Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 283 Likes Search this Thread
02-26-2021, 04:55 PM - 2 Likes   #91
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
  1. 11:46 AF points coverage
  2. 12:11 OVF Face, Eye and Bird detection is coming!
    Combination of the new 307 thousand dots RGVIr metering sensor data and PRIME V means that they can detect motion, color distribution and shape, and they use this for image recognition. Mr. Wakashiro specifically said "things like face, eye and bird".
    New algorithm for prediction of moving object position means better tracking even if the velocity toward the camera changes irregularly.
  3. 16:00 High ISO, better color rendition than K-1 II!
    Examples shown are at ISO 102400 and 204800 and it's not like you want to use that kind of ISO, but anyway, K-3 III is clearly better as far as color is concerned.
  1. AF Point Coverage
  2. OVF face, eye and bird detection
  3. High ISO, lower noise than K-1 II

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
1. At 2:38 it shows the significant improvements in the viewfinder display. There's a lot more information available at the bottom of the viewfinder.
2. At 3:52 it shows the complexity of the new pentaprism system. I hadn't noticed how complicated it was to add all the information displays etc.
3. At 6:28 it shows a top view of a camera. I think this is the K1 not the K3iii. The K3iii is shown at 6:42. I think he was introducing the function dial.
4. At 6:49 I notice that there's an indication marked "AF Hold" (sorry I can't type katakana on this keyboard). Presumably this lights when you get AF lock and hold the shutter release half way?
5. At 8:30 it shows that there's five user modes. This is great, because I would really like to have more than the three on the K3.
6. At 12:04 he shows the AF pattern (and there's mention of f2.8 and -4EV limits).
7. At 14:23 he shows the weather sealing.
8. At 15:18 he shows the image sensor which has 25.73 million (2573*10,000) pixels.
9. At 17:05 he talks about a new sharpness setting called "Fine Sharpness II" in relation to "Fine Sharpness" and "Extra Sharpness". (I'm translating the katakana)
  1. Optical Viewfinder LCD
  2. Pentaprism System
  3. Top View / new function dial
  4. AF Hold
  5. 5 User Modes
  6. AF Point Coverage
  7. Weather Sealing
  8. BSI Image Sensor
  9. New Sharpness Settings

Last edited by angerdan; 02-26-2021 at 05:05 PM.
02-26-2021, 05:01 PM   #92
Pentaxian

Anyone attending the discussion between Mr. Tanaka and Mr. Wakashiro about the K-3 III?

https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1365445941793226752

Oh, silly me... kwb said he plans to attend it. Anyway, I'll leave the post as a reminder to anyone else who might be interested.
02-26-2021, 05:09 PM   #93
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Anyone attending the discussion between Mr. Tanaka and Mr. Wakashiro about the K-3 III?
https://twitter.com/thisistanaka/status/1365445941793226752
You mean this YouTube stream?
CP+2021 ONLINE ?????????? - YouTube

Btw, here's the livechat:
https://www.youtube.com/live_chat?is_popout=1&v=VlDSb6qfH5A
02-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #94
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by phoebus Quote
If it follows precedence, it will. The metering array data is in the meta-data for the K-1 and I believe earlier models too. I've seen a post here that demonstrates a rough image from that data. It will only add roughly 1% to image file size..
Isn't the one in the K3-III a much larger array than the one in the K1?

I think the K3-III meter array is almost twice the resolution of my first digital camera some 25 years ago...

-Eric

Last edited by TwoUptons; 02-26-2021 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Looked up a Kodak DC20 resolution and did math
02-27-2021, 01:41 AM - 1 Like   #95
Pentaxian

roughly 640x480 resolution on the metering sensor.

The side question is which actual resolution the pattern recognition in mirrorless cameras use for their tracking. They definitely do not use full sensor readout, which is way too slow and cameras lack the processing power. There certainly is some massive pixel binning or similar going on before the information gets fed to the recognition algorithm.
I wouldnt be surprised if the used resolution is less than 1 Mpx.
02-27-2021, 02:58 AM   #96

Photos: Gallery
On Mirrorless, I would not assume that this is static. If it detects a face, zoom in to check for an eye appears logical.
02-27-2021, 03:39 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
New K-3 III video from Ricoh: OVF face, eye and bird detection is coming.
I hope we can disable eye AF in the K3III, as a DSLR purist rejecting mirrorless technologies

02-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #98
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I hope we can disable eye AF in the K3III, as a DSLR purist rejecting mirrorless technologies
A "purist" would more likely reject a digital camera altogether than reject a camera for having eye-focus capabilities. Or color filters. Or video. A stills camera having only an EVF, no OVF? Yeah, that might be an issue for some of us. It would be for me.
02-27-2021, 05:14 AM - 1 Like   #99
Pentaxian

There should still be af/MF switch. Toggle that when in panic.
02-27-2021, 05:20 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A stills camera having only an EVF, no OVF? Yeah, that might be an issue for some of us. It would be for me.
I was joking a bit. The ideal camera would have a high quality viewfinder (no headache or eye strain) and anything that helps the quality of photographs. Whether it's called EVF , OVF , whatever doesn't matter much to me.
What makes mirrorless cameras able to focus on eye , af points from corner to corner , comes at the cost of some unnatural / visual discomfort experienced through the EVF. The hybrid solution would provide the benefits without the drawbacks.
02-27-2021, 05:28 AM   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
A "purist" would more likely reject a digital camera altogether than reject a camera for having eye-focus capabilities. Or color filters. Or video. A stills camera having only an EVF, no OVF? Yeah, that might be an issue for some of us. It would be for me.
They would also reject any color film, since that's anyway a fake emulsion thingy :P
And B/W is a stretch because you can put color filters in front of the lens (the horror).

I jest, of course. Good OVF tracking? Hit me up with that anytime. Just make sure it's OVF.
02-27-2021, 05:32 AM   #102
Pentaxian

What makes mirrorless cameras able to focus on eye , af points from corner to corner , comes at the cost of some unnatural / visual discomfort experienced through the EVF. The hybrid solution would provide the benefits without the drawbacks.
What makes a MILC do anything is using the same sensor do everything.
DSLRs have two sensors working in parallel, and Pentax has upped the quality of the one.
If people are willing to pay for both, ......
02-27-2021, 05:35 AM   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
DSLRs have two sensors working in parallel, and Pentax has upped the quality of the one.If people are willing to pay for both, ......
I guess if Ricoh goes the hybrid route for Pentax cameras, it's going to cost them more (more hardware complexity, more components etc).
02-27-2021, 05:37 AM   #104
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
The side question is which actual resolution the pattern recognition in mirrorless cameras use for their tracking. I wouldnt be surprised if the used resolution is less than 1 Mpx.
The Canon EOS R5 has 1053 AF points. So how many pixels does one AF point have for measuring? If it would be for example 4 (square layout), then 4212 pixel (0.004 MP) resolution.

Since QPAF isn't used by Canon yet, it's just 2 or 1 pixel per AF point.
The Nikon D5 has 153 AF points and a 180,000 pixels RGB sensor. Could be 60,000 pixels (0.06 MP) with all color channels when using QPAF.
Canon's Quad Pixel AF patent - Maybe the sensor for upcoming EOS R1? - DIY Photography

Sony a7R III has 425 contrast AF points.
QuoteQuote:
The sensor on the EOS 5D Mark IV, for instance, is 6720 x 4480 pixels. At 80% coverage (5376 x 3584) more than 19 million pixels have DPAF.
By comparison, the Sony a7R iii sensor is 7952 x 5304 pixels and has 399 phase detection auto focus points.
Dual Pixel Autofocus: What is it and what cameras have it? - Improve Photography

I guess if Ricoh goes the hybrid route for Pentax cameras, it's going to cost them more (more hardware complexity, more components etc).
If the could make profit from licensing the patents to other companies, Ricoh would benefit.
02-27-2021, 05:42 AM - 1 Like   #105
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I was joking a bit. The ideal camera would have a high quality viewfinder (no headache or eye strain) and anything that helps the quality of photographs. Whether it's called EVF , OVF , whatever doesn't matter much to me.
I figured you were, but I do think odds are good that you will be able to choose your auto focus modes. This is good and bad, of course. The more options, the more chance someone has of totally screwing them up for their style of photography. I've read too many horror stories of moms who couldn't take photos of their kids with a D5 because of its terrible auto focus, as though it was the camera's fault.

I do like having more options and being able to have eye detect with an OVF is definitely something that many (read portrait photographers in particular) have been looking for that till now has mostly been the purvey of MILCs.