Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 04:43 AM   #91
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
yes , it is rather flaky
Please NOTE! the different part numbers??
Bizarre. Maybe they are different production batches. I mainly meant that over the last couple of days it hasn't worked at all.

03-26-2021, 05:09 AM   #92
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Bizarre. Maybe they are different production batches. I mainly meant that over the last couple of days it hasn't worked at all.
The KP has now disappeared from the CRK page. Given that it still shows K-50 and K-S2 (due 14/4), I guess that means that somewhere there is still stock of those other long-discontinued cameras, but the KP is now barely a memory.
03-26-2021, 05:40 AM - 1 Like   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One accessory that many ordering a K-3 Mark III will need/want is a new UHS-II memory card. Any suggestions on types or specs?
03-26-2021, 05:44 AM   #94

interesting comparison with X-T4, that retails around £1400-£1500 in UK - anyone know the T4 Launch price in Japan?

£1500 for K3 iii, even if it includes a free battery grip is above my resistance point right now

03-26-2021, 06:26 AM   #95
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Raffwal Quote
As has been posted in other threads months ago, a Finnish webstore (Kamerakauppa netissä - Top Shot | Top Shot - Kamerakauppa) has shown the preliminary price of 1999 € (incl. 24% VAT) for a long time. Today I asked them if that is the actual price or just a placeholder. They answered that they have not been told the actual price yet, but it should be pretty much that.
that is seriously high price for non full frame, it's basically more than double than what I paid for K3, I hope price is a lot more normal once available because while I'm excited there is zero chance I'm buying body only for that much money, this won't be too good for future of pentax as well I would fear. I most likely will purchase on sale of some sort as it will let me keep using my pentax lenses for long time in to the future but they really pushing this now, no sigma options for cheaper glass is major turn off, lets hope things will change for better soon enough
03-26-2021, 06:46 AM - 21 Likes   #96

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
that is seriously high price for non full frame, it's basically more than double than what I paid for K3, I hope price is a lot more normal once available because while I'm excited there is zero chance I'm buying body only for that much money, this won't be too good for future of pentax as well I would fear. I most likely will purchase on sale of some sort as it will let me keep using my pentax lenses for long time in to the future but they really pushing this now, no sigma options for cheaper glass is major turn off, lets hope things will change for better soon enough
People need to decide if they want an inexpensive camera that makes them whinge about not having good enough autofocus or a camera with significant technological additions. Ricoh invested a bunch of money in developing the K-3 iii, and it's far and away better than what they brought to the market as the earlier bodies in the K-3 series. (The K-3 launched at US$1300 in November 2013. That's US$1467 today.) The most direct comparison here is Nikon's D500, really the only other flagship APS-C DSLR on the market. The launch price in March 2016 was US$1999.99. Adjusting for inflation, that would be US$2192 today. We're looking at a US launch price on the K-3 iii in the US$1700–1800 range, which puts it just below the current K-1 ii price. Pentax has made pretty clear that they are setting up a situation where users who benefit from full frame will buy a camera in the K-1 series and those who want lighter, 1.5x crop factor (built in teleconverter, in some sense), advanced autofocus (for now…that's probably coming to the K-1 iii), higher burst rate, etc. will buy a camera in the K-3 series. I'd say the improvements Pentax has made to the K-3 iii justify a ~US$300 increase in launch price over where the K-3 launched.
03-26-2021, 06:57 AM   #97
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
interesting comparison with X-T4, that retails around £1400-£1500 in UK - anyone know the T4 Launch price in Japan?

(...)
Retail price = ¥204,500 excluding VAT (10% in Japan).
03-26-2021, 07:17 AM - 1 Like   #98

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
People need to decide if they want an inexpensive camera that makes them whinge about not having good enough autofocus or a camera with significant technological additions. Ricoh invested a bunch of money in developing the K-3 iii, and it's far and away better than what they brought to the market as the earlier bodies in the K-3 series. (The K-3 launched at US$1300 in November 2013. That's US$1467 today.) The most direct comparison here is Nikon's D500, really the only other flagship APS-C DSLR on the market. The launch price in March 2016 was US$1999.99. Adjusting for inflation, that would be US$2192 today. We're looking at a US launch price on the K-3 iii in the US$1700–1800 range, which puts it just below the current K-1 ii price. Pentax has made pretty clear that they are setting up a situation where users who benefit from full frame will buy a camera in the K-1 series and those who want lighter, 1.5x crop factor (built in teleconverter, in some sense), advanced autofocus (for now…that's probably coming to the K-1 iii), higher burst rate, etc. will buy a camera in the K-3 series. I'd say the improvements Pentax has made to the K-3 iii justify a ~US$300 increase in launch price over where the K-3 launched.
Well said

03-26-2021, 07:23 AM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is on point!!!!
03-26-2021, 07:27 AM   #100
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Croc Quote
Yep, that's about double what I paid for my K-3 and well into territory where I'd consider moving to a FF system if I were to spend that much. Still, my original K-3 is still going strong and I don't expect it to give up the ghost any time soon, so there'll be plenty of time for the mark III to come down in price before I'm close to making a new DSLR a real consideration.

I am very excited for it to come out though so we can see what it's capable of.
03-26-2021, 07:31 AM - 4 Likes   #101
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

People need to understand that this isn't your typical Pentax from years ago, where it packs a lot into the body but has a sensor a generation or two behind and autofocus from 2008. This isn't a good camera for the money, but appears to be (at least arguably) the best APS-C DSLR from anyone, ever. It's slotted in to compete with the X-T4, and will be priced appropriately for that.
03-26-2021, 07:33 AM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure this has been addressed, but I missed it: does the K-3 III support screw-drive AF, like with older DA lenses?
03-26-2021, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #103
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Smolk Quote
I'm sure this has been addressed, but I missed it: does the K-3 III support screw-drive AF, like with older DA lenses?
Of course it does.
03-26-2021, 07:35 AM   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yep, that's about double what I paid for my K-3 and well into territory where I'd consider moving to a FF system if I were to spend that much.
Except that the FF system will be bigger, heavier, the lenses will often be much more expensive, and at least for Pentax the camera will not be as fast nor have as advanced ISO processing or autofocus. The K-1 II may be a better camera for still lifes and landscapes, but the K-3 III is better in a lot of ways despite (or in some cases because of) the smaller sensor.
03-26-2021, 07:41 AM - 1 Like   #105
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yep, that's about double what I paid for my K-3 and well into territory where I'd consider moving to a FF system if I were to spend that much. Still, my original K-3 is still going strong and I don't expect it to give up the ghost any time soon, so there'll be plenty of time for the mark III to come down in price before I'm close to making a new DSLR a real consideration.

I am very excited for it to come out though so we can see what it's capable of.
I sold my K-3 to my father-in-law to partial fund the purchase of my K-1 (which I kind of regret sometimes ... but there's still the trusty ol' K-5).

I am looking forward to seeing what the new K-3iii can do ... but at this price level, I would prefer any day a "newer" K-1 version. Hands down.

If the time frame for a "major K-1 update" is to be like that of the K-3, then there's still a long wait ahead.

I bought my K-3 when it came out ... seven and a half years ago.

That's far, far too long for a flagship APS-C DSLR.