Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2021, 06:55 AM   #466
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
the DA35/2.8 macro is now part of my kit next to the FA31/1.8. I consider these very different lenses.
Interesting. Both on APS-C ? I guess that's true for the K 2/28mm Hollywood and the 1.8/31mm as well, two different signatures.

04-20-2021, 08:43 AM   #467
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ishpuini Quote
Perhaps the best way to find out the difference is to do exactly that, and go some time with the sticky tape at 31mm and then some at 35mm?
I meant a comparison of the images they produce not primarily the focal length. Someone who knows the lenses well might be able to find situations that show of their character. Bokeh, colours, aberrations, sharpness behaviour.
04-20-2021, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #468
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I meant a comparison of the images they produce not primarily the focal length. Someone who knows the lenses well might be able to find situations that show of their character. Bokeh, colours, aberrations, sharpness behaviour.
I understand, just wanted to offer an alternative point of view. I could look into my archive for some images that could compare both, but I didn't do a head to head. I think I sold the FA35 to finance getting the FA31 from a DPR forum friend moving to Olympus. And besides, my shots with the FA35 will all be 6MP only, so probably not representative for use on modern gear.

If you are not so FoV sensitive as I am, one point in favour of the FA35, regardless optical characteristics, is its ease to mount filters compared to the relatively unpractical FA31 with its fixed hood. Just in case you hadn't considered this...

Wim

04-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #469
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Someone really needs to do a proper FA 31 vs FA 35 shootout. Perhaps its already done. Would be great if done by someone who knows the lenses well.
I have an FA 35/2 and I pre-ordered an HD FA 31. Maybe I'll do it once I get the new lens.

04-21-2021, 03:19 AM   #470
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Someone really needs to do a proper FA 31 vs FA 35 shootout. Perhaps its already done. Would be great if done by someone who knows the lenses well.
I don't think there is much difference except with things like out of focus rendering and in focus to out of focus transitions. Not the sort of thing that would bop you over the head.

The FA 35 is sharp enough, obviously a little longer, but doesn't have quite as smooth rendering as the FA 31. But it isn't a huge difference and many people are pretty satisfied with the FA 35.
04-21-2021, 06:41 AM   #471
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think there is much difference except with things like out of focus rendering and in focus to out of focus transitions. Not the sort of thing that would bop you over the head.

The FA 35 is sharp enough, obviously a little longer, but doesn't have quite as smooth rendering as the FA 31. But it isn't a huge difference and many people are pretty satisfied with the FA 35.
From the photos I've seen that's what I thought as well... the FA 35 seems like a very competent lens, it just has a touch less of the Limited je ne sais quoi (which is mostly about the out of focus transition, I guess).
04-21-2021, 06:56 AM - 1 Like   #472
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote

I have the HDFA35 and I quite like it. Backgrounds can get busy though in certain circumstances. The FA31 has a much more complex optical formula so it's interesting to tease out where the special glass etc makes a difference. The fov muddies the waters of course but still interesting.

This page Test: Sex fasta fullformatsobjektiv för Pentax K-1 did some reviews and mtf tests at wide open and f8

FA31

FA35

The above doesn't say that much so I'm just curious about the differences. I'm not looking to get the FA31 altough the fov is probably better for me I liked the DA21. I'm just curious.

04-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #473
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting test site with good reviews - thanks for posting
04-21-2021, 09:53 AM   #474
Pentaxian

Does the new HD31 also now have rounded aperture blades? The HDFA35 can show some hexagonal bokeh. I don't mind but I guess it may contribute to the busyness.
04-21-2021, 11:53 AM   #475
Pentaxian

There are a bunch of new "Evidence" articles at pentax jp. Takumichi Seo seems to say that the HD and SMC FA31's are very different. Crystal vs Agate. My reading between the lines is that he prefers the smc.
Takumichi Seo HD PENTAX-FA 31mmF1.8 Limited Impression | PENTAX Limited Lens Special Site | RICOH IMAGING

Another comment this time by Takashi Shikano
"Like the smc version, the new lens produces gentle, subdued images at the open aperture of F1.8, while delivering sharper expressions at closed-down apertures. However, I noticed one definite difference: the new HD version produced images that were clearer and sharper than those produced by the old smc version. "
http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/limited_lens/evidence/shikano/hd-fa-31.html

Last edited by house; 04-21-2021 at 12:00 PM.
04-21-2021, 12:32 PM   #476
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for these two links! It remains rather vague, apart from sharpness, what the difference is between the two versions. I guess we'll soon find out though in user reports.
04-21-2021, 12:56 PM - 1 Like   #477
Pentaxian

I suspect any difference is quite subtle. Or at least only visible in edge cases. Despite being quite candid this is Ricoh marketing. The da limited smc to hd switch is probably equivalent and people harldly notice except for star bursts.
04-21-2021, 01:12 PM   #478
Pentaxian

I suspect any difference is quite subtle. Or at least only visible in edge cases. Despite being quite candid this is Ricoh marketing. The da limited smc to hd switch is probably equivalent and people harldly notice except for star bursts.
Flare resistance and subtle colour variation is what I'd expect.
04-21-2021, 01:40 PM   #479

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
I agree with the expectation that we will ~see results very similar to the comparison made here at the forums between the SMC and HD variants of the DA Limiteds that were previously updated.
04-24-2021, 06:32 AM   #480
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote

To retain my sanity... I will now switch my lens lust dreams to play in my head as monochrome... !