Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 02:44 AM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
(from the earlier seminar) -the comment of feeding new subject-specific algorithms to the recognition system got me thinking about whether they could produce optional subject specific packs for different types of photography in future, and wondering if that would be a good idea - any thoughts?
I doubt they designed the camera to support this other than with general firmware updates.

Otherwise it sounds like Minoltas Creative Expansion Card system, where film cameras had a card slot to add features not included in the base camera.
Minolta Creative Expansion Card (1988 - 1997) | Museum of Obsolete Media

02-28-2021, 02:57 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Wakashiro-san mentioned that Pentax is committed to moving a head with both APS-C and full frame lines. It just happens that this major release is an APS-C one. Part of the reason for their continued commitment to APS-C is the range of high quality lenses they have brought out over the years.
Anything about 645?
02-28-2021, 03:20 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I doubt they designed the camera to support this other than with general firmware updates.
Just for clarity, this is the bit of the OPs post I was referring to:

'It's possible to feed lots of e.g. airplane pictures to train the deep learning algorithm, which could then be released as the new firmware. (Wakashiro san didn't say that that's what they'll do.)'

Which to me implies they could - I'm sort of interested in the would and should

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
Otherwise it sounds like Minoltas Creative Expansion Card system, where film cameras had a card slot to add features not included in the base camera
Ah yes - I'd forgotten about that - things have moved on though -time to try again?

The only real logic to this is that it prevents even more memory and computing space being taken up by features that individual photographers might not want - but my abilities such as they are are as a photographer, not a programmer or electronic engineer, so I'm really talking on a philosophical level about whether that sort of thing is a good idea,
02-28-2021, 03:34 AM   #34

Thanks for sharing! It seems that a lot of us are getting seriously interested in having the k3iii. Now, I just need to figure out to increase my fund allocation to buy the camera when it is available.

02-28-2021, 03:52 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Did no one on all those seminars show or comment on how to use the joystick while looking through the viewfinder?
I'm starting to doubt if it can be used that way at all, and that disappoints me somewhat.
The main reason I expect the new K3 III is exactly that option. I hope It will make the AF as close to the manual focus as possible as a process, with higher precision. Or maybe my dreams are too brave
02-28-2021, 03:58 AM - 2 Likes   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Did no one on all those seminars show or comment on how to use the joystick while looking through the viewfinder?
I'm starting to doubt if it can be used that way at all, and that disappoints me somewhat.
It seems the only rationale for having a joystick, so perhaps people are just taking it for granted that that will be the implementation, as Pentax are about the last to have one.
02-28-2021, 04:07 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It seems the only rationale for having a joystick, so perhaps people are just taking it for granted that that will be the implementation, as Pentax are about the last to have one.
I hadn't thought of that. Now that you mention it, it is very likely to be so. Thanks.

02-28-2021, 04:32 AM - 1 Like   #38
JPT
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
I hadn't thought of that. Now that you mention it, it is very likely to be so. Thanks.
Yes. It's a direct control for selecting the AF point

In fact there was a part of the interview with Tanaka-san where he was saying that he doesn't want to change the focus point, so he was wondering why it could not be assigned to anything else. This is despite the fact that there are no less than 10 other physical buttons that can be customized to one of 21 functions. So there is already a massive amount of customization.

But to come back to your question, that exchange pretty much confirms that it is a full-time control to select the AF point.
02-28-2021, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Further to this -

As somebody who has never used a camera with a joystick, can a joystick in general or this one in particular be used to activate AF as well as to select the point? The reason for asking is that I massively prefer rear button AF, but moving between buttons while my eye is on the finder isn't my strong suit
02-28-2021, 05:26 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Further to this -

As somebody who has never used a camera with a joystick, can a joystick in general or this one in particular be used to activate AF as well as to select the point? The reason for asking is that I massively prefer rear button AF, but moving between buttons while my eye is on the finder isn't my strong suit
Gosh, my first thoughts are that would be convenient. Maybe?

But even if not, the AF (or AE/L) button is the easiest for me to use sight unseen other than the shutter button itself. And having a more visual reference in the OVF for settings on the new K3III will absolutely be appreciated for someone who like me or you who can be button blind.
02-28-2021, 06:41 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Yes. It's a direct control for selecting the AF point

In fact there was a part of the interview with Tanaka-san where he was saying that he doesn't want to change the focus point, so he was wondering why it could not be assigned to anything else. This is despite the fact that there are no less than 10 other physical buttons that can be customized to one of 21 functions. So there is already a massive amount of customization.

But to come back to your question, that exchange pretty much confirms that it is a full-time control to select the AF point.
Thanks a lot. This brought my hope and expectations back. I feel I have nothing more to ask until the release of the camera.
02-28-2021, 07:19 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Has anything been mentioned in these talks about GPS, or integration via smartphone?
02-28-2021, 09:22 AM   #43
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Has anything been mentioned in these talks about GPS, or integration via smartphone?
My main feature for this would be a setting in imagesync or similar to sync images... That is as soon as I take a photo it will queue up for transfer to my photo in the requested size. If I take a 1000 image burst I wan't it to begin uploading immediately. Then 1hr later when I put my camera down the images are already on the phone in the requested size.
02-28-2021, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
My main feature for this would be a setting in imagesync or similar to sync images... That is as soon as I take a photo it will queue up for transfer to my photo in the requested size. If I take a 1000 image burst I wan't it to begin uploading immediately. Then 1hr later when I put my camera down the images are already on the phone in the requested size.
That should be doable, using the Smartphone Link options (the setting in the camera) - I don't think you can set a certain "requested size" but you could e.g. shoot RAW+ with a custom sized JPEG, and set the camera to upload the JPEG.
02-28-2021, 10:01 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That should be doable, using the Smartphone Link options (the setting in the camera) - I don't think you can set a certain "requested size" but you could e.g. shoot RAW+ with a custom sized JPEG, and set the camera to upload the JPEG.
Are you saying it can already be done or that it's doable with new software? The former would surprise me and the latter i sure hope so. A second super annoying thing with imagesync is that you don't queue the uploads. You select either one or many buy can't just push new files for upload.