Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 234 Likes Search this Thread
02-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by house Quote
Are you saying it can already be done or that it's doable with new software? The former would surprise me and the latter i sure hope so. A second super annoying thing with imagesync is that you don't queue the uploads. You select either one or many buy can't just push new files for upload.
The K-3 III was shown to have same or similar communication options with the GR III, including the Smartphone Link menu.

The camera pushes the new files for upload; on the smartphone, you'd need the Image Sync running and connected to the camera. (technically, Image Sync initiating the download would be pulling, not pushing).
It would be nice to have an automated upload to e.g. a FTP server, in Image Sync.

02-28-2021, 10:42 AM - 3 Likes   #47
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
Has anything been mentioned in these talks about GPS, or integration via smartphone?
Thanks for asking, because now I remember. (There was no expectation of GPS anyway because of all metal shell, it was an obvious no, but anyway Tanaka san and Wakashiro san briefly talked about that.)

Tanaka san asked why there's no GPS, Wakashiro san said they wanted all-metal shell from the bottom to the prism cover, he also said that GPS info from a smartphone via bluetooth connection could be written to EXIF.

They didn't talk about astrotracer but there were many comments in the chat window. One (or maybe two? anyway at least one) person was told in virtual touch and try event that astrotracer works with O-GPS1. (That pretty much means that you need O-GPS1 for astrotracer.)
02-28-2021, 11:07 AM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
[*]Wakashiro: "Motion prediction algorithm is much better too" for AF.C or some such.Tanaka: "Old lenses are slow for tracking" or some such. Wakashiro: "You'll feel the difference using 300mm lens, I think."
[
It is not the speed of the engine, but also the smart movement and focus prediction that makes the speed. A new 300 would probably also help.
02-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #49
Pentaxian

I didn't realize to ask this but did anyone talk more about the deep learning software? Could the camera learn based on the photos taken with it? I'm guessing that we the users can't feed the camera information to make it smarter at detecting subjects?

02-28-2021, 12:28 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeyBugs95 Quote
I didn't realize to ask this but did anyone talk more about the deep learning software? Could the camera learn based on the photos taken with it? I'm guessing that we the users can't feed the camera information to make it smarter at detecting subjects?
No, this has to be done by Pentax, and there need to be thousands and thousands examples in order to make it learn that. Then it will come to us via firmware update.
02-28-2021, 12:33 PM   #51
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
No, this has to be done by Pentax, and there need to be thousands and thousands examples in order to make it learn that. Then it will come to us via firmware update.
Right. It's not only that (the number of examples), but training the software with said examples requires very high computation resources (memory and processor), something that a camera doesn't have.
The following pattern matching is much less resource intensive.
02-28-2021, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #52
Kiwi Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Further to this -

As somebody who has never used a camera with a joystick, can a joystick in general or this one in particular be used to activate AF as well as to select the point? The reason for asking is that I massively prefer rear button AF, but moving between buttons while my eye is on the finder isn't my strong suit
Just to quickly answer this question - I have a Panasonic G9 which I used to use for stills while travelling internationally (pre pandemic shutdowns) and still use for 4K video - it has a joystick. You can use the joystick to scoot around the focus points whilst your eye is to the viewfinder, and then press the joystick to lock focus. It works well. On the Panasonic you can select single focus points or a 'fence' of multiple focus points. I mostly shoot landscape and cityscapes whilst travelling, so often use a small 'fence' of 9-16 focus points to highlight the focus area I want whilst framing for the composition. It is convenient, quick and works well, all whilst keeping my eye on the viewfinder. Using my K3 I can achieve the same sort of result with single point focus, half-press to lock and recompose.

I have found on the Panasonic the joystick works well, and I use it intuitively. I am hoping the K3 III has much the same functionality with its joystick.

02-28-2021, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NZ_Ross Quote
Just to quickly answer this question - I have a Panasonic G9 which I used to use for stills while travelling internationally (pre pandemic shutdowns) and still use for 4K video - it has a joystick. You can use the joystick to scoot around the focus points whilst your eye is to the viewfinder, and then press the joystick to lock focus. It works well. On the Panasonic you can select single focus points or a 'fence' of multiple focus points. I mostly shoot landscape and cityscapes whilst travelling, so often use a small 'fence' of 9-16 focus points to highlight the focus area I want whilst framing for the composition. It is convenient, quick and works well, all whilst keeping my eye on the viewfinder. Using my K3 I can achieve the same sort of result with single point focus, half-press to lock and recompose.

I have found on the Panasonic the joystick works well, and I use it intuitively. I am hoping the K3 III has much the same functionality with its joystick.
That's great - I hope the K-3iii is the same - Thanks!
03-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Tanaka san thought that the noise difference was about 1.5 stops (K-3 III is better). Lots of excited comments in the chat window.
This is the killer feature for me since I do a lot of astro shooting where getting rid of noise and getting/keeping as much signal is key. An extra 1.5 stops less noise than a K-1ii would be a massive improvement over the K-3 and K-3ii I am running with my long glass. The only question I have is what connector does it take for a remote release, I hope it is the 2.5mm 3 connector so I don't have to change things.
03-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
This is the killer feature for me since I do a lot of astro shooting where getting rid of noise and getting/keeping as much signal is key. An extra 1.5 stops less noise than a K-1ii would be a massive improvement over the K-3 and K-3ii I am running with my long glass. The only question I have is what connector does it take for a remote release, I hope it is the 2.5mm 3 connector so I don't have to change things.
I would use my smart phone as a ‘remote release’, since you could see the view through the lens at the moment you do the ‘release’.
03-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I would use my smart phone as a ‘remote release’, since you could see the view through the lens at the moment you do the ‘release’.
Well I have an intervalometer and while I do like getting new stuff I don't want to buy another one. If it uses the 3.5mm 3 connector jack that works too because 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter aren't hard to come by. My other release cables work well even with mittens on which is another added benefit of not having to get/make new stuff.
03-02-2021, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
Wakashiro-san mentioned that Pentax is committed to moving a head with both APS-C and full frame lines.
Nice to get yet another confirmation that FF development is very much ongoing.

Can't wait to see some of the K-3 III technology in a K-1 successor.
03-02-2021, 02:49 AM   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MossyRocks Quote
An extra 1.5 stops less noise than a K-1ii would be a massive improvement over the K-3 and K-3ii I am running with my long glass.
Don't get your expectations too high up. I predict that most of that gain will be due to in-camera denoising, i.e., it won't present a real advantage (other than saving you to do the denoising in post-processing).

The K-1 II has a ~1.2 stop advantage over any APS-C camera with the same sensor performance (due to the larger sensor, provided in a comparison the same f-stop is used, resulting in less DOF for the K-1 II compared to the K-3 III).

The K-3 III apparently uses a BSI sensor which gives it a half- to one stop advantage over a camera with a regular sensor.

I think we can safely assume that the sensor technology in the K-3 III will not be significantly be better compared to the K-1 II sensor (beyond the BSI advantage), so that leaves us still with a slight advantage for the K-1 II.

If the K-3 III now is still ahead with "1.5 stops less noise" then that means that all this gain just comes from in-camera post-processing.

This is not to throw shade on the K-3 III, the latter will be an awesome camera, I'm just trying to not let expectation run wild. I'm sure after a while, we'll get some hard data about the sensor used in the K-3 III and then we'll definitely know for sure how much of the "noise advantage" is due to hardware and how much is due to "image processing" (which has been publicly announced for the K-3 III and which the Pentax engineers are very proud of).
03-02-2021, 03:07 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Don't get your expectations too high up. I predict that most of that gain will be due to in-camera denoising, i.e., it won't present a real advantage (other than saving you to do the denoising in post-processing).
Oh, boy... here we go again...
Have you seen this?

03-02-2021, 03:28 AM   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seems real enough to me.....