Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2021, 01:22 PM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
My standards are if I can get a compelling photo that I can use to fill my 32" 4K display. On the K-3ii that is a challenge at anything over ISO 3200 or maybe 6400. Your ISO 800k shot is fine in a security camera kind of way, if you're interested in what that noise was in the back yard, but I don't think you'd frame that for your friends.
The only shots I have ever framed are for my Mother - mostly when she could not go out any more and see what I could see - before she died three years ago.
I have never framed shots for my friends - or for myself.

I have always used my camera to record events - to preserve what I see - not to produce "art".

Last edited by reh321; 02-25-2021 at 01:44 PM.
02-25-2021, 01:33 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

I finally saw the whole video & I'm ecstatic! It seems like Ricoh has finally taken a massive leap in many respects, particularly with the AF performance. It definitely sounds like AF performance will be far more advanced than what the Nikon D7200, D7500, & the Canon 90D can do. I don't think the AF will be at the D500 level, but it'll probably be close enough, which is good enough for me. Not to mention that the K-3III has IBIS & other features that those other cameras don't have. The IQ looks like it will be amazing. I can only imagine what they'll do with the K-1III. It looks like I'll more than likely be staying in the Pentax fold. Looking forward to more updates!
02-25-2021, 02:23 PM   #63
Pentaxian

If AF and high ISO can live up to the expectations it must draw all attention from (former) Olympus users. If m4/3 was used for speed and reach one can replace it perfectly with this camera. Unless one insists on having a mirrorless camera. However, if the Oly top models have been used size can't be a reason.
Compare camera dimensions side by side
02-25-2021, 02:58 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've said it once, but I'll say it again... Ricoh/Pentax knows this camera absolutely has to deliver. And so far, it seems they're pulling out all stops. FINALLY.

Last edited by Kobie; 02-25-2021 at 03:06 PM.
02-25-2021, 03:05 PM   #65
Pentaxian

This seems to be the new era for Pentax. I’m also getting really excited about it, so far everything looks to be as they’v said it will be. So much looking forward of first proper hands on video with good pictures. And something which will tell me what that video will exactly do in this camera.

So good to see more of these things already!

---------- Post added 02-26-21 at 00:05 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I finally saw the whole video & I'm ecstatic! It seems like Ricoh has finally taken a massive leap in many respects, particularly with the AF performance. It definitely sounds like AF performance will be far more advanced than what the Nikon D7200, D7500, & the Canon 90D can do. I don't think the AF will be at the D500 level, but it'll probably be close enough, which is good enough for me. Not to mention that the K-3III has IBIS & other features that those other cameras don't have. The IQ looks like it will be amazing. I can only imagine what they'll do with the K-1III. It looks like I'll more than likely be staying in the Pentax fold. Looking forward to more updates!
Me too! Very nice so far!
02-25-2021, 03:27 PM - 1 Like   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
I've said it once, but I'll say it again... Ricoh/Pentax knows this camera absolutely has to deliver. And so far, it seems they're pulling out all stops. FINALLY.
Indeed!

I have a feeling that this will probably attract a few consumers from other brands as well, particularly those that are not interested in mirrorless bodies. FEW is the keyword here. Hahaha! I've already seen a few comments on some Nikon & Canon message boards about this camera.
02-25-2021, 03:50 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Ricoh calls them "f/2.8 luminance flux sensors"
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I don't understand what it means to detect the luminance flux variation of a lens and how that affects AF other than that they refer to lenses with shallow DOF. The text in Japanese which I translated suggests that the sensors are detecting variations in pairs.

QuoteQuote:
But yeah, if it's a flux capacitor AF it might mean that it truly predicts the movement of the subject, by going back to the future and then telling the camera how it's supposed to track .
Pentax truly innovates.
Can I send my camera back to 1984 and take those photos I wish I took back then?

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 09:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It should be a great concert camera Low-light, burst speeds, AF, decent video performance when needed.... Got it all from what I'm seeing.
Thanks, sounds good!

02-25-2021, 04:14 PM - 3 Likes   #68
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
FEW is the keyword here
We'll see, they may have a nice card to play here. ML has great advantages but big drawbacks as well. After using an Olympus ML a colleague wants to go back to an optical VF. Pentax now seems to be the go-to choice. He came at me asking about the KP. I lent him my K3 & K5 with some lenses, he's now on the watch for a KP. Despite my warnings about the fact that (while making money) Pentax is now a very small company, in a very small market.

Pentax has now addressed 2 major complains one could make: lack of a modern wide angle lens and lack of human/bird/eye tracking AF-C. That leaves a rectilinear FF UWA (~11-12 mm) and long lenses to cover nearly everyone needs . Pretty impressive for such a small team. If I was a troll I'd say that it's nearly embarrassing for the big guys. But I'm not a troll. I didn't say anything.
02-25-2021, 08:36 PM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RC-Lights Quote
But when i have a deeper look on the section view at min: 3:50, it looks like the camera really has no internal GPS Modul. There was the hope, that they just forget it in the specs, but when i look at that huge pentaprism, it looks like there is not enough space for some other components like gps. lets hope, that it is possible to do some astro tracing and geo-tagging with the smartphone gps location.
Unfortunately a phone won't give the sort of information the astrotracer needs. You'd need the O-GPS1, unfortunately. I was hoping to dispense with mine, but it looks like I won't be able to.

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 02:38 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Come on, supply chain! I have money I want to give Ricoh!
Me too! Ricoh/CRK - I'll place a pre-order! Pretty please?

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
I'm looking forward to see the first tests of that new AF-C!
Me too! Well, the AF in general, not just AFC.

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 02:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 11GTCS Quote
Well, I guess I’m getting one as soon as they are released! This is going to be awesome for birding as long as it is well implemented. I don’t struggle too badly now for perched birds, but this will move tracking BIF to something closer to D500/A9 territory which makes it a potentially legendary camera.
Tracking BIF would be wonderful (I hope it doesn't require live view). It looks like it will focus faster and produce higher quality images, especially at low light. I'm hoping that it really shows what the DFA 150-450 can do on the right camera.

---------- Post added 26-02-21 at 02:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timautin Quote
We'll see, they may have a nice card to play here. ML has great advantages but big drawbacks as well. After using an Olympus ML a colleague wants to go back to an optical VF.
I'll have to end up hiring a mirrorless to try out the viewfinder. I have a camcorder with a colour electronic viewfinder, and I find the low resolution frustrating. I'll buy the K3iii the instant I can click the "buy" button, but I'm still contemplating a mirrorless for video and secondary stills.
02-25-2021, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
New algorithm for prediction of moving object position means better tracking even if the velocity toward the camera changes irregularly.
Presumably intended to allow for the DPR meandering bicycle test?
02-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #71
Pentaxian

Camera still looks great. Now we also need lenses with fast AF. 16-50 is on the way, but fast AF typically pairs with tele glass, larger aperture tele glass. M3/4 offers such glass, Pentax is limited in this area.
02-25-2021, 11:51 PM - 2 Likes   #72
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Nice high iso performance!

A detail Pentax should steal from Fuji is the top lcd that shows current settings even when the camera is off. That should have been a Pentax innovations. Simple but super useful.
As far as I know a part of Nikon D810's top LCD is always on, cannot remember other makers. Anyway, it sounds like a useful feature with truly negligible impact on battery (see below).

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
LCD. Batteries get drained if not completely powered-off. I'm not seeing this in Pentax DSLR, I can leave it for two weeks in standby/sleep mode and battery is still charged.
Reflective LCD (the one which is readable even when there's no backlight) won't draw much current. Self-discharging of Li ion battery would be orders of magnitude worse.

Do you remember your digital wristwatch from yesteryear that would run on a teeny battery for years? Same deal here, though the technology improved. It's backlight that eats battery, not LCD.

For example, typical power consumption of this 2.7" 400x240 pixel RGB reflective LCD (each pixel comprises R, G and B dot) is 5 micro Watts when you just display a static pattern with backlight off. Of course it should depend on the pattern that's displayed, and in the worst case it's 105 micro Watts, but typically it's 5. And this display has many more LCD dots than Fuji's (this one has more pixels to start with, and this one is color, Fuji's is B/W).
https://www.j-display.com/product/pdf/Leaflet/3LL_2.7_rectagular_BL_LPM027M128C.pdf
https://www.j-display.com/product/pdf/Datasheet/3LPM027M128C_specification_ver02.pdf

Now, even D-LI109 battery for my KP, which some complain as too small, is rated 7.4V 1050mAh i.e. about 7.8Wh. If I can magically use all of that energy to drive that 400x240 dot RGB LCD, it will typically run for 7.8Wh/(5 micro W)=1560000 hours = 178 years. Even in the worst case, it's 74286 hours or 8.5 years. Of course I cannot achieve that in reality for many reasons, for example the battery will lose its charge on its own in less than 178 years.
02-26-2021, 12:00 AM   #73
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Camera still looks great. Now we also need lenses with fast AF. 16-50 is on the way, but fast AF typically pairs with tele glass, larger aperture tele glass. M3/4 offers such glass, Pentax is limited in this area.
Well. We will see what will come up in the future. Pentax/Ricoh has still plenty of work to be done with making more of fast focusing lenses for high quality ‘normal’ use. As there is already coming that 16-50 and propably 50-135. We don’t know what that rumoured 150-600 will be with it’s focusing groups. As well as we don’t know what other plans are there when all other updates already mentioned as well as that prosumer 70-300(probably with In lens SR and PLM) are done. Until then 150-450 will have to do.
02-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #74
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The 55-300mm PLM lenses focuses well despite its not having a "large aperture".
The whole system is what matters, and Pentax is working on that.
02-26-2021, 08:03 AM   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
We don’t know what that rumoured 150-600 will be with it’s focusing groups.
Sorry, what rumored 150-600? AFAIK there's no such rumor about Pentax.