Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 02:02 AM   #31
Forum Member

Watched the video, one thing suspicious to me is the 5.5 stop SR. In the past, Pentax aps-c cameras use 135mm to rate their SR, but K3 iii used 85mm (see video 16m27s). Shorter focal length tend to give better SR rating, so maybe the SR system does not have as big improvement as someone (like me) might have imagined.

02-25-2021, 02:20 AM   #32
Forum Member

Anyone can explain the difference between the optics near the pentaprism of the K3II and the K3III. There is an additional prism on the K3II mounted to the main prism that refract a potion of light to the front....itīs not in the K3III anymore...

Last edited by licht96; 02-25-2021 at 02:53 AM.
02-25-2021, 03:05 AM - 3 Likes   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"If you are a maniac, you can change it automatically. just by changing the 8 city modes..."

That's another thing I've been hoping for for so long

(8.00)
02-25-2021, 03:07 AM - 1 Like   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
"If you are a maniac, you can change it automatically. just by changing the 8 city modes..."

That's another thing I've been hoping for for so long

(8.00)
Auto subtitles with auto translation is such a source of wisdom! This time more than ever. Sooo many pearls of wisdom.

02-25-2021, 03:08 AM - 2 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
A detail Pentax should steal from Fuji is the top lcd that shows current settings even when the camera is off. That should have been a Pentax innovations. Simple but super useful.
Cool innovation. But not so cool when you find the battery depleted in the morning before using the camera.

I think Fuji could copy another innovation from Pentax. On my Pentax K-1 , when I rotate the camera the rear displaying also rotates. On the Fuji, it is fixed, so user turns head , even upside down.
The other thing Fuji could copy on Pentax is about lens AF. On the Fuji, if the lens is not horizontal, on a long exposure, the lens focus by wire may slowly drift during the exposure because AF position isn't actively maintained after focus has been achieved... most Fuji users are unaware of this, when they see their longs exposure pictures are slightly soft, they just think they may have touched the camera during the long exposure. I've never seen such thing happening with Pentax, so perhaps Fuji could learn. It's not all sunshine & rainbows.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-25-2021 at 04:21 AM.
02-25-2021, 03:22 AM - 1 Like   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
ool innovation. But not so cool when you find the battery depleted in the morning before using the camera.
I assumed it was one of these e-ink type displays that maintain the image when completely powered off and battery pulled out.
02-25-2021, 03:33 AM   #37
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
Anyone can explain the difference between the optics near the pentaprism of the K3II and the K3III. There is an additional prism on the K3II mounted to the main prism that refract a potion of light to the front....itīs not in the K3III anymore...
It ‘a function has been changed to other place so no need for that extra bit anymore. It was not very good either. New system is better and more efficient.

02-25-2021, 03:38 AM   #38
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
The K-3iii even goes up to 12 (fps)!
Yeah, but that ruins the reference of the amp going up to 11.

QuoteQuote:
Is that 9 f/2.8 flux AF points like the center point on the K-1? Because that would mean a LOT for me...
I might have to start saving for the inevitable K-1iii.
Is that like a flux capacitor?

The sensors marked in dark blue are f2.8 comparison sensors. I'm not sure what the correct translation is but the first kanji means comparison or agreement and the second means OK. So it sounds like opposing pairs of sensors are compared?

---------- Post added 25-02-21 at 09:40 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by licht96 Quote
I assume it's to do with overlays like the AF indicators and the function displays at the bottom. I'm not sure which element is which though.
02-25-2021, 03:41 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Yeah, but that ruins the reference of the amp going up to 11.

Is that like a flux capacitor?

The sensors marked in dark blue are f2.8 comparison sensors. I'm not sure what the correct translation is but the first kanji means comparison or agreement and the second means OK. So it sounds like opposing pairs of sensors are compared?
Ricoh calls them "f/2.8 luminance flux sensors" http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/feature/02.html:
QuoteOriginally posted by Ricoh Imaging:
The center sensor and two sensors just above and below it are designed to detect the luminance flux of an F2.8 lens for high-precision autofocusing
But yeah, if it's a flux capacitor AF it might mean that it truly predicts the movement of the subject, by going back to the future and then telling the camera how it's supposed to track .
Pentax truly innovates.
02-25-2021, 03:44 AM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Ricoh calls them "f/2.8 luminance flux sensors" http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/products/k-3/feature/02.html:

But yeah, if it's a flux capacitor AF it might mean that it truly predicts the movement of the subject, by going back to the future and then telling the camera how it's supposed to track .
Pentax truly innovates.
Isn’t this what they also promised..? It will predict movement towards the camera. This time perhaps bicycles will not be problem. (I’m sure they won’t
02-25-2021, 03:48 AM - 8 Likes   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Translation humour apart, it's clear from watching the video that the camera was created to pursue a vision not thrown together on a 'because we can' basis or to hit a price point - and this has been a hallmark of Pentax - increasingly under Ricoh, I might add.
02-25-2021, 03:53 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Translation humour apart, it's clear from watching the video that the camera was created to pursue a vision not thrown together on a 'because we can' basis or to hit a price point - and this has been a hallmark of Pentax - increasingly under Ricoh, I might add.
I'd say that the tech is a "this is what we can do*", while the wrapping is very, very Pentax. The product itself is razor-edge-sharp and really aiming to give photographers an excellent tool. I *still* don't agree with the lack of flippy screen but the camera's every other aspect is top notch.

The attention to detail in so many ways is nothing short of fantastic. It truly is a turbocharged Pentax.

*And boy, they can... if the camera's AF tracking is as good as it sounds this thing will be punching well above its price class. IQ is amazing, ergos look amazing, best OVF in an APS-C camera, etc.
02-25-2021, 04:04 AM - 2 Likes   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RC-Lights Quote
interessting video !

But when i have a deeper look on the section view at min: 3:50, it looks like the camera really has no internal GPS Modul. There was the hope, that they just forget it in the specs, but when i look at that huge pentaprism, it looks like there is not enough space for some other components like gps. lets hope, that it is possible to do some astro tracing and geo-tagging with the smartphone gps location.

best regards,
Michael
I think if these things are important to you, you would need to get a free standing astro tracer module. I imagine you could also use it with your phone from a GPS standpoint to tag your photos. I think with the other improvements in this camera they just didn't have space to put that in (or they thought it would increase cost too much).

The overall camera looks amazing to me regardless of quibbles like lack of flippy screen and lack of GPS.
02-25-2021, 04:15 AM - 1 Like   #44

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I think if these things are important to you, you would need to get a free standing astro tracer module. I imagine you could also use it with your phone from a GPS standpoint to tag your photos. I think with the other improvements in this camera they just didn't have space to put that in (or they thought it would increase cost too much).

The overall camera looks amazing to me regardless of quibbles like lack of flippy screen and lack of GPS.
please do not understand me wrong. iīm very excited about the camera and i will buy one as soon it is available. but Pentax flagships are known for the integrated GPS and i hope it is integrated as well in the K3iii. Its not really important for me, that is the reason, why it would be a nice to have for me. there is no need for me to have the external GPS tool, but i would be happy to do sometimes an astro picture with internal gps, if i want.

but nevertheless, the camera is very promising and i canīt wait to have it in my hands. it will be a big jump from Pentax K5ii.
02-25-2021, 04:22 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
I assumed it was one of these e-ink type displays that maintain the image when completely powered off and battery pulled out.
LCD. Batteries get drained if not completely powered-off. I'm not seeing this in Pentax DSLR, I can leave it for two weeks in standby/sleep mode and battery is still charged.