Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 384 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #496
Veteran Member

I wonder how much this is going to tank the used prices of the existing lenses? Considering you can get a used 77 or 31 for more than the new ones are listed for now.

04-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #497
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Maybe not too much impact on used prices unless side by side testing shows the same level of Pixie Dust and no negative image differences in the HD versions. Just like with the DA limiteds, there will probably be users that prefer the SMC versions
04-27-2021, 11:01 AM   #498
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by taktoon Quote
Do we know when those lenses will be on shelves?
Amazon website says "released April 29th". Whether that means released to them or released to buyers is unclear. Soon though.
04-27-2021, 12:40 PM   #499

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Amazon website says "released April 29th". Whether that means released to them or released to buyers is unclear. Soon though.
It will be delivered to the recipient on 29th usually

04-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #500
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm interested to see how the new 31 and 77 compare to the originals.
05-01-2021, 09:30 AM - 8 Likes   #501
Pentaxian

Not many differences as far as i have tested the new 31 (silver) against the old MYJ (black)

1- Lens Pouch : actually the old "31 / 1:1.8" inscripted pouch might have already been replaced by the new one before the HD coating with Vietnam production :

2- Barrel's inscriptions : the "AL" is now lacking :

3- Lens-cap inscriptions have been enhanced :

4- New HD coatings (on both sides of the lens) are a bit more greenish than the SMC ones that have purple reflections :

5- The aperture blades have been slightly elongated and curved :

I am trying hard to detect any results rendering differences on the samples that i can shoot under today's all grey weather (with K-1), first comparisons don't show any difference :
- on bokeh
- on CAs

I will hopefully try "starblitz" shooting tomorrrow..
05-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #502
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
Not many differences as far as i have tested the new 31 (silver) against the old MYJ (black)

1- Lens Pouch : actually the old "31 / 1:1.8" inscripted pouch might have already been replaced by the new one before the HD coating with Vietnam production :

4- New HD coatings (on both sides of the lens) are a bit more greenish than the SMC ones that have purple reflections :

I am trying hard to detect any results rendering differences on the samples that i can shoot under today's all grey weather (with K-1), first comparisons don't show any difference :
- on bokeh
- on CAs

Thanks a lot. I'll keep an eye on your posts.

05-01-2021, 01:59 PM   #503
Pentaxian

- on bokeh
- on CAs

Very Interesting, thanks !
05-02-2021, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #504
Pentaxian

Well, i must admit i am not impressed by the new coatings properties.
Here are my findings after trying hard (pixel-peeping @100%) to express differences between the two lenses :
- No bokeh difference
- No chromatic aberrations differences
- No colour rendering differences
- No starblitz differences
- No flare differences
- Maybe a - very slight - advantage at full aperture's resolution (but probably within fabrication's tolerances)
05-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #505
mlt
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

With the new pricing, all looks positive. A big change would’ve been adding a focusing motor which was not in the cards unless they did a complete re-design.
05-02-2021, 12:22 PM - 1 Like   #506
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here are my findings after trying hard (pixel-peeping @100%) to express differences between the two lenses :
- No bokeh difference
- No flare differences
- Maybe a - very slight - advantage at full aperture's resolution (but probably within fabrication's tolerances)
So not worth upgrading, but good that we have a cheaper version now that is as good as it was.

Have you perhaps done the same testing with the 43? I would think that's the one that stands to gain more from the new coating...
05-02-2021, 12:41 PM   #507
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

- No bokeh difference
- No flare differences
The flare improvement is disappointing, though not to me a surprise. I'd concluded the flaring of the 31 was likely to be mostly down to the internal design. Still a nice lens, SMC or HD (I assume) ...
05-02-2021, 01:52 PM   #508
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
So not worth upgrading, but good that we have a cheaper version now that is as good as it was.
Exactly !
05-02-2021, 09:27 PM   #509
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd like to see an image of K1 II limited paired with HDA 31/1.8. It's tempting me sorely. Anyone has a link? Thanks.
05-03-2021, 01:18 AM   #510
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Indeed, and no need to upgrade my Made in Japan FA ltd's. The money is needed elsewhere...