Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 187 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2021, 05:52 AM - 1 Like   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
But the new one is shiny!

More seriously though, it sounds like the K3III is going to be far friendlier to those old film lenses than the K1 is. Not that you can't use 'em with both but Pentax appears to have put considerable thought into making their new crop shooter a welcoming platform for the pre-digital lenses going back a few decades. IMHO it should be a far more convenient camera for using your old glass than the K1. The even better poor-light ISO and low-light focus performance of the K3III compared to the KP or K1, combined with apparently more finely detailed images, is delicious icing.
The only thing all of this has been doing is excite me much more for the K-1iii, whenever that happens . To the point where I'll likely get it, when I was previously adamant I'd keep the K-1 for at least a bunch of years more!

Since I'm not in a rush to upgrade, I'll be happy to get all of those improvements (OVF, responsiveness, IQ, metering, etc.) when they inevitably move to the FF model.

03-19-2021, 06:45 AM - 5 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
One thing to be said about old FF lenses that they might not be as good on FF as they perform with aps-c crop.
Actually, it is the other way round.

The APS-C format is a stress test for FF lenses as any of their imperfections are put under a 1.5x magnifying glass.

Yes, on the one hand, the APS-C format cherry-picks the best performing centre part of the image circle, but on the other hand, the higher enlargement needed (to get to the same output size) amplifies all optical aberrations, regardless of their nature.

Be ready for smeary edges, and be ready for need of new FF lenses too.
Yes, an FF sensor will capture the weakest portions of the image circle of lenses, but again with less magnification and therefore in a more forgiving manner. Vignetting can be easily addressed in post-processing and very few genres require excellent resolution in image corners.
03-19-2021, 10:16 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Actually, it is the other way round.

The APS-C format is a stress test for FF lenses as any of their imperfections are put under a 1.5x magnifying glass.

Yes, on the one hand, the APS-C format cherry-picks the best performing centre part of the image circle, but on the other hand, the higher enlargement needed (to get to the same output size) amplifies all optical aberrations, regardless of their nature.

Yes, an FF sensor will capture the weakest portions of the image circle of lenses, but again with less magnification and therefore in a more forgiving manner. Vignetting can be easily addressed in post-processing and very few genres require excellent resolution in image corners.
This is why I’m saying that old FF lenses fare better with aps-c. Because edes are quite of the bad. I have old FF lenses. Only lenses like FA limiteds are acceptable. While for example A24/2.8 was very nice on my K-3, I was quite disappointed with that and K-1. Which I was quite surprised to learn.

Many FF lenses has now modern version and I also wanted Wide end too.

Ofcourse this is quite objective, but I have found them lacking when I want edge to edge sharpness and high quality. Why have less if one want k-1?
03-19-2021, 10:31 AM   #79
Pentaxian

This is why I’m saying that old FF lenses fare better with aps-c. Because edes are quite of the bad. I have old FF lenses. Only lenses like FA limiteds are acceptable. While for example A24/2.8 was very nice on my K-3, I was quite disappointed with that and K-1. Which I was quite surprised to learn.

Many FF lenses has now modern version and I also wanted Wide end too.

Of course this is quite objective, but I have found them lacking when I want edge to edge sharpness and high quality. Why have less if one want k-1?
Some of us have always put what we consider important towards the center, and haven't been very interested in the edges - that was how photographers acted fifty years ago, and some of us still do.
We don't want the edges to take attention away from the primary subject - might even want it a tad out of focus.
I would be interested in a modern "FF" camera, and would use it mostly with older lenses like my Takumar 50mm and my Pentax-M 28mm.

03-19-2021, 02:14 PM   #80
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Some of us have always put what we consider important towards the center, and haven't been very interested in the edges - that was how photographers acted fifty years ago, and some of us still do.
We don't want the edges to take attention away from the primary subject - might even want it a tad out of focus.
I would be interested in a modern "FF" camera, and would use it mostly with older lenses like my Takumar 50mm and my Pentax-M 28mm.
Yes, I understand that. This is why I said about 'this is objective' because some don't mind and for some it would be actually the charm. How ever I'v shot with film too. and I'v used some of my old lenses with that format too. Not takumars thou.

I get it.

For me, when I shoot landscapes, I want also edges to be sharp. when I don't mind or use open or close wide open aperture and get my subject in or out of the frame, I still mind how edges/whole picture look like. We talk about the same thing -over and over again- and it end up being this debate. I love my Takumars, more on my K-3(don't have that anymore) than on my K-1. I'v tried them couple of times. There is a lot of clean up after using them and if images would give me thrill and same sensation as they did wih K-3 I'd use them still. Now they are sitting at my drawer. it just simply don't do the same. I rather use my FA limiteds or some other even more modern lenses. I'v sold off many good vintage lenses. Why. because they did not get me excited anymore. But then again someone out there might think that this is exactly what I need. I have to say that some of them are still good, and even if K-1 is too much for some, I still keep them and shoot with them. I might sell practical lens like DFA 28-105(won't really). I'm still lusting after for some vintage stuff, but after shooting with them and having FA limiteds, DA* and DFA* lenses, it is hard to go back. Especially because clean crisp images do give me pleasure and when and if i will actually print them, it does matter.

That said even my soligor 28/2.8 and some other simple cheap gems are nice, very nice.
03-19-2021, 04:15 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Worth the wait....

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
https://youtu.be/-m99bzuSCtQ

---------- Post added 18-03-21 at 12:33 PM ----------

There's English subtitles.

---------- Post added 18-03-21 at 12:40 PM ----------

Hopefully this means the release date is soon?
Looks stunning, amazing features and high-ISO performance! Well done, Pentax! How long till the whining starts again? Do we wait, or do we just start right in? OK, I'll start: Even with this camera, Pentax is still doomed...DOOMED!!!

Stay safe, everybody. And wear a mask; it's a diaper for your face, not a political statement.

Cheers,
Cameron
03-20-2021, 06:29 AM - 2 Likes   #82
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cambo Quote
Looks stunning, amazing features and high-ISO performance! Well done, Pentax!
Agreed!

QuoteQuote:
How long till the whining starts again?
Did it stop?

QuoteQuote:
Do we wait, or do we just start right in? OK, I'll start: Even with this camera, Pentax is still doomed...DOOMED!!!
Disagreed! It seems that people will complain no matter what Pentax do, but people whining has nothing to do with the actual survival of the brand. Some will buy the K3iii, some won't. That's OK. Lots of people are still using much older Pentax cameras, and will probably continue to do so until they fail irretrievably. That's OK too. I think enough will sell. I personally can't wait to click the "buy" button.

03-20-2021, 06:44 AM   #83
Pentaxian

And many will buy it after 1 yr after people who bought it are still raving about it.
03-20-2021, 06:55 AM - 1 Like   #84
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
You're welcome! I knew that it would be helpful to the folks who had no Japanese, especially when the automatic translation of Japanese is awful. I'll be placing that order as soon as CRK list it. I just checked again, and I notice that the KP has now disappeared from the CRK site.
I see that a lot of DSLR bodies on the CRK site are backordered with a due-date of 12/04/21. I wonder if that date is significant given the following post from earlier in this thread:

QuoteOriginally posted by jersey Quote
It seems that my info about it being available in first half of April was not all that wrong. Glad to see it, though, as I said with Japanese movie, Wakashiro-san is looking very, very tired (on verge of "screw it, I'm going home"?), it looks like it was hard time to his team.
03-20-2021, 07:22 AM - 3 Likes   #85
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Rats. I'd managed to convince myself that sticking with the K-3II was the way to go, and now this video comes out! I think that I can justify the purchase and keeping the K-3II by telling myself that if I need Astrotracer, the mkII will do that. (Not that I've ever sold any camera or lens that I've superseded...)
03-20-2021, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #86

Was the new model tested in Portugal?

One thing that has me intrigued (and I've seen it more than once) is that the sample image shown at around minute 18 of the video is of a village in Portugal, some 50 km north of Lisbon - ther village is "Azenhas do Mar". It seems odd, at least because with all the lockdowns and travel restrictions why would Ricoh send someone (or a prototype) to Portugal for a photo test?

Unless, of course the photo was not taken with a K3-III...

Here's a photo I took of the same village a couple of years ago with a K-3 and the old FA28-105 (showing lack of resolution/sharpness).
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-20-2021, 09:23 AM   #87
Pentaxian

Or the camera was sent there.
Seems smarter to me.
03-20-2021, 09:24 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
Or the camera was sent there.
Seems smarter to me.
Seems more plausible, of course - but still a bit odd.
03-20-2021, 09:37 AM - 2 Likes   #89
Pentaxian

There are ambassadors for pentax all over the world. These guys get to try new products before they are released. And they do offer their photos too for Pentax.
03-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #90
Pentaxian

There are ambassadors for pentax all over the world. These guys get to try new products before they are released. And they do offer their photos too for Pentax.
From comments on Facebook, I believe people like Kerrick James already tested the camera. Why not in Europe, too?