Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2008, 05:27 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
f1.2 would provide the same DOF as 50mm on full frame, thus killing the whole DOF argument for FF. The extra light gathering ability would also allow you to run at a lower ISO thus killing the high ISO performance aspect of FF.
I'd want better ISO so I can shoot low light with f/8 for more DOF

11-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Well the only 30mm lens Pentax had made was the K 30mm f/2.8...
My wild guess is the mystery DA 30mm would be f/2.
11-20-2008, 05:40 AM   #18

Why is it that whenever lens prediction threads roll around, everyone always puts down unprecedented apertures? The fastest WA prime Pentax ever made was the M 35 f1.4. It's like when the DA 14 (f2.8) was announced and there was conversation about how neat a 14mm f1.2 would be. The best/fastest at any price/size/weight category is pretty well covered and I'm not sure that Pentax wants to start slugging it out in the 1.5-2k lens ultra-pro market.

At the same time, though, I guess it's kind of boring and pointless to predict a f1.4-f2.

Anyway, the fact that it's a 30 instead of a 31 suggest that the lens may not just be a transplant of the 31LTD into a weathersealed, SDM enabled housing. Optically, I think the 31LTD is one of the best lenses Pentax (or anyone) has on the market, so I'm pretty interested to see if they can improve on it. Either way, one of these lenses will be my next acquisition so I'll be following any news with interest.
11-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Well the only 30mm lens Pentax had made was the K 30mm f/2.8...
My wild guess is the mystery DA 30mm would be f/2.
That is the kind of nightmare i am reluctant to admit.

I think it would be f2 too. Otherwise the pricing would be beyond 1500 US dollars ...

11-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
That is the kind of nightmare i am reluctant to admit.

I think it would be f2 too. Otherwise the pricing would be beyond 1500 US dollars ...

I doubt it... what does the Sigma 30mm 1.4 cost? A 30mm 1.4 DA and sub $500 price would not be out of the question.
11-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
Why is it that whenever lens prediction threads roll around, everyone always puts down unprecedented apertures? The fastest WA prime Pentax ever made was the M 35 f1.4.
But this 30 is an APS-C normal lens, not a wideangle. Expecting a F 1,4 aperture, and a relatively cheap price, is not outlandish.
11-20-2008, 09:15 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
10% side consideration: Pentax still do a good business on the FA31. If they make this lens 1mm wider and equally as fast (not that f2 makes a big difference) then they eclipse the FA. If its 30/2, its still respectable, predictable, will still have all modern weather proofing/SDM amenities yet leaving the mystique of the FA intact.
I would guess its not going to have weather proofing unless its a DA* lense? In which case it could be relatively pricey like the DA*55mm.

11-20-2008, 10:22 AM   #23
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by frogger Quote
I would guess its not going to have weather proofing unless its a DA* lense? In which case it could be relatively pricey like the DA*55mm.
Its a DA* lens, as per the Pentax roadmap.
11-20-2008, 11:32 AM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by eurostar Quote
But this 30 is an APS-C normal lens, not a wideangle. Expecting a F 1,4 aperture, and a relatively cheap price, is not outlandish.
Yes, I was referring more to the f1.2 comment. Given the DA* 55 is about as big as the sigma 30 1.4 I don't think it's out of the question. Also, it's 2mm long to be a textbook definition perfect normal on the 1.53x crop, so maybe they did it for max aperture's sake. My money is on either a f1.4 or f1.8.
11-20-2008, 11:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
One of the China blogs claimed it to be f1.8
Is that the same blog with the new APS-H Pentax body? I'm betting on f2, Pentax doesn't need a $1,000+ lens right now.
11-20-2008, 12:20 PM   #26
RaduA

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Is that the same blog with the new APS-H Pentax body? I'm betting on f2, Pentax doesn't need a $1,000+ lens right now.
Unless there is an official spec sheet for the next K model I don't know about I suppose their guess is as good as yours. In fact IMO their guess is better than yours on both aspects.

Regards,
Radu
11-20-2008, 12:42 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by thePiRaTE!! Quote
Its a DA* lens, as per the Pentax roadmap.
Ahh.. Then I'm going to go ahead and guess ~$850 and ~F2
11-20-2008, 05:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by soccerjoe5 Quote
I'd want better ISO so I can shoot low light with f/8 for more DOF
Aye, but if you go full frame, in order to maintain FOV you would loose the same amount of DOF due to the focal length change. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, people always complain about APS-C not having as good high ISO, but your using a wider angle lens then you would on FF for the same shot, so you can just open up another stop, go down a stop in ISO and have the same DOF.

(note, this doesn't mean I'm against FF, it just doesn't have as many disadvantages as people make it out to, assuming there are lenses made specially for the sensor size. However FF destroys APS-C viewfinders, if pentax makes a higher magnification viewfinder(1.5x) on their cameras I really wont care that much when/if they go FF.)
11-20-2008, 06:19 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlbertSiegel Quote
I doubt it... what does the Sigma 30mm 1.4 cost? A 30mm 1.4 DA and sub $500 price would not be out of the question.
~$400 or so. If Pentax can produce a 30 with good edge-to-edge performance they'll have something special. If not, why buy the Pentax over the Sigma?
11-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nixcamic Quote
Aye, but if you go full frame, in order to maintain FOV you would loose the same amount of DOF due to the focal length change. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, people always complain about APS-C not having as good high ISO, but your using a wider angle lens then you would on FF for the same shot, so you can just open up another stop, go down a stop in ISO and have the same DOF.

(note, this doesn't mean I'm against FF, it just doesn't have as many disadvantages as people make it out to, assuming there are lenses made specially for the sensor size. However FF destroys APS-C viewfinders, if pentax makes a higher magnification viewfinder(1.5x) on their cameras I really wont care that much when/if they go FF.)
True on the "so you can just open up another stop, go down a stop in ISO and have the same DOF."

However it's hard even shooting at f/5.6 at clean ISOs without a flash with decent shutter speeds to freeze movement at very low light environments, such as a stage performance in a theatre.

I'm not complaining about APS-C but I am welcome to the extra clean ISO that FF can offer.