Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 95 Likes Search this Thread
03-08-2021, 01:56 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Sure. Would make sense.

Here the original, maybe someone with language skills can get to are more precise translation.

This is what DeepL gives:

"Positioning among PENTAX SLR cameras

*K-1 is a landscape camera, K-3 is a dynamic camera KP is a casual camera K-70 is an entry-level camera

*K-3 MarkIII is the core of the K series"

---------- Post added 03-08-21 at 01:31 PM ----------

I would see this a listing of "K-mount-cameras".
But the slide says Positioning in Pentax SLR cameras. It doesn't say just K mount but I think that is really all they have left. They have pretty much given up on the 645.

03-08-2021, 02:04 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
But the slide says Positioning in Pentax SLR cameras. It doesn't say just K mount but I think that is really all they have left. They have pretty much given up on the 645.
As far as we know latest 645 about to be presented was suspended at the last moment, propably because it was going to share GFX100s sensor and GFX was so much more cheap. Propably aggressive move even in that perspective from Fuji. Now this could be that they have given up, or it could mean that they have to re think, to not to make a huge mistake and try again.
03-08-2021, 03:03 PM   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
In the days of film, professionals used medium-format to take 'portraits'.
Which way they used it depended on how many people were photographed.
With 6x6, a rather widespread medium format, that would not matter. And I'm not that sure there are many portrait 6x7 photos made with the Behemoth Pentax.
03-08-2021, 03:36 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Shouldn't a portrait camera be taller than its width?
The Canon certainly is, though the Mine Six is a landscape form factor, despite its portrait image taking.

Though the Mine Six can also shoot square. If my Rolleiflex and Yashicamat both have sports finders, does that mean square pictures are for sports?

A former coworker bought the remains of a WWII portrait studio back in the 1990s. I think the smallest camera they used (for engagement announcements and such) was 8x10 inches... none of that Pentax subminiature nonsense.

It was remarkable to see how they did retouching, too. But it was definitely a case of a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera being larger than any FF DSLR

-Eric

03-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
As far as we know latest 645 about to be presented was suspended at the last moment, propably because it was going to share GFX100s sensor and GFX was so much more cheap. Propably aggressive move even in that perspective from Fuji. Now this could be that they have given up, or it could mean that they have to re think, to not to make a huge mistake and try again.
Good point. If there are too much discrepancies in size and price between GFX100s and new 645, this OVF philosophy consistent with K3III isn't going to be as good an argument or selling point, at least for me.
03-08-2021, 08:54 PM - 2 Likes   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Settle down, guys, with the portrait/landscape orientation argument.
I think biz-engineer was having a joke.

One advantage of labelling a camera model as being aimed at portrait or landscape photographers is that the other site might be less strident in criticism of inability to focus on a moving bicycle.
03-08-2021, 09:16 PM - 3 Likes   #52
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattt Quote
Better than chopping heads off...
Now, that's not a portrait camera anymore, that's an illegal camera.

03-08-2021, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Now, that's not a portrait camera anymore, that's an illegal camera.
Is anyone going to argue with this one?
03-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I like this introduction slide:

K1 landscape
K-3 moving body (I assume sport/wildlife)
KP casual (I assume Fujiish hipster )
K-70 entry level camera
K-3 Mark III is the core of the series (translation lost the III)
Given this description of the KP, is it actually discontinued? Simply out of stock? "Casual" is an interesting description. "coolest version", maybe?
03-09-2021, 02:00 AM - 4 Likes   #55
JPT
Pentaxian

Yoshiaki Kobayashi is speaking as a guest of Ricoh but he is not a Ricoh spokesperson. He is just explaining who he thinks Ricoh's recent cameras are good for. Most of his sentences in that part of the talk include と思います (I think), so I understand it as his personal view.

The KP is definitely discontinued now (first referred to by Japan retailers and then reflected on the Ricoh site). There is likely to be a gap before any replacement. In terms of order, the K-3 III has to be first and then probably a K-70 replacement. It's possible that the KP was only ever meant to be a one-off. Or perhaps the K-70 and KP will merge into something, like closer to the KP styling but with a price closer to the K-70.

Anyway, looking back at this thread, I think people are reading too much into that slide. It's just his opinion.
03-09-2021, 02:41 AM - 2 Likes   #56

Suspension does not mean the end, Ricoh may have a new decision about 645 camera.
KP has been stopped because of its unsatisfactory sales, and the production line has given way to k3III. No more cameras like KP.
At least three dealers or photographers close to Ricoh have mentioned this to me.
03-09-2021, 03:12 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Good point. If there are too much discrepancies in size and price between GFX100s and new 645, this OVF philosophy consistent with K3III isn't going to be as good an argument or selling point, at least for me.
This is what I would incline to think of. They have said several times that 645 line as well as K-mont is what they want to keep. it would be foolish to see a possible big speedbump dangering whole consept and still go ahead with out adjusting. OVF is big thing for many pentaxians. and IF they can make it look and feel good, then couple thousand € difference wont matter 'that' much. I presume that many present users would like to go there from their 645Z. Now 12000 is about 50% more than GFX100s and it is too much to ask, even if it would be very good and have amazing OVF and they know this.

---------- Post added 03-09-21 at 12:15 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lemono Quote
Suspension does not mean the end, Ricoh may have a new decision about 645 camera.
KP has been stopped because of its unsatisfactory sales, and the production line has given way to k3III. No more cameras like KP.
At least three dealers or photographers close to Ricoh have mentioned this to me.
I do agree completelly. Although many does enjoy their KP, many of them bought it when it was already 30-50% off. Suppos the K-70 with big updates would do better.

I do agree about suspension of 645 too. It does not mean it is deleted from plan, just have to think again of some things.
03-09-2021, 03:40 AM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JPT Quote
It's possible that the KP was only ever meant to be a one-off..

I think that is very likely. If I remember correctly, the naming that deviates from the normal Pentax naming protocol, like K-1, K-7, K-70 etc, indicate one-offs trying out something different.
03-09-2021, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Settle down, guys, with the portrait/landscape orientation argument.
I think biz-engineer was having a joke.

One advantage of labelling a camera model as being aimed at portrait or landscape photographers is that the other site might be less strident in criticism of inability to focus on a moving bicycle.
I hope that was all part of a joke...
That was certainly my intent, and for I think the same reasons...

-Eric
03-09-2021, 03:47 AM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
I think that is very likely. If I remember correctly, the naming that deviates from the normal Pentax naming protocol, like K-1, K-7, K-70 etc, indicate one-offs trying out something different.
Right; but if they work out, they can be merged into the "main" line - like the K-S2 being the basis for the K-70. So it's not necessarily one-off.

I hope they will make a new KP-like (perhaps not with removable grips) camera, it fits the DA Limiteds very well.