Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 393 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 05:39 PM   #391
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote

As for battery power, the X-T20 is rated for far fewer shots than my K-3 and yet the battery lasts longer. Why? Because the Fujifilm gear much more often gets white balance, exposure and AF spot-on, so I need fewer shots and do less in-camera PP to get the images I want. That's an important consideration when looking at battery statistics, but people seem to completely ignore it. It sounds like the new K-3 III will close that gap somewhat but only time will tell how much.
I have never done any in camera post-processing, and white balance is of no concern to me as I shoot raw.

04-02-2021, 05:43 PM   #392
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
I have never done any in camera post-processing, and white balance is of no concern to me as I shoot raw.
White balance presumably is of interest to you - but you do all post-processing in your computer, not in your camera.
In other words, you could have left off all your words after your comma.
04-02-2021, 05:57 PM   #393
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Same here. I don't recall the last time I shot anything other than RAW. I much prefer my own processing to what the camera does.

Now after saying that I won't decide ahead of time not to ever process JPEGS on camera on the K3III until I've tried it. I have an open mind,
04-02-2021, 06:30 PM   #394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Now after saying that I won't decide ahead of time not to ever process JPEGS on camera on the K3III until I've tried it. I have an open mind,
I’ve never processed JPEGs in-camera; I won’t say “never”, but I don’t see the point.
I have a better view on a computer, and I don’t see the point of running down the camera’s battery.

04-02-2021, 06:53 PM   #395
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
Kerrick James posted a hands on review as well (on YouTube), in which he looked at that and stated his rough comparison is that the ISO 12800 on the K-3 III was roughly equivalent to to ISO 3200 on the K-1 II. An approximate 2 stop increase...over a FF!
I watched the video ... he likes the camera a lot. Great at high ISO. He didn't tell much about the AF though. Overall: very impressed.
The thing that many people dont get about a $2k price tag, is that this camera has updated every aspect of the K-3 II by a large margin...more than just the usual small generational increments. There are also many aspects of this camera that CANT be measured by numbers on a spec sheet. To me, it almost looks as if Ricoh said 'Hey...lets take the K-1 II, update EVERYTHING in it, and put an APSC sensor in it'. When virtually every aspect of the new K-3 III is the best of that feature in any current Pentax body, of course its going to cost more than $999.
That's going to be a bit on the hefty price tag for me but I'm still very much impressed with the users' reviews so far.
While I do wish that a few things could have been included on this body, Im excited for it. Having invested quite a bit into DA* lenses, it makes far more sense for me to drop $2k on this body and make full use of its features, vs $2k on a FF and be forced to use it in crop mode. Frankly...every Pentaxian should be excited for this body! If its not a body for you...fine, but these technology advances will find their way into a future K-1 III and very likely a future K-70/KP replacement.
What more would you have liked to see in the K3 III ?
04-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #396
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I’ve never processed JPEGs in-camera; I won’t say “never”, but I don’t see the point.
I have a better view on a computer, and I don’t see the point of running down the camera’s battery.
Well then we're in complete agreement, as Paul seems to be too.
04-02-2021, 07:01 PM   #397
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Why couldn't they call it Pentax K-5 III ?
I heard they plan to keep the K-1 as the FF line and the K-3 as the APS-C line. I heard they intend to make K-3 IV and K-3 V as well.

04-02-2021, 07:21 PM   #398
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Why couldn't they call it Pentax K-5 III ?
I think they should save that for the K-70 replacement.

Their lineup would be K-1 III, K-3 III, and K-5 III
04-02-2021, 11:57 PM   #399
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Because we have problems with EVFs?

What is "great" for you might only be "bearable" for us, sometimes not even that.
Then let's just say I was surprised that so many people experience these issues. If that's the case, there must be a healthy future for DSLRs. Perhaps I don't have problems because my style of photography does not usually entail me having to keep my eye at the viewfinder for more than a few seconds at a time.
04-03-2021, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #400
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
Then let's just say I was surprised that so many people experience these issues.
I am surprised that so many people claim to be unable to see a world of difference between a room with windows and one where the windows have been blocked and filled with computerscreens.

Are there so many people outside gearhead forums with very poor eyesight and super low quality requirements?

Actually I think not. It is more likely some non photography interested few geeks only as the number of houses being built without proper windows but with screens is not so high. People pay a lot of money for nice windows to the real outside world.
04-03-2021, 12:37 AM - 1 Like   #401
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I am surprised that so many people claim to be unable to see a world of difference between a room with windows and one where the windows have been blocked and filled with computerscreens.
I never said I didn't see a difference between EVFs and OVFs. I just find both acceptable, with advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation. In very low light, an EVF can be preferable. The opposite is true in bright sunshine. In between those extremes, I don't have a problem withy either means of viewing the image. For macro work, I usually use the rear LCD. It's horses for courses as far as I'm concerned.
04-03-2021, 03:23 AM - 2 Likes   #402
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
I never said I didn't see a difference between EVFs and OVFs. I just find both acceptable, with advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation. In very low light, an EVF can be preferable. The opposite is true in bright sunshine. In between those extremes, I don't have a problem withy either means of viewing the image. For macro work, I usually use the rear LCD. It's horses for courses as far as I'm concerned.
EVFs aren't solvable for many of us. I really do get eye strain and eventually headaches if I use an EVF for more than about 15 minutes. I don't have the same experience using live view or a cell phone screen -- I suppose the difference has to do with closeness of the screen to my eye. Maybe I could learn to use one, it is just as long as there are SLRs out there that I can use without eye strain I'd prefer to just buy one of those. The difference in image quality is really not that much.

I'm probably a special case. I can't play 3-D games either -- I start to get motion sick pretty quickly in those sorts of games so I guess I'm a genetic dead end, waiting to superseded by the digitally tolerant super race to come.
04-03-2021, 03:27 AM   #403
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
EVFs aren't solvable for many of us. I really do get eye strain and eventually headaches if I use an EVF for more than about 15 minutes. I don't have the same experience using live view or a cell phone screen -- I suppose the difference has to do with closeness of the screen to my eye. Maybe I could learn to use one, it is just as long as there are SLRs out there that I can use without eye strain I'd prefer to just buy one of those. The difference in image quality is really not that much.

I'm probably a special case. I can't play 3-D games either -- I start to get motion sick pretty quickly in those sorts of games so I guess I'm a genetic dead end, waiting to superseded by the digitally tolerant super race to come.
That's exactly my case, too - I could get used with the better EVFs, limit the amount of time I'm looking through it etc.; but why should I, when there's a better (for me) alternative?

It seems like VR sets with a bit of lag are awful. Didn't tried one myself, but I have friends who did...
04-03-2021, 03:33 AM   #404
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's exactly my case, too - I could get used with the better EVFs, limit the amount of time I'm looking through it etc.; but why should I, when there's a better (for me) alternative?

It seems like VR sets with a bit of lag are awful. Didn't tried one myself, but I have friends who did...
The odd thing is that I use a laptop all day long without issues -- not playing games, using health records and stuff like that. It never bothers me, but start to include some motion and particularly an EVF and I'm toast.

(I used to have problems even with Omni-max movies that had too much motion -- it just really unsettled my stomach).
04-03-2021, 03:46 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The odd thing is that I use a laptop all day long without issues -- not playing games, using health records and stuff like that. It never bothers me, but start to include some motion and particularly an EVF and I'm toast.

(I used to have problems even with Omni-max movies that had too much motion -- it just really unsettled my stomach).
I don't think it's odd at all, and I am using computer screens (laptop and separate monitor) all day long, due to my job. Although I'm usually not sensitive to motion.
But an EVF... I guess it's because the EVF is the entire view, and it's also much closer to the eye?