Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2021, 02:05 AM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
How would a "portrait camera" be any different from the K-3 III? Serious question.
Probably by being FF. I think of the K1 as being the portrait camera, but they've classified it as "landscape".

03-08-2021, 02:15 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Probably by being FF. I think of the K1 as being the portrait camera, but they've classified it as "landscape".
First, I don't think such a classification is meant to be exclusive, but more highlighting a special strong point of a setup.
Second, this video is by a photographer and not by Ricoh. He may just express his opinion.
However, Ricoh for sure has seen and accepted it, even if it does not have to be their internal classification.

For the moment being the KP is still available in all markets outside of Japan. I don't know how long the stock might last but who said there would not be a new one close to release. The KP was released without any preannouncement too. It might just be as affected by delivery and production delays as other cameras too.

Last edited by MMVIII; 03-08-2021 at 03:33 AM.
03-08-2021, 03:31 AM - 2 Likes   #18
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I say this with love but why do Ricoh's presentations all look like they are done in a low rent early 90's insurance office ?
They were created during the planning stages of the camera
03-08-2021, 03:34 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Because landscape is supposedly in opposition to "action".
IMO portrait is more of a draw. Ideally FF, sure because there's (potentially) more resolution and better choices of 'portrait' lenses.
BUT there's no real technical reason to classify APS or FF camera as 'portrait' format (if it even makes any sense to do such things).

I suppose Hasselblads would be rather classified as 'portraits' cameras opposed to action or landscape.

But in the end, anyone does whatever she/he wants with her/his camera.

Personnaly, I bought my K1 foremost to take pictures of my daughter so I guess it is a portrait camera, whatever it means.

03-08-2021, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, why did they discontinue the KP?
My first thought too.

KPii???
03-08-2021, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I like this introduction slide:

K1 landscape
K-3 moving body (I assume sport/wildlife)
KP casual (I assume Fujiish hipster )
K-70 entry level camera
K-3 Mark III is the core of the series (translation lost the III)
Where does the 645Z fit in?
03-08-2021, 04:00 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-3 moving body (I assume sport/wildlife)
Yes, but it could also mean portable in addition. Ie small and lightweight high-end system.

03-08-2021, 04:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
Yes, but it could also mean portable in addition. Ie small and lightweight high-end system.
Sure. Would make sense.

Here the original, maybe someone with language skills can get to are more precise translation.

This is what DeepL gives:

"Positioning among PENTAX SLR cameras

*K-1 is a landscape camera, K-3 is a dynamic camera KP is a casual camera K-70 is an entry-level camera

*K-3 MarkIII is the core of the K series"

---------- Post added 03-08-21 at 01:31 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
Where does the 645Z fit in?
I would see this a listing of "K-mount-cameras".
Attached Images

03-08-2021, 04:32 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

*K-3 MarkIII is the core of the K series"
This statement is quite interesting.
Remember that some people dismissed the K3 altogether. There would be no K3 (mark I) replacement. No Nikon D300 replacement aka no D500 they said, because everyone in their right mind would by an FF camera instead.
Apparently Pentax doesn't think so.....
03-08-2021, 04:41 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
So, why did they discontinue the KP?

And where is the portrait camera to go with the DFA* 50 and 85?
I don't think the KP is discontinued. It may be in short supply due to trouble getting parts (same reason that the K-3 III isn't out yet). Between COVID and chip factory fire, it seems that camera companies are having a bit of a hard time getting good supplies of parts they need right now.
03-08-2021, 05:35 AM - 2 Likes   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think the KP is discontinued. (...)
Ricoh Imaging seem to think otherwise.

Source: Products | RICOH IMAGING
03-08-2021, 06:54 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How would a "portrait camera" be any different from the K-3 III? Serious question.
A.”portrait” camera doesn’t need mobility or fast focusing
An “action” camera needs fast focusing.
A “field” {landscape} camera is where they need a “flippy” LCD.
03-08-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sooooo.......you've been using the K-1 for Portraits?? You know that's a violation of protocol, don't you? Off to the Gulag for you!
03-08-2021, 07:07 AM - 3 Likes   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think we tend to turn the world into binary choices, when much of it is a continuum with relatively few extremes. And we see our own little niches as the whole world, so the extremes of our little corner are seen as the edges of the universe.

In reality many, many portraits will be taken with the K-3 III, most of them indistinguishable from the results out of a 645Z or a Q or a K-7. Nobody thinks that the K-30 or the K-3ii are hard-core action cameras, but I've taken thousands of photos of sports with them. I'm sure there have been countless beautiful landscapes taken with a Nikon D500, which is an APS-C camera optimized for action.

If you made a scale of 0-10 with 0 being all still life and landscape, and 10 being completely optimized for action, every recent Pentax camera would probably fall into the 4-6 or 3-7 range. All of them could reasonably be classified as all-arounders with perhaps the exception of the 645Z. And even with the 645 I'm sure a really good photographer could get some fine action shots.
03-08-2021, 08:00 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sooooo.......you've been using the K-1 for Portraits?? You know that's a violation of protocol, don't you? Off to the Gulag for you!
I guess I'll get the firing squad... I've turned to using a Sony RX-10 v.1 for my portraits because I can sync with my 30 year-old Elinchrom EL 250s and EL 500s up to 1/2000th of a second! Woopie! That's, of course, If I'm not using the P67s with constant lighting for my B&W work.