Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2021, 05:55 AM   #436
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
Just checked my wife's 20-40 Ltd: definitely NOT 'focus-by-wire'. A proper mechanical connection, with smooth and precise action.

In my experience, focus-by-wire can be fine when implemented well - the Olympus 300/4 for example has very smooth and precise control. However, the focus control on most of the non-Pro M4/3 lenses I've used is fairly horrible. I've not tried the Pentax 18-50 or 55-300 PLM, so can't judge the Pentax versions. I expect the new DA* 16-50/2.8 to have a good feel, and very fast action in autofocus. Available soon.... .....
What do you mean by "focus-by-wire"? The 20-40 Ltd has a built-in focusing motor that's controlled electronically by the body. It is most definitely not screwdrive autofocus. It is what I'd consider focus-by-wire.

03-15-2021, 06:26 AM - 3 Likes   #437
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What do you mean by "focus-by-wire"?
Focus by wire is when manual focus is controlling a focusing motor and not directly and mechanically moving lens elements.
03-15-2021, 08:22 AM   #438
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
What do you mean by "focus-by-wire"? The 20-40 Ltd has a built-in focusing motor that's controlled electronically by the body. It is most definitely not screwdrive autofocus. It is what I'd consider focus-by-wire.
What @gazonk said ^^

With power off / disconnected from the body, turning the focus ring on a 'focus-by-wire' lens does absolutely nothing. The majority of M4/3 lenses are like this, as are the DA 18-50 DC WR RE kit lens and DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE. I understand that the forthcoming DA* 16-50 PLM will also be focus by wire. I don't know anything about other manufacturers' lens, but I suspect it is becoming common with other MILC systems.
03-15-2021, 11:57 AM   #439
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
What @gazonk said ^^

With power off / disconnected from the body, turning the focus ring on a 'focus-by-wire' lens does absolutely nothing. The majority of M4/3 lenses are like this, as are the DA 18-50 DC WR RE kit lens and DA 55-300mm ED PLM WR RE. I understand that the forthcoming DA* 16-50 PLM will also be focus by wire. I don't know anything about other manufacturers' lens, but I suspect it is becoming common with other MILC systems.

I have Oly 12-40/2.8. Not very fast, but yes. nothing happens even in 'manual' mode when there is no power.

There are advantages in this too. But then again. I was shooting video with 12-40 + BMPCC4K and for some reason there was problem wth the lens and camera. all of the sudden lens AF went off, it was in manual focus mode and focused. It just went oof and I could not focus it again no matter what. I removed the lens and cleaned contacts put it back, and had to repeat it. This was paid gig. I had pentax MF lens in other camera and I pulled it off. and all of the sudden oly lens did begin to work as it should. Not sure what happened. Anyway. this is a bit derailing the thread.

All in all PLM is welcome and possibilities as well as very fast focus coming from there is something I'll want to get my hands at as it arrives.

03-15-2021, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #440
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I have Oly 12-40/2.8. Not very fast, but yes. nothing happens even in 'manual' mode when there is no power.

There are advantages in this too. But then again. I was shooting video with 12-40 + BMPCC4K and for some reason there was problem wth the lens and camera. all of the sudden lens AF went off, it was in manual focus mode and focused. It just went oof and I could not focus it again no matter what. I removed the lens and cleaned contacts put it back, and had to repeat it. This was paid gig. I had pentax MF lens in other camera and I pulled it off. and all of the sudden oly lens did begin to work as it should. Not sure what happened. Anyway. this is a bit derailing the thread.

All in all PLM is welcome and possibilities as well as very fast focus coming from there is something I'll want to get my hands at as it arrives.
I agree, PLM is very welcome. I brought this up only in connection to the FA limiteds. They would loose something of their appeal if the focus ring would just drive a motor. (I am aware of other in lens motors that dont make this happen).
03-15-2021, 12:21 PM   #441
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I agree, PLM is very welcome. I brought this up only in connection to the FA limiteds. They would loose something of their appeal if the focus ring would just drive a motor. (I am aware of other in lens motors that dont make this happen).
I do agree with that.
04-11-2021, 09:12 AM   #442
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thought I'd check out this thread to try and get an idea what are the likely improvements of the HD coating on the FA31. Lots to read, but it didn't exactly answer my question. So:

This morning I tried the SMC FA31 and the HD FA 24-70 and HD FA 15-30 f2.8 into the sun. Yes, I appreciate they are very different internal designs... The surprising thing to me was just how flare resistant the zooms were. I focussed on a tree with the sun centered above and took several shots, inclining the angle until the sun was just out of the frame. I set them all to be 30/31mm.

The 31mm flare badly and the contrast was poor. No real surprises. I looked at the DA HD v SMC review on this site and the conclusion was that the HD coatings were better, but not as much better as I saw today in my comparison.

And so to my question: if the HD coating does improve things in a similar way to the DA coating changes, is it likely the significant flare differences I experienced today are likely to be the internal design along with the coating? Thus, the HD will be better, but not as good as modern designs?

Last edited by BarryE; 04-11-2021 at 09:21 AM.
04-11-2021, 02:57 PM   #443
dbs
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you want a new SMC FA ltd you better be quick
04-11-2021, 04:32 PM   #444
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote

This morning I tried the SMC FA31 and the HD FA 24-70 and HD FA 15-30 f2.8 into the sun. Yes, I appreciate they are very different internal designs... The surprising thing to me was just how flare resistant the zooms were. I focussed on a tree with the sun centered above and took several shots, inclining the angle until the sun was just out of the frame. I set them all to be 30/31mm.

The 31mm flare badly and the contrast was poor. No real surprises. I looked at the DA HD v SMC review on this site and the conclusion was that the HD coatings were better, but not as much better as I saw today in my comparison.
In my experience, the SMC DA 15 Limited is far more flare resistant than the DFA 15-30 at 15mm. The bulbous front element of the zoom catches oblique sunlight and makes rainbows! Flare has more to do with optical construction than with coatings.
04-13-2021, 09:38 AM   #445
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
In my experience, the SMC DA 15 Limited is far more flare resistant than the DFA 15-30 at 15mm. The bulbous front element of the zoom catches oblique sunlight and makes rainbows! Flare has more to do with optical construction than with coatings.
Yes, the old DA15mm has good flare resistance. Your comment that construction, rather than coating, is more significant, will make the forthcoming reviews particularly interesting, especially with the new HDs being priced lower than the SMCs. I recently bought the 15-30 for some interiors, but I've had more time (:-( ) to play with it outside. I've struggled to like the 31, and have been impressed so far with the 15-30. I'll set it some more challenging side light to see how it responds ...
04-14-2021, 03:51 PM   #446

are there any news on the release day for the updated 31/43/77 lenses?
04-14-2021, 06:55 PM   #447
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by quaternion Quote
Amazon US now lists 29 April 2021, the same date they give for the K-3 iii.
04-15-2021, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #448
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by quaternion Quote
Official release date is 28 April 2021 in Japan :

HD PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8 Limited / Limited / 広角レンズ / Kマウントレンズ / 製品 | RICOH IMAGING
HD PENTAX-FA 43mmF1.9 Limited / Limited / 標準レンズ / Kマウントレンズ / 製品 | RICOH IMAGING
HD PENTAX-FA 77mmF1.8 Limited / Limited / 望遠レンズ / Kマウントレンズ / 製品 | RICOH IMAGING
04-15-2021, 02:54 AM   #449
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Outside the K3iii, the revised Theta, and these three Limiteds, I wonder if there is anything else being released on the 28th of April...

-Eric
04-15-2021, 05:06 AM - 1 Like   #450
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Outside the K3iii, the revised Theta, and these three Limiteds, I wonder if there is anything else being released on the 28th of April...

-Eric
FY2020 consolidated financial figures?