Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #226
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
With everything said about the K3III in different threads which are very lengthy (and because of my usual laziness), will there be a NEW grip for the K3III?
It would be nice to be able to use the one(s) from the K3, K3II.
Short answer, YES.

03-29-2021, 08:54 AM   #227
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
Originally posted by bencoskater QuoteUS $1850-2000 which is CAD $2330-2520. No thanks, I don't think I'll buy it for the moment... I was eager to see this camera released but not at that price, especially when there is the D500 with 153 focus points (99 cross focus points) for CAD $2000. I would say yes for a price between CAD $1600-1800.Maybe I'll change my mind but not until I see how it performs, especially the tracking for wildlife and sports.For me the cost of switching systems from Pentax to Nikon would be much higher than a few hundred dollars. Also, the D500 doesn't have IBIS, or the K-3iii's high ISO performance, among other things.
I agree. We'll see what's the real price. We are only speculating and we don't have the price yet. I need to see in real life how it performs and if it's worth it. When I look the price of the 85mm 1.4 AW and the fact that just a bunch of people bought it, I'm scared it won't be a real success for the K3 III if the price is to high. I might be one who will buy it, maybe not. I'm waiting the reviews to decide.
03-29-2021, 10:14 AM   #228
Pentaxian

All I'm waiting for is the verdict on AF performance. That alone will determine if I buy it or not. Everything seems to point to the AF system finally having a major overhaul that will result in some very good AF performance, but until it gets into the hands of Pentax users & other reviewers, we really won't know how much better it actually is. Like usual, there will be an "early adopter fee" for those that want it now. Will I be one of those? I'll know after I see it in action. Hahaha!

I'm also looking forward to the Sony a7IV. The a7III was a pretty nice camera, so I can only imagine that the a7IV will be even better with their latest real-time tracking AF plus all the other updates.

In either case, I don't plan on buying any camera gear until the end of this year at the earliest, so I got plenty of time to figure it all out.

And on another note, the stupid battery hook in one of my K-50 bodies broke this weekend, but the camera still works. It's such a flimsy piece of plastic.
03-29-2021, 11:31 AM   #229
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
And on another note, the stupid battery hook in one of my K-50 bodies broke this weekend, but the camera still works. It's such a flimsy piece of plastic.
The hook broke on my K-30 a few years ago, and I've been depending since then on door's keeping the AA-holder in place.
Since I've been using mostly my KP for the past few years, so this isn't a 'crisis' in any case - but I have been very careful with the KP.

03-29-2021, 01:16 PM   #230
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
US $1850-2000 which is CAD $2330-2520. No thanks, I don't think I'll buy it for the moment... I was eager to see this camera released but not at that price, especially when there is the D500 with 153 focus points (99 cross focus points) for CAD $2000. I would say yes for a price between CAD $1600-1800.
Maybe I'll change my mind but not until I see how it performs, especially the tracking for wildlife and sports.
I would wait and compare the image quality of the D500 and the K-3III. Might be surprising results. But, sure, it is quite some money...
03-29-2021, 01:30 PM - 3 Likes   #231
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
I would wait and compare the image quality of the D500 and the K-3III. Might be surprising results. But, sure, it is quite some money...
More surprising than comparing the K-3iii with the K-1ii?
The KP is already slightly better than the D500...
03-29-2021, 04:41 PM   #232
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know the new K3 III is supposed to be a wildlife/sports oriented camera for "in the moment" photographs, but wondering if it will nonetheless include any Pixel Shift enhancements? It seems like it has something similar to the "handheld" pixel shift resolution in the K1 II, but wondering if there will be any improvements to that.

03-29-2021, 04:44 PM   #233
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GregL564 Quote
I know the new K3 III is supposed to be a wildlife/sports oriented camera for "in the moment" photographs, but wondering if it will nonetheless include any Pixel Shift enhancements? It seems like it has something similar to the "handheld" pixel shift resolution in the K1 II, but wondering if there will be any improvements to that.
They’ve said it includes Pixel Shift but not handheld Pixel Shift. Not clear if there’s much new on that front.
03-29-2021, 05:17 PM - 3 Likes   #234
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MMVIII Quote
Since I could have purchased the D500 at any time I wished before now why would I wait to compare it with the K3III? For that matter why would you wait to compare unless you had already decided to buy one or the other?

Personally, Canon and Nikon cameras do not interest me.
03-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #235
Pentaxian

D500 is very chunky and in this respect only, the difference is clear.
But of course, no click-and-bait journalist willl ever mention it.
03-29-2021, 05:39 PM - 6 Likes   #236
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
Personally, Canon and Nikon cameras do not interest me.
THIS! I don't look over the neighbours' fence to see how green their grass is; I tend my own garden.
03-29-2021, 05:40 PM   #237
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I always assumed it was fairly compact since it was an APS-C, I'd never been inclined to actually look.
03-29-2021, 05:46 PM   #238
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I always assumed it was fairly compact since it was an APS-C, I'd never been inclined to actually look.
I've read a number of reviews of the D500 over the years - DPR, Imaging-Resource, etc. - and they all mention that the D500 is large and heavy for an APS-C DSLR. It's actually about the same size and 20g heavier than the FF D780 (and 80g heavier than the K-3 II).
03-29-2021, 06:01 PM   #239
Forum Member

Here it is next to a K-3 II:
Compare camera dimensions side by side

The D500 is even larger than the K-1, though a bit lighter:
03-29-2021, 06:58 PM   #240

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GregL65 Quote
Here it is next to a K-3 II:

The D500 is even larger than the K-1, though a bit lighter:
Very interesting site to compare cameras side-by-side.