Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 393 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 05:27 AM   #346
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Many years ago I went to a baseball game at Candlestick Park. Maybe it just seemed to last all day
Sometimes baseball games last quite a long time especially Pro or College games but youth baseball games usually do not.

04-01-2021, 06:08 AM - 2 Likes   #347
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Was this the thread where people were comparing the K-33 with the X-T4? I think it is, so I'm going to ask this here:

In preparation for placing a pre-order, today I brought a box of used cameras and lenses to my local camera store for trade-in value (they take a few days to quote prices).
Anyway, while I was at the shop, I asked to see an X-T4 (they didn't have a D500 on display).

Sure, it's an impressive camera. I like the tactile knobs and the focus was fast.
BUT - the EVF was awful.
Using the camera at eye-level was terrible, especially when panning/tracking.
The EVF seems to jitter along. There isn't a bad delay on the back LCD, but the EVF was nothing I would want to use.
My question is: was I doing something wrong? In the settings maybe? Is the EVF supposed to be more fluid?

---------- Post added 03-31-21 at 10:49 AM ----------

'cause if that's all you get with a top-of-the-line APS-C mirrorless then it's clear OVF is still miles better, imo
Sounds to me like you were doing something wrong. My older and lower-level X-T20 doesn't do that and I never use the boost mode as it saps the battery more. I've never noticed any significant lag in the EVF and can successfully shoot my daughter without missed shots because I pressed the shutter button too late. What the X-T20 does do is slow the refresh rate a bit after a little time, presumably to save battery power. A half-press on the shutter button, in addition to activating the AF, takes it back to the normal refresh rate again.

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
It's there apparently even if you didn't notice.

"In an interview with DPReview (2019), Nikon execs share their thoughts about the company’s Z 6 and Z 7 cameras and about the state of the mirrorless nation.

As far as I know Nikon is the first company clearly and directly addressing the fact that EVFs (Electronic View Finder) still suck compared to an optical viewfinder.

From the interview (emphasis mine):

Question: How do you think the market for full frame mirrorless will evolve?

Answer: In terms of hardware, it is likely that mirrorless will catch up with DSLR. But one thing that is a challenge is the time lag of electronic viewfinders. Even though we have a great mirrorless [solution], we cannot beat the optical viewfinder.

For really high-level professional photographers at sports events and so on, I believe that the DSLR will survive."
A few months back there was an interview on DPR about AP switching to Sony mirrorless gear, so they seem to be confident that they won't miss any shots due to the lag in EVFs.

---------- Post added 01-04-21 at 03:12 PM ----------

Granted I only had a short time with the X-T4, but it left a real bad taste in my mouth.
Even if the 100 fps boost was more fluid, I doubt it would be OVF satisfying (especially knowing it's killin' my battery quicker).
To know that the X-T4 is being compared feature-wise to the K-3.... I would strongly urge you to get the camera in your hands and to your eye before purchasing one.

and to think that not only is my APS-C system is going to have a FF field of view OVF ... but also 10% more brighter!

OVF is just an obvious choice if you're at all interested in having a pleasurable time being a photographer, imo
I would have to say I get just as much pleasure from using my Fujifilm mirrorless gear as I do from using my Pentax film and DSLR gear, so this just goes back to the personal preference of OVF/EVF.

As for battery power, the X-T20 is rated for far fewer shots than my K-3 and yet the battery lasts longer. Why? Because the Fujifilm gear much more often gets white balance, exposure and AF spot-on, so I need fewer shots and do less in-camera PP to get the images I want. That's an important consideration when looking at battery statistics, but people seem to completely ignore it. It sounds like the new K-3 III will close that gap somewhat but only time will tell how much.
04-01-2021, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #348
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
A few months back there was an interview on DPR about AP switching to Sony mirrorless gear, so they seem to be confident that they won't miss any shots due to the lag in EVFs.[COLOR="Silver"]
And in 2013 the Chicago Sun-Times fired all 28 staff photographers and trained its reporters to use their iPhones...
04-01-2021, 06:45 AM   #349
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And in 2013 the Chicago Sun-Times fired all 28 staff photographers and trained its reporters to use their iPhones...
I'm surprised they needed any "training" for something that is basically point-and-shoot.

04-01-2021, 08:31 AM   #350
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Sometimes baseball games last quite a long time especially Pro or College games but youth baseball games usually do not.
Even professional games are usually over in two hours or so - they just seem long sometimes.
My birdwatching walks with my wife often last that long or longer.
04-01-2021, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #351
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Even professional games are usually over in two hours or so - they just seem long sometimes.
My birdwatching walks with my wife often last that long or longer.
The most exciting part of the game I saw was when the large screen showed the news that Ben Johnson had been disqualified from the Olympic 100m

04-01-2021, 12:06 PM - 1 Like   #352
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The K-3iii was designed as as an “event camera” for things that do require quick focusing.
That's exactly why I already preordered it
And as they say in my country - desire has no price. so now I don't wait the KIII 3 to be released but to be delivered
p.s.
Maybe there is an english idiom - and if that's so i'll be glad to learn it.

04-01-2021, 12:08 PM - 2 Likes   #353
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Yaki Quote
Maybe there is an english idiom - and if that's so i'll be glad to learn it.
Nah! - We always check the price
04-02-2021, 06:43 AM - 2 Likes   #354
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Funny how no-one complains about lag on an iPhone camera which is doing exactly the same thing as a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera. But then if it's an iPhone complaining that it's anything less than perfect is simply not allowed.
04-02-2021, 07:31 AM   #355
Pentaxian

Funny how no-one complains about lag on an iPhone camera which is doing exactly the same thing as a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera. But then if it's an iPhone complaining that it's anything less than perfect is simply not allowed.
From what I have seen 'Press Journalists' capture a scene - not waiting for the perfect moment - so "lag" isn't relevant to most of them.
04-02-2021, 07:43 AM   #356
Pentaxian

As for battery power, the X-T20 is rated for far fewer shots than my K-3 and yet the battery lasts longer. Why? Because the Fujifilm gear much more often gets white balance, exposure and AF spot-on, so I need fewer shots and do less in-camera PP to get the images I want. That's an important consideration when looking at battery statistics, but people seem to completely ignore it. It sounds like the new K-3 III will close that gap somewhat but only time will tell how much.
That's an interesting, and unbiased, observation. We will have to wait and see. AF seems to be covered, but white balance I don't know, haven't heard much about it.
04-02-2021, 07:56 AM   #357
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
*Nevermind that basically everyone and their mother applies NR at low ISO now.
I know of the Canon R5.

Which other camera model applies NR at low ISO?
04-02-2021, 08:03 AM - 1 Like   #358
Pentaxian

BUT - the EVF was awful.
My experience (with other Fuji and Panasonic EVFs) as well.

For some reason (...) one does not read about this in "reviews".
04-02-2021, 08:17 AM   #359
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
For those interested in the sports/action angle (those are two things I shoot a lot of) - this is from the review by the Dutch Pentax Ambassador. There were only five K3 IIIs in Europe, and he had one of them. He also did an accompanying Youtube video:
"Was I in for a surprise. Image, after image, after image, was sharp in these sequences. I didn’t do the math, but with my settings I estimate that 90 to 95 percent of the images had perfect focus placement. Both a slower moving mountain biker and a fast-moving kite-surfer were tracked with equally successful focus accuracy.

The autofocus system has seen such a major upgrade that I’ve got no doubts in placing it at a similar level to top-end professional cameras from other brands. Not only the accuracy and responsiveness, but it also includes the greatly improved continuous tracking ability."
That is what I was looking for: a "user" review of the K3III AF in action (would be nice to have pictures too).
Now, let's see what's in store for high ISO usage when birding in low light conditions as it relates to shutter speed used and noise.
Thanks for sharing!
04-02-2021, 09:48 AM - 1 Like   #360
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I know of the Canon R5.

Which other camera model applies NR at low ISO?
Restricted only to low ISO? The Canon R5, the Canon R6, and the newest Pentax, the K3III, are the only three I'm factually aware of as of today. Not bad company to keep. My guess is it will become relatively common.

As for "baking" RAW files that's already common.Some "bake in" high ISO NR, some "bake-in" lens profiles. Some "bake-in" profile adjustments for ISO's above 1600. Baked RAW'S appear to the rule rather than the exception.