Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 384 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2021, 03:45 AM - 3 Likes   #406
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
It's still ugly. 😋
Sure, but you aren't the intended audience.

I think Pentax knows what sells in Japan much better than any of those on this thread do. If they can sell a three year old camera for a little more money by doing these tweaks to it, it's no skin off my nose. There is no huge investment of man power to make these and it isn't taking engineers away from other projects, like a 645z sequel or K-1 II sequel.

03-07-2021, 09:53 AM   #407
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Sure, but you aren't the intended audience.

I think Pentax knows what sells in Japan much better than any of those on this thread do. If they can sell a three year old camera for a little more money by doing these tweaks to it, it's no skin off my nose. There is no huge investment of man power to make these and it isn't taking engineers away from other projects, like a 645z sequel or K-1 II sequel.
The intended audience doesn't use cameras, they use cell phones.
This thing is still using resources that could be better used elsewhere.
Sure, they aren't paying an engineer to design it, but they are paying people to create it. That's resources that could be better served elsewhere.
03-07-2021, 10:00 AM   #408
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Sure, they aren't paying an engineer to design it, but they are paying people to create it. That's resources that could be better served elsewhere.
Are you sure this isn't making them "resources"? (i.e. money) That it doesn't work as marketing as well?
Are you sure you know better than them about the intended audience? Don't forget this is the second J Limited series, after the KP (they would've noticed if nobody ordered these).
Are you sure there's a more effective way to use the money? Are you sure Ricoh Imaging is "paying people to create it", when the design changes are from a third party?

Last edited by Kunzite; 03-07-2021 at 10:11 AM.
03-07-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #409
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it more about brand building. About individualism. Not be part of the (Nikon and Canon + the rest) crowd....

03-07-2021, 10:38 AM   #410
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No, the "intended audience" are Japanese collectors who put them in cabinets or on fireplace mantles and dust them off occasionally.
03-07-2021, 11:23 AM - 2 Likes   #411
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarneyL Quote
What's the big prism cover made of?
The top prism cover is brass (真鍮), smaller cover is plastic.

PENTAX J limited 01|???????FAQ|????&???? | RICOH IMAGING (in Japanese)
03-07-2021, 11:31 AM   #412
Pentaxian

Interesting, you'd have to remove the brass cover before using GPS and WiFi.

03-07-2021, 12:23 PM - 1 Like   #413
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I guess. I just think that North American (and probably European) sensibilities are different Japanese ones. I would pay more for a standard black K-1 than for one of these, but that doesn't mean that that is everyone's perspective.

Pentax has sold a variety of cameras that were odd to me, but it's really OK. I don't have to buy everything that they turn out.
03-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #414
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might as well just give up on cameras altogether, then, if the only people willing to buy a camera are over a certain age.
03-07-2021, 03:50 PM - 1 Like   #415
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have zero idea about Ricoh's intended audience, but people who are actually interested are people who use cameras.

Search for "J Limited 01" on twitter to find the users who are contemplating to order or are seriously attracted by the design. I started counting the number and quickly stopped at 10, it was apparent that there were many more. Anyway, 8 out of these 10 people post nice photos shot with cameras on twitter or blog, and I haven't found any evidence that the remaining two only use cell phone for photography.

https://twitter.com/search?q=J%20limited%2001&src=recent_search_click
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Interesting, you'd have to remove the brass cover before using GPS and WiFi.
Yes. That was also in the FAQ I linked. If you look at the pictures of J-Limited with the bigger cover, you'll notice that the GPS button is blocked (covered).
Attached Images

Last edited by kwb; 03-07-2021 at 03:56 PM.
03-07-2021, 04:05 PM   #416
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
No, the "intended audience" are Japanese collectors who put them in cabinets or on fireplace mantles and dust them off occasionally.
Ok, fair enough. I really don't see any digital camera as a being a collectors item that will have any significant residual value, but I suppose a lot of people wouldn't see the value in my Japanese hand saw collection either.
03-07-2021, 05:48 PM   #417
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ok, fair enough. I really don't see any digital camera as a being a collectors item that will have any significant residual value, but I suppose a lot of people wouldn't see the value in my Japanese hand saw collection either.
Most people I know who collect stuff do it for the joy of the collection itself - not to make a profit.
03-07-2021, 06:05 PM   #418
dbs
Pentaxian

A bit of " bling " for a camera ......... why not
Ugly fugly who really cares , anyway you have to visit Japan to get one.

The HD FA ltd seem interesting only if the " character " of the lenses are not changed
03-07-2021, 06:56 PM   #419
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I owned the DA 20-40 for two days... I returned it because my copy was a lemon.
When I get one, what should I look out for to make sure it is not also a lemon??

Last edited by reh321; 03-07-2021 at 07:15 PM.
03-07-2021, 07:50 PM   #420
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
When I get one, what should I look out for to make sure it is not also a lemon??
My copy was strongly decentered at 40mm - the right side was much softer than the left, no matter how far I stopped down. Also the autofocus was inconsistent at infinity - sometimes it would lock and sometimes not.