Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 283 Likes Search this Thread
02-27-2021, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #121
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I don't think there are any "DSLR purists".
On the other hand, there are "mirrorless purists" explaining us, over and over again, how a DSLR cannot possibly have any of these mirrorless wonder technologies like eye AF.
and there are those who explain over and over again how EVF hurts their eyes - how they must have OVF - whether call these people "DSLR purists" or not.

02-27-2021, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #122
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I hope we can disable eye AF in the K3III
You have to be able to disable it, like on all cameras. Simply because EyeAF by very definition is full area green mode AF scanning for eyes. You usually only can select its starting point or adjust later. In many cases you want the automatism turned off and target something with a fixed AF sensor.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
The Canon EOS R5 has 1053 AF points. So how many pixels does one AF point have for measuring? If it would be for example 4 (square layout), then 4212 pixel (0.004 MP) resolution.
I was talking about x/y-axis tracking like eyeAF. That is pure 2D pattern recognition and has nothing to do (in then end the algorithms combine the data obviously though) with z-axis depth calculations like what is done for AF and AF-prediction using AF sensors. You do not need any AF to locate where an eye is in the frame.

So the other cameras certainly do not use (at least not exclusively) only their AF sensor pixels for "tracking".
02-27-2021, 09:49 AM   #123
Pentaxian

I would seriously like to see a tracking demo. I'm starting to wonder if I should sell my K-1 and K-3 and go for this. Then I remember "no tilting back screen."

The need to know information being "how fast does the buffer clear? . Some camera can shoot practically continuously in that their buffer clears faster than it can accumulate images. Burst shooting is limited if there's a 2 second burst, then you wait 30 seconds for the buffer to clear.

Last edited by normhead; 02-27-2021 at 11:25 AM.
02-27-2021, 09:57 AM - 4 Likes   #124
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
and there are those who explain over and over again how EVF hurts their eyes - how they must have OVF - whether call these people "DSLR purists" or not.
I would not be so strict with people who like to tell something repeatedly...

02-27-2021, 10:23 AM   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I would seriously like to see a tracking demo. I'm starting to wonder if I should sell my K-1 and K-3 and go for this. Then I remember "no tilting back screen."

The need to know information being "how fast does the buffer clear? . Some camera can shoot practically continuously in that their buffer clears faster than it can accumulate images. Burst showing is limited if there's a 2 second burst, then wait for the buffer to clear.
It is getting more and more interesting I also am waiting for more actual details. Specs do look very nice already. I’m just a few more actual things a way from actual purchase decision. I’ll go for aps-c + FF setup my self.

So far this seems to be biggest step up from previous models. I’v tried to keep the screen in ‘fixed’ position when I’m shooting with K-1 and try to see how much and where I want it to move. Dunno. It is nice to have when you need it. When you absolutely need it. But it is not a dealbreaker for me. I would like to try a small phone holder to flash shoe and pair my iPhone just to see how would that feel. LV and new WiFi &BT seems pretty much advanced now too.

Edit: I don’t need flippy that much, but when I needed it there has been a problem that it is not flexible enough for me. And if I need it just a bit, it is better to actually kneel down a bit more..
02-27-2021, 10:40 AM - 2 Likes   #126
Pentaxian

That was uncalled for, and I'm not doing that (the over and over part). Nobody does.
Besides, if EVFs are uncomfortable to use for someone, that doesn't make him a "purist". Believe it or not, that is actually a very good reason to avoid EVFs.
02-27-2021, 10:49 AM - 2 Likes   #127
Pentaxian

That was uncalled for, and I'm not doing that (the over and over part). Nobody does.
Besides, if EVFs are uncomfortable to use for someone, that doesn't make him a "purist". Believe it or not, that is actually a very good reason to avoid EVFs.
I really do like how handy my iPhone is and other displays too. But even my phone does give my eyes some clitch and my eyes do feel tiered after a while. Dana happens with other displays. This is why I like OVF. But it is not the only reason. So if I can avoid screens I’ll do it. Just great to have that option and unlike some guys have ‘predicted’ OVF tech is not going to get old anytime soon

02-27-2021, 10:52 AM - 3 Likes   #128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From a personal standpoint, this is the most excited I've been about a new camera since I became a Pentax user in 2007. I've gone from "maybe I'll get a K-3 III in a couple of years" to "maybe 2021".
02-27-2021, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I really do like how handy my iPhone is and other displays too. But even my phone does give my eyes some clitch and my eyes do feel tiered after a while. Dana happens with other displays. This is why I like OVF. But it is not the only reason. So if I can avoid screens I’ll do it. Just great to have that option and unlike some guys have ‘predicted’ OVF tech is not going to get old anytime soon
One thing I do repeat over and over again is that it's good to have a choice.
And I also have a GR III. It does why my DSLRs can't - fits in a t-shirt pocket.
02-27-2021, 11:20 AM   #130
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
on subjects that are far away, without the ability to zoom in through the ovf and make sure it's focusing... automatically or not... on a tiny little bird eye, doesn't seem like an advantage... you're just getting as close as you can, same as manual.

on subjects that are close, where the focus conformation box is the same as/smaller than the eye, it will be pretty awesome. even better if you can assign eye/af to a button on the camera body so you can switch from center point af to eye-tracking without moving the camera from your eye.
02-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #131
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
From a personal standpoint, this is the most excited I've been about a new camera since I became a Pentax user in 2007. I've gone from "maybe I'll get a K-3 III in a couple of years" to "maybe 2021".
I’v been buying K-3 and K-1 as preorder. Just because it was possible for me back then. I was very thrilled about K-1 vs K-3 and many things did improve. Like OVF got bigger. AF was slightly better. I was excited back then. But these things coming up now, even if I’m a bit causious since my Pentax has been what it is, but nw it really seems to be a real update this time. Most of things I’v just lived with and learned to get by seems to be answered now. And if this goes well, this can be updated quite well. So yes. I’m more excited too than before.

---------- Post added 02-27-21 at 20:26 ----------

One thing I do repeat over and over again is that it's good to have a choice.
And I also have a GR III. It does why my DSLRs can't - fits in a t-shirt pocket.
This is true. Also even if I’d be having to choose EVF it would not be the end of the world. I’d get used to it I believe. But now I don’t have to.
02-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #132
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
You have to be able to disable it, like on all cameras. Simply because EyeAF by very definition is full area green mode AF scanning for eyes. You usually only can select its starting point or adjust later. In many cases you want the automatism turned off and target something with a fixed AF sensor.

I was talking about x/y-axis tracking like eyeAF. That is pure 2D pattern recognition and has nothing to do (in then end the algorithms combine the data obviously though) with z-axis depth calculations like what is done for AF and AF-prediction using AF sensors. You do not need any AF to locate where an eye is in the frame.

So the other cameras certainly do not use (at least not exclusively) only their AF sensor pixels for "tracking".
My KP allows me to use 25, 9, or just 1 point for AF.

Unless this camera has a special processor dedicated to AF, hopefully it gives some kind of control over AF - otherwise, just AF can really pull performance down.
02-27-2021, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sculptor666 Quote
on subjects that are far away, without the ability to zoom in through the ovf and make sure it's focusing... automatically or not... on a tiny little bird eye, doesn't seem like an advantage... you're just getting as close as you can, same as manual.

on subjects that are close, where the focus conformation box is the same as/smaller than the eye, it will be pretty awesome. even better if you can assign eye/af to a button on the camera body so you can switch from center point af to eye-tracking without moving the camera from your eye.
Those of us who use centre point AF and just focus on the birds eye are astounded by the complexity of this supposed improvement. I'm beginning to understand why so many people are messing with their cameras while I'm just shooting away. The big advantage to 24 or 36 MP is the ability to keep shooting centre point then adjust the composition when you crop in PP.

Did you know when shooting far away, your depth of field is greater and precise focusing becomes less important?
02-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #134
Pentaxian

I did’t say that you do, but there are some here who do so reliably.
02-27-2021, 11:43 AM   #135
Pentaxian

My KP allows me to use 25, 9, or just 1 point for AF.

Unless this camera has a special processor dedicated to AF, hopefully it gives some kind of control over AF - otherwise, just AF can really pull performance down.
Something similar with my K-1. They’v already stated that many of more advanced AF modes(I’ll count eye AF as one) need ‘green mode’ for AF. I’v played around with my K-1 now to see couple of things working already quite well if you let camera to do the work. You’ll need to practise thou. I think that back button AF will BM come in use as well as that joystick more and more. And there might be updates on that back screen use too(in LV atleast).

IMO eye AF must be great, but if camera will recognise the face(and eyes) and especially front part, not ears, because it focuses to the shoulder part or bigger form of the head where middle is just before the ears. This will solve most of the problems. Especially if one is not taking close portraits. When in portraits it is good to have eye.

About birds, they say nothing about bird eye AF. They say it does recognise the form of the bird. To me this is a big improvement. Then it is easy to get the head and the eye at there too. We will see.