Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 549 Likes Search this Thread
03-10-2021, 06:22 AM - 4 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

So, they are looking for partners / investors to keep the Pentax and GR brands alive and are thinking 'long and hard' to imagine a deal structuring to ensure that the two brands will continue (i.e. not a plain vanilla divestment).

03-10-2021, 06:42 AM - 9 Likes   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's the CEO so of course I'm hearing a lot of business speak. This is business language intended for other business people.

1. Ricoh Imaging isn't making any money and they don't see it making money, but they don't want to kill the brand as they do feel it has value.
2. They are actively looking to sell. But they do feel strongly for the brand, so they are willing to retain a portion as an investment (that's what that part means, I think).

I don't think by investment he means new products. He just means invest to make sure the brand stays alive, and that the employees can keep their jobs if possible (yes business people have a heart, more often than not... I find that the people involved are usually a huge concern)

He did mention the passionate fans of the brand, of which he is possibly one. But he needs to manage his company's resources properly and is going to find a solution to a problem. At some point, he will make a decision but he is inviting partners that are also passionate for the brands (Ricoh GR and Pentax) to help him keep them alive.
03-10-2021, 06:44 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by hoosierdome Quote
Olympus said they were fine up to the day they sold, not sure I'd read a lot into this.
Perhaps they have seen and digested just how badly that strategy worked for Olympus in terms of maintaining trust with the consumer.
03-10-2021, 06:59 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Olympus lost tons of money for years. The situation is not similar. I see this as meaning that they are not planning to sell but want cooperation/partnership with other companies.

03-10-2021, 07:08 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Thank for the info but for me it seem to be a similar situation as Olympus.
That would be great, because, you see, now that the camera division is free of Olympus' ownership they can truly develop amazing things - which were impossible before - and start ruling the camera market.
At least that's what their ambassadors are telling us

So that would means, Pentax and Olympus fighting for the #1 position on the market. But, I'm afraid you're mistaken and it's not similar at all...
03-10-2021, 07:47 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That would be great, because, you see, now that the camera division is free of Olympus' ownership they can truly develop amazing things - which were impossible before - and start ruling the camera market.
At least that's what their ambassadors are telling us

So that would means, Pentax and Olympus fighting for the #1 position on the market. But, I'm afraid you're mistaken and it's not similar at all...
Here I am over in the corner gathering all my Olympus and Pentax gear around me. "My Preciouses"
03-10-2021, 08:00 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OTOH how such statements, with nothing being said clear and recent "fall" of Olympus will affect sales of K-3/3? People who are hardcore fans will not care, those heavily invested into system also most likely not as they are also in many cases older people and if they buy K-3/3 it will last them as long as they can use them.

But newcomers, those of young(er) Pentaxians who have not heavily invested into gear and can relatively easy move away to other systems? If such people think that Pentax who had bright looking future yesterday may be sold like Olympus may hesitate to invest further into system they may perceive as doomed.

03-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think, if the people in the Imaging division have courage, and are creative, the investments they mention could take many shapes.

Could they create a way to piggy-back on a current mirrorless system, via an adapter, allowing them to sell K-mount lenses for other systems? Maybe that would lead to a profitable move, both by selling the adapter and by selling lenses to a new market.

That would still let them sell camera bodies for those who want them, but would potentially increase lenses sales.

For the record, Sony's user base appears to be 20x that of Pentax.
03-10-2021, 08:35 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
That may be true, but then if product generates loses why should company keep it if there is no perspective in making it profitable.
To make a complete system there may be a few items that sell at a loss OR to get people into the system there may be items where the margins are kept low to reduce barrier to entry.

Think about printers; a lot of home printers are sold at little to no profit if not a loss... and the ink & print head "consumables" are where the money is made. The consumer is into the system and the add-ons is where the mark-up and profits happen.

I'm wondering if there's another company Pentax could work with to bring their designs to a larger audience like via cooperation with Tamron. I don't think Tokina is really a great partner on that as they seem pretty troubled lately, moreso than Pentax. I don't know that the Opera 50 really sold all that well which is unfortunate.

Last edited by pres589; 03-10-2021 at 08:42 AM.
03-10-2021, 08:36 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

Sounds interesting. Here's the hoping that Pentax stays around for a super long time.
03-10-2021, 08:50 AM - 3 Likes   #26
Veteran Member

I think half of Ricoh/Pentax problems is not linked to product at all but to their communication. Their comms are almost medieval to today's world, their presentations are too. I don't really know wny but that is a big part of the problem why people don't take them seriously. Because the product certainly is serious and great.
03-10-2021, 09:01 AM - 3 Likes   #27
Pentaxian

Sounds like Ricoh are thinking about joint-venture for hosting Ricoh Imaging business outside of Ricoh, to avoid having financial ratios of camera business mess up with the ratio targets of Ricoh core business (not the same nature of businesses). The joint-venture, would be owned by Ricoh and other(s) (to be found) investment partner(s), such that the new "Ricoh Imaging" unit can be managed independently. Why not make a deal with JIP to create synergies with Olympus business such as lens development, image processing engines, autofocus? Join the L mount alliance, make a Pentax full frame mirrorless camera with K to L mount adapter, give access to all Sigma glass and autofocus from Olympus cameras. Putting Pentax outside of Ricoh would be a good thing, I've perceived Ricoh investment in Pentax to be very weak since 2017.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 03-10-2021 at 09:14 AM.
03-10-2021, 09:25 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'm wondering if there's another company Pentax could work with to bring their designs to a larger audience like via cooperation with Tamron.
That was my point above. Selling lenses is where Pentax could make the best profit margins.

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Why not make a deal with JIP to create synergies with Olympus business such as lens development, image processing engines, autofocus? Join the L mount alliance, make a Pentax full frame mirrorless camera with K to L mount adapter, give access to all Sigma glass and autofocus from Olympus cameras. Putting Pentax outside of Ricoh would be a good thing, I've perceived Ricoh investment in Pentax to be very weak since 2017.
Joining a sinking ship isn't very strategic Given the current market, Sony's relatively open platform is the most likely to allow entry. That's something I would definitely consider if I was part of the decision. Large user base, easy to enter the system, mount allows to adapt current lenses, plus Pentax's current lenses could fit in well within the E mount ecosystem (Limited, some STAR lenses, and even some consumer lenses such as the DFA 28-105 have no direct equivalent).
03-10-2021, 09:26 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by davidsladek Quote
I think half of Ricoh/Pentax problems is not linked to product at all but to their communication. Their comms are almost medieval to today's world, their presentations are too. I don't really know wny but that is a big part of the problem why people don't take them seriously. Because the product certainly is serious and great.
I so very much agree. Whatever audience they are speaking to perhaps understands, but largely most of what comes from them (and Pentax) is pretty opaque. Especially in Pentax's case, I don't see how clearer comms would hurt them---they are too small for clarity to hurt them, as it might the big three(arguable point even there...).
03-10-2021, 09:37 AM   #30
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
OTOH how such statements, with nothing being said clear and recent "fall" of Olympus will affect sales of K-3/3? People who are hardcore fans will not care, those heavily invested into system also most likely not as they are also in many cases older people and if they buy K-3/3 it will last them as long as they can use them.

But newcomers, those of young(er) Pentaxians who have not heavily invested into gear and can relatively easy move away to other systems? If such people think that Pentax who had bright looking future yesterday may be sold like Olympus may hesitate to invest further into system they may perceive as doomed.
I believe how bright their future is will depend on how many K3III they sell and I think that may depend on what the price is. If its north of 2k I believe that will be a BIG problem.