Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 393 Likes Search this Thread
03-26-2021, 07:41 AM   #106

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
People need to understand that this isn't your typical Pentax from years ago, where it packs a lot into the body but has a sensor a generation or two behind and autofocus from 2008. This isn't a good camera for the money, but appears to be (at least arguably) the best APS-C DSLR from anyone, ever. It's slotted in to compete with the X-T4, and will be priced appropriately for that.
Most are probably going to compare this to the d500 on the dslr side of things and the x-t4 and a6600 on the mirrorless side of things. From what we've seen so far, this is definitely more advanced than the d500, we just need confirmation that the af system is better. The x-t4 I expect to obviously win out in video comparisons, but stills is hopefully where the pentax will shine. Same goes for the a6600.

03-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
People need to understand that this isn't your typical Pentax from years ago, where it packs a lot into the body but has a sensor a generation or two behind and autofocus from 2008. This isn't a good camera for the money, but appears to be (at least arguably) the best APS-C DSLR from anyone, ever. It's slotted in to compete with the X-T4, and will be priced appropriately for that.
I shoot an X-T3 (which is an X-T4 without IBIS) and K-1.

IMHO, the K-3iii will have to be excellent (+++) in order to equal the X-T4.

There will be no competition when it comes to video ... X-T4 win be very hard to beat, given Pentax video capabilities.

Plus the X-T4 will start to be retail discounted a bit more in the near future ... probably my next Fujifilm body, but I am waiting to see the coming X-H2.

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 03-26-2021 at 08:13 AM.
03-26-2021, 07:51 AM   #108

Photos: Albums
Is this an April fools joke???????? Is the K3III just vapor ware will it ever be released? If release is next week why no preorder at B & H and Adorama?? This is a joke
03-26-2021, 07:52 AM   #109
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
I sold my K-3 to my father-in-law to partial fund the purchase of my K-1 (which I kind of regret sometimes ... but there's still the trusty ol' K-5).

I am looking forward to seeing what the new K-3iii can do ... but at this price level, I would prefer any day a "newer" K-1 version. Hands down.

If the time frame for a "major K-1 update" is to be like that of the K-3, then there's still a long wait ahead.

I bought my K-3 when it came out ... seven and a half years ago.

That's far, far too long for a flagship APS-C DSLR.
If any of rumours will be true, next K-1 will have 61 MP sensor and most if not all of things from K-3III. It is going to be 2500+ . And that could happen with in year or 2. I love my K-1 and I think that this K-3 will be very nice combo with it. As well as with even higher pixelcount next gen K-1.

03-26-2021, 07:54 AM   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
If any of rumours will be true, next K-1 will have 61 MP sensor and most if not all of things from K-3III. It is going to be 2500+ . And that could happen with in year or 2. I love my K-1 and I think that this K-3 will be very nice combo with it. As well as with even higher pixelcount next gen K-1.
Yeah, thanks.

I am saving a few more pennies ... we'll see.
03-26-2021, 07:55 AM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by rr1736 Quote
Is this an April fools joke???????? Is the K3III just vapor ware will it ever be released? If release is next week why no preorder at B & H and Adorama?? This is a joke
That's a bit of a mistranslation. Pre orders start next week, the actual ship/release day is supposedly april 23rd
03-26-2021, 07:56 AM   #112
Pentaxian

Pentax Rumors announcement = rumors

Ricoh/Pentax announcement = a bit more solid information

03-26-2021, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #113
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yep, that's about double what I paid for my K-3 and well into territory where I'd consider moving to a FF system if I were to spend that much. Still, my original K-3 is still going strong and I don't expect it to give up the ghost any time soon, so there'll be plenty of time for the mark III to come down in price before I'm close to making a new DSLR a real consideration.

I am very excited for it to come out though so we can see what it's capable of.
Finnish price(1999) is usually 100-200 more than itis at rest of the EU. I bought my K-3 as a pre order back then. It was 600 less than this new K-3III. AND it was not as advanced to it’s preceded models as this K-3III is to anything so far in Pentax land.

And as we know price will get down from launch price in half year or so.
03-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #114
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Unless I'm mistaken, Japan doesn't do April's Fools.
Neither does most of the non-Anglosaxon world.
03-26-2021, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #115
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Unless I'm mistaken, Japan doesn't do April's Fools.
Neither does most of the non-Anglosaxon world.
We do it in France ... and it's fun to listen to the radio news that day, because there's usually a gag headline ... like a couple of years ago when it was said that the Mayor of Paris was going to sell the Eiffel Tower to a foreign consortium.
03-26-2021, 08:18 AM   #116
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Yep, that's about double what I paid for my K-3 and well into territory where I'd consider moving to a FF system if I were to spend that much. Still, my original K-3 is still going strong and I don't expect it to give up the ghost any time soon, so there'll be plenty of time for the mark III to come down in price before I'm close to making a new DSLR a real consideration.

I am very excited for it to come out though so we can see what it's capable of.
Take into account that the K-1 is much cheaper than one would expect by using a sensor that was several years old and electronics of similar vintage. A similarly-performing FF that doesn't use an old 24MP chip is gonna run you about 3K. This is looking like it's better than the D500 in a good bunch of ways already. Probably better than the X-T4 in some aspects as well, although the spec sheet on the Pentax is a touch less impressive.
And like Thor said, lenses will also factor into the equation.
03-26-2021, 08:19 AM - 2 Likes   #117

Taking k-1 pricing as a guess, I think it is of limited significance.
Five years have passed since the k-1, and many things have changed.
The pricing of k-3iii in various regions can refer to DFA * 85. I think I can't say anymore.
03-26-2021, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #118
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jean Poitiers Quote
We do it in France ... and it's fun to listen to the radio news that day, because there's usually a gag headline ... like a couple of years ago when it was said that the Mayor of Paris was going to sell the Eiffel Tower to a foreign consortium.
Hah, I didn't know that. In Spain we do the joke day on the 28th of December.
03-26-2021, 08:22 AM - 2 Likes   #119
mee
Veteran Member

Because both are observing the Passover Holiday until April 5th. So they're closed until then.
03-26-2021, 08:24 AM - 1 Like   #120
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
People are so up in arms over the price but... consider how you'll have the camera. If you want it, just buy it assuming you have the means. The pain of purchase will be over in time. My K3 has long since paid for itself many times over. These things are always expensive when they're released, and as others say, there's a lot of new tech going into this one!