Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 04:31 AM - 11 Likes   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Cool innovation. But not so cool when you find the battery depleted in the morning before using the camera.

I think Fuji could copy another innovation from Pentax. On my Pentax K-1 , when I rotate the camera the rear displaying also rotates. On the Fuji, it is fixed, so user turns head , even upside down.
The other thing Fuji could copy on Pentax is about lens AF. On the Fuji, if the lens is not horizontal, on a long exposure, the lens focus by wire may slowly drift during the exposure because AF position isn't actively maintained after focus has been achieved... most Fuji users are unaware of this, when they see their longs exposure pictures are slightly soft, they just think they may have touched the camera during the long exposure. I've never seen such thing happening with Pentax, so perhaps Fuji could learn. Thank you! I'm a bit tired of what's being said online about the other brand is so cool, especially when you buy the camera and realized it's not as cool as it sounded in social media.

Having gone against the grain and moved from Fuji to Pentax I'm starting to get really excited. My first "proper camera" was an X-T1 which I loved and took some fabulous photos. I then was an early adopter of the X-H1 which for me was a disaster as every time I picked it up or brought it up to my eye my thumb pressed the Q button which some idiot designer had decided that the end of the thumb grip was the perfect place for a fn button, I got rid pretty quick and was an early adopter of the X-T3 which I was never happy with, they made it larger and heavier to enable the heat from taking video to be dispersed and I felt it photos lack the purity of those from the X-T1 - we parted company plus all of the red dot top range lenses! I then re-bought a secondhand X-T1 and on the spur of the moment a guaranteed KP with 3000 actuations from a well know UK dealer for £450. I have not looked back. I now have a collection of modern Pentax lenses and a huge collection from the legacy back catalogue.
My Fuji inventory is gradually been reduced and I will end up with the X-T1 plus some smaller lighter lenses as a compact system. The future hopefully PENTAX!

02-25-2021, 04:52 AM - 2 Likes   #47
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
I don't currently go over ISO 1600 on my K3, but 3200 or 6400 would be nice to have. If they were usable, I'd be able to set say f8 as the default aperture with the DFA 150-450 and still get a bearable shutter speed.

---------- Post added 25-02-21 at 04:05 PM ----------

3200 is pretty clean and very useable even on the K-70. I have my K-70's auto-ISO set to 100-6400, where the noise is still very manageable. FWIW I've set it higher on occasion and just dealt with noise reduction later. When I had the KP it was set to 100-12800 where noise was still very manageable (A lot of concert/band/backstage existing light).

Since my K1 performed nearly as well as my KP in low light it seems extremely likely the K3III will well-exceed the low-light capabilities of the KP and of course your K3. IMHO it may well be the end all in an APS-C regarding ultimate image quality, and in particular ISO performance.

It should be a great concert camera Low-light, burst speeds, AF, decent video performance when needed.... Got it all from what I'm seeing.
02-25-2021, 06:53 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
3200 is pretty clean and very useable even on the K-70. I have my K-70's auto-ISO set to 100-6400, where the noise is still very manageable. FWIW I've set it higher on occasion and just dealt with noise reduction later. When I had the KP it was set to 100-12800 where noise was still very manageable (A lot of concert/band/backstage existing light).
I handle the auto ISO on my K-70 the same way. I’ve got an image of a lion I shot in South Africa at ISO6400 that has won awards, and no one wants to believe it’s an ISO6400 shot from an entry-level DSLR. (No NR done beyond what LrC will do.) It’s looking like the K-3 iii should be such that auto ISO up to 25,600 would not make me bat an eye. If the new AF is really good, this camera seems like it will have lots of great potential for wildlife, sports, events, etc.

Come on, supply chain! I have money I want to give Ricoh!
02-25-2021, 07:09 AM - 3 Likes   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote

Since my K1 performed nearly as well as my KP in low light it seems extremely likely the K3III will well-exceed the low-light capabilities of the KP and of course your K3. IMHO it may well be the end all in an APS-C regarding ultimate image quality, and in particular ISO performance.

It should be a great concert camera Low-light, burst speeds, AF, decent video performance when needed.... Got it all from what I'm seeing.
I set the K-1 to go up to 12.8k but since in most circumstances I have to underexpose around 1 EV or so (to do pseudo-highlight-weighed metering) the actual ISO can go up to 25K. And it's still giving very serviceable images up to A4 size. The K-3iii looks astounding. If they manage to get this quality from an APS-C chip, I already see the K-1iii with a... 42? 45 MP? FF sensor strutting all over the competition.

02-25-2021, 07:42 AM   #50
Pentaxian

This is getting more exciting!
02-25-2021, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
I set the K-1 to go up to 12.8k but since in most circumstances I have to underexpose around 1 EV or so (to do pseudo-highlight-weighed metering) the actual ISO can go up to 25K. And it's still giving very serviceable images up to A4 size. The K-3iii looks astounding. If they manage to get this quality from an APS-C chip, I already see the K-1iii with a... 42? 45 MP? FF sensor strutting all over the competition.
Those first photos in the original post make it look like ISO 102400 on the K-3iii are at least as good as 12800 on the K-3ii. Maybe better. That almost seems to good to be true.

But let's say it is... that's three stops better performance. That's like swapping out a 55-300 PLM for a 70-200 f/2.8, if not more. I shoot soccer in poor lighting and I'm often pushing shutter to 1/400th (optimal would be more like 1/1250), ISO to 12800, aperture as wide as it'll go for the focal length, and with a K-3ii the results are barely acceptable at small sizes. With a K-3iii it looks like I should be able to get similar results with 1/1000th or faster shutter in the same conditions. Or use 1/600th or 1/800th and the equivalent of ISO 3200 or 1600 on the older camera.

I'm very interested in seeing more real life results, because I'm struggling to believe 100k ISO is usable. That would be wonderful, just a massive improvement. Two stops would be fantastic.
02-25-2021, 10:15 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Thanks both for the video and the instruction how to find the auto-translator
I'd been in two minds about considering a new body … starting to decide
Pending release of the full specification I can see my KP being offered up for trade-in very soon!

02-25-2021, 11:08 AM   #53

Even that video has a mistake... K3 mark 1 on the left, not K3II. The folded flash is perfectly visible so is the shape... ah geez, Ricoh!

02-25-2021, 11:18 AM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by xmeda Quote
Even that video has a mistake... K3 mark 1 on the left, not K3II. The folded flash is perfectly visible so is the shape... ah geez, Ricoh!

It might not be a flash unit
02-25-2021, 11:23 AM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by syyrmb Quote
Hope K3 iii's video has good high ISO performance as well.
This is my great hope!
02-25-2021, 11:25 AM   #56
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I'm very interested in seeing more real life results, because I'm struggling to believe 100k ISO is usable. That would be wonderful, just a massive improvement. Two stops would be fantastic.
Even at ISO 800K on my KP, I consider this - taken in our backyard by the light provided by a 60W bulb - to be usable, but that depends on your standards.
02-25-2021, 11:26 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 III more and more looks like an instant classic to me. This is TIPA award-winning stuff (as if that mattered). The kind of camera that can make you fall in love with photography again, the guilty pleasure of the hybrid shooter whose bread-winning camera is an uber-MP-Mach 3-tracking Sony mirrorless.
02-25-2021, 12:58 PM - 2 Likes   #58
Pentaxian

What I don't understand is how this thread is not 10+ pages long already, while it was started 18 hours ago already
I'm looking forward to see the first tests of that new AF-C!
02-25-2021, 01:11 PM   #59
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Even at ISO 800K on my KP, I consider this - taken in our backyard by the light provided by a 60W bulb - to be usable, but that depends on your standards.
My standards are if I can get a compelling photo that I can use to fill my 32" 4K display. On the K-3ii that is a challenge at anything over ISO 3200 or maybe 6400. Your ISO 800k shot is fine in a security camera kind of way, if you're interested in what that noise was in the back yard, but I don't think you'd frame that for your friends.

ISO 100k shots at the start of this thread look more like 6400 on a K-3ii, like something you could actually view at 4000 pixels on the long side and not wince. That would be pretty impressive.
02-25-2021, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Forum Member

Well, I guess I’m getting one as soon as they are released! This is going to be awesome for birding as long as it is well implemented. I don’t struggle too badly now for perched birds, but this will move tracking BIF to something closer to D500/A9 territory which makes it a potentially legendary camera.