Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 11:47 AM   #136
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Did you know when shooting far away, your depth of field is greater and precise focusing becomes less important?
That depends on focal length of the lens.
I most often use one point when using a long focal length and my subject has shallow DOF - getting focus exactly right is much less important when using focal length of 30-60mm and f-stop around f/5.6, and I may just use AF camera is already set for.

Last edited by reh321; 02-27-2021 at 11:54 AM.
02-27-2021, 11:54 AM - 3 Likes   #137
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think there are any "DSLR purists".
Oh! I think you are wrong about that one!
QuoteQuote:
On the other hand, there are "mirrorless purists" explaining us, over and over again, how a DSLR cannot possibly have any of these mirrorless wonder technologies like eye AF.
Yes, these new zealots are a pretty obnoxious bunch. But zealots always are. At some level they are all cut from the same cloth.
02-27-2021, 11:55 AM - 3 Likes   #138
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone attending the discussion between Mr. Tanaka and Mr. Wakashiro about the K-3 III?

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1365445941793226752

Oh, silly me... kwb said he plans to attend it. Anyway, I'll leave the post as a reminder to anyone else who might be interested.
Here you go.
Tanaka san - Wakashiro san online seminar about K-3 III (CP+ 2021) - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2021, 12:00 PM   #139
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Something similar with my K-1. They’v already stated that many of more advanced AF modes(I’ll count eye AF as one) need ‘green mode’ for AF. I’v played around with my K-1 now to see couple of things working already quite well if you let camera to do the work. You’ll need to practise thou. I think that back button AF will BM come in use as well as that joystick more and more. And there might be updates on that back screen use too(in LV atleast).

IMO eye AF must be great, but if camera will recognise the face(and eyes) and especially front part, not ears, because it focuses to the shoulder part or bigger form of the head where middle is just before the ears. This will solve most of the problems. Especially if one is not taking close portraits. When in portraits it is good to have eye.

About birds, they say nothing about bird eye AF. They say it does recognise the form of the bird. To me this is a big improvement. Then it is easy to get the head and the eye at there too. We will see.
IIRC the machine translation said it recognises "butterflies"

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 09:16 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Oh! I think you are wrong about that one!
Yes, these new zealots are a pretty obnoxious bunch. But zealots always are. At some level they are all cut from the same cloth.
But there is a difference. While the one say Ricoh is doomed if they don't change to mirrorless the others would not have a problem with another mirrorless on the market (even if from Ricoh) as long as they (also) keep producing DSLRs, that they prefer.

02-27-2021, 12:16 PM   #140
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Unless this camera has a special processor dedicated to AF, hopefully it gives some kind of control over AF - otherwise, just AF can really pull performance down.
Intuition doesn't work when performance is involved, you'd need actual measurements.
The K-3 III has a dual processor setup - but the other processor is the image accelerator unit (which also helps with the Live View AF I think). The main processor should be a multi-core something (likely ARM). No idea how many cores and the clock speed(s).
I would not assume it has a lower processing power than e.g. the D500.
02-27-2021, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #141
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
But there is a difference. While the one say Ricoh is doomed if they don't change to mirrorless the others would not have a problem with another mirrorless on the market (even if from Ricoh) as long as they (also) keep producing DSLRs, that they prefer.
The people rejecting the immediate need to throw away everything in order to follow the One True Path are seen as "zealots" by those following the One True Path.
IMHO we don't make any anti-mirrorless argument, except for: 1. not all cameras have to be mirrorless, and 2. Ricoh Imaging doesn't appear to have the resources for adding a mirrorless line. But those aren't actually anti-mirrorless, are they?
02-27-2021, 12:21 PM   #142
Pentaxian

Thank you very much, I'll start reading!

02-27-2021, 12:38 PM   #143
Pentaxian

Intuition doesn't work when performance is involved, you'd need actual measurements.
The K-3 III has a dual processor setup - but the other processor is the image accelerator unit (which also helps with the Live View AF I think).
You would need actual information about how it is organized.
I am a professional computer guy, so I do everything by information, not by instinct.
What I know is that focusing of my KP slows when I use more points to focus, and people who know say that the D500 has a processor devoted to focusing.
02-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #144
Pentaxian

You would need actual information about how it is organized.
I am a professional computer guy, so I do everything by information, not by instinct.
What I know is that focusing of my KP slows when I use more points to focus, and people who know say that the D500 has a processor devoted to focusing.
Actually you need to measure it
I'm a professional computer guy, too - software developer to be more precise. Thus, I naturally agree that we need information - but this means measurement.
In particular, knowing how the KP behaves is likely irrelevant here, as the K-3 III is a completely redesigned camera.
02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #145
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would seriously like to see a tracking demo. I'm starting to wonder if I should sell my K-1 and K-3 and go for this. Then I remember "no tilting back screen."

The need to know information being "how fast does the buffer clear? . Some camera can shoot practically continuously in that their buffer clears faster than it can accumulate images. Burst shooting is limited if there's a 2 second burst, then you wait 30 seconds for the buffer to clear.
If you are planning to continue using your K-3 then this wouldn't be a step back from that, even if it doesn't have a tilting screen...
02-27-2021, 02:20 PM   #146
Pentaxian

The K-3 III has a dual processor setup - but the other processor is the image accelerator unit (which also helps with the Live View AF I think). The main processor should be a multi-core something (likely ARM). No idea how many cores and the clock speed(s).
I would not assume it has a lower processing power than e.g. the D500.
I was curious about the CPUs used in DSLR cameras and did a short research:

The 2016 Fujitsu Milbeaut ImageProcessor MB86S22A used as base in DSLRs from Nikon and Pentax consists of an 2009 ARM Cortex-A5 Dualcore Processor which can have 500 MHz.
DMIP CPU performance is in the range of an Intel Pentium II/III with 450 MHz clock speed.

Sources states that the 2004 Canon EOS 1D Mark II image processing CPU has a clock speed of 32 MHz and the AF CPU 33 MHz.
Clock speed? of canon DSLR's -- Canon EOS Digital Cameras in photography-on-the.net forums
Canon 1D Mark II - AF Point Activation Area | Photo.net Photography Forums

About the 2007 EOS 1D Mark III and 2005 EOS 1D Mark II N, Canon states in the official whitepaper a 40MHz 32-bit RISC main CPU and 48MHz 32-bit RISC AF CPU.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/E1DMK3/EOS-1DMKIIIwp.pdf#page=20
5D MkII AF does NOT use Digic IV!: Canon EOS-1D / 5D / 6D Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
02-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #147
Pentaxian

Actually you need to measure it
I'm a professional computer guy, too - software developer to be more precise. Thus, I naturally agree that we need information - but this means measurement.
In particular, knowing how the KP behaves is likely irrelevant here, as the K-3 III is a completely redesigned camera.
I merely asked if the K-3iii had an added processor to perform focusing.
That should be a simple answer.

Another simple answer would be that the K-3iii has a better processor.
I believe that the KP processor is not up to the task of performing the focusing described.
I never expected a long lecture on Computer Science to result from my simple question.
I will drop this line of discussion, because nobody seems to know the simple answer.
02-27-2021, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #148
Pentaxian

I would seriously like to see a tracking demo. I'm starting to wonder if I should sell my K-1 and K-3 and go for this. Then I remember "no tilting back screen."
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
If you are planning to continue using your K-3 then this wouldn't be a step back from that, even if it doesn't have a tilting screen...
normhead was talking in terms of sellling both his K-1 and his K-3. His K-1 does have a tilting screen, so he realized that he would no longer have any tilting screen available.
The camera will give him the sort of view his K-1 gives, but apparently will provide fewer pixels.
Personally. I would purchase the K-3iii only as a K-3 replacement - assuming I had the funding to do that. I do not view it as a K-1 replacement[
02-27-2021, 02:43 PM   #149
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
IIRC the machine translation said it recognises "butterflies"

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 09:16 PM ----------

When it comes to butterflys, it is better than insect eye focus IMO.

when it comes to choose DSLR, doomed it is and we would not have anything less.Jokes a side, Seems and it is obvious that there is pressure for MILC even from inside the company. I think that they will find unique way, which brings us back to butterflys.
02-27-2021, 02:50 PM   #150
Pentaxian

I merely asked if the K-3iii had an added processor to perform focusing.
That should be a simple answer.

Another simple answer would be that the K-3iii has a better processor.
I believe that the KP processor is not up to the task of performing the focusing described.
I never expected a long lecture on Computer Science to result from my simple question.
I will drop this line of discussion, because nobody seems to know the simple answer.
For the benefit of others who are reading this - there is no simple answer.

Yes, the K-3 III does not have a dedicated AF processor (as far as we know; but that would be a 3 processor architecture - highly unlikely).
Yes, the K-3 III have a better processor - they call it PRIME V. And the improved Image Accelerator Unit, which takes over from the main processor's tasks.
But we cannot say if the K-3 III's better processor + IAU can offset a dedicated AF processor.