Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2021, 08:38 AM - 1 Like   #376
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

Are you aware of the term death by a thousand cuts?
Don't get me wrong, I wish them well, I just think they could be utilizing their resources more wisely, such as a KP replacement model, a
D FA* 135/1.8, a D FA* 24/2, a D FA* 15/3.5, a D FA* 35/1.4, a K1-3, you get the idea......
I do, but if the model brings in money and the design doesn't take resources from the main team (the J Limited is a joint venture, so it wouldn't be manpower for Pentax anyway) then it's a net positive.

They've done the KP Limited before - presumably it was profitable enough to make this look like a good idea. Ricoh doesn't seem to make things to not sell lately. The Japanese market has a place for very - ehm, eclectic things from the Western point of view.

And seriously, the Titanium LX color without the prism overhangs would go great with the FA Limiteds... but it's ridiculously expensive.

03-05-2021, 08:45 AM - 2 Likes   #377
Pentaxian

Are you aware of the term death by a thousand cuts?
Don't get me wrong, I wish them well, I just think they could be utilizing their resources more wisely, such as a KP replacement model, a
D FA* 135/1.8, a D FA* 24/2, a D FA* 15/3.5, a D FA* 35/1.4, a K1-3, you get the idea......
And what resources are we talking about? The ex-Pentax designer who made these covers? The wood and leather works artisans? Perhaps the Duratect Citizen guys?
Which of those do you think would be able to work on the products you're mentioning?
03-05-2021, 08:50 AM   #378
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And what resources are we talking about? The ex-Pentax designer who made these covers? The wood and leather works artisans? Perhaps the Duratect Citizen guys?
Which of those do you think would be able to work on the products you're mentioning?
Are you saying all these people did the work out of the goodness of their hearts and the pleasure of seeing their work on a pig that no amount of lipstick will make pretty?
I don't know about you, but I charge money for my work unless it's for a charity or non profit. I hope that Ricoh/Pentax hasn't moved into that category.
03-05-2021, 09:00 AM - 1 Like   #379
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you saying all these people did the work out of the goodness of their hearts and the pleasure of seeing their work on a pig that no amount of lipstick will make pretty?
I don't know about you, but I charge money for my work unless it's for a charity or non profit. I hope that Ricoh/Pentax hasn't moved into that category.
I personally like the rubber work much more than the standard one, and the grip is cool as well. Aesthetically, I'd rather have the J-Limited. The only objectionable parts IMO are the clip-on prism covers, and those are removable.

03-05-2021, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #380
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Sure, but that thing fell from the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.
Why the heck should you (we) care if it sells? I don't get it.
03-05-2021, 10:32 AM - 1 Like   #381
Pentaxian

That's not making much sense, if any.
We're talking about built-to-order customization of existing Ricoh Imaging products. It would be possible to get a standard K-1 II, do some disassembly to paint the body and coat the lens mount; but it looks like the assembly is done in the factory with the customized elements.
There's some firmware customization, User Modes presets and logos. The standard "improved stability for general performance" might be more challenging.
Then, there's some marketing - nothing much.

Ricoh Imaging isn't paying huge amounts of money which could better be used to develop new cameras and lenses. That's absurd.
03-05-2021, 11:19 AM   #382
Pentaxian

It is an investment with a very good return.

03-05-2021, 11:32 AM   #383
Pentaxian

If yourself out of ideas and need money quickly, design a J.
Hasselblad would offer different colors.
Leica lives on limited editions.
Simple wins are no t easy for everyone though. Just do this or that type of talk does not help.
03-05-2021, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #384
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Why the heck should you (we) care if it sells? I don't get it.
I don't care. No interest. Just commenting that the thing is ugly. Which it is.
03-05-2021, 12:42 PM   #385
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some of us don't care what it looks like, but are not willing to pay a premium for the regular K-1ii functionality.
03-05-2021, 01:08 PM - 3 Likes   #386
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're stating your opinion as fact. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
03-05-2021, 01:11 PM - 1 Like   #387
Pentaxian

For some, differenciation / scarcity is enough.
03-05-2021, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #388
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
For some, differenciation / scarcity is enough.
These are targeted to collectors.
03-05-2021, 02:51 PM - 1 Like   #389
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And I'm commenting that it looks better than the normal one... which it does
It's almost like it's a subjective thing.
03-05-2021, 03:05 PM - 1 Like   #390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
And I'm commenting that it looks better than the normal one... which it does
It's almost like it's a subjective thing.
It's still ugly. 😋