.8, a D FA* 24/2, a D FA* 15/3.5, a D FA* 35/1.4, a K1-3, you get the idea......