Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 393 Likes Search this Thread
04-02-2021, 09:54 AM   #361
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Where all the cool kids are, Larry, correct!

Here's his video, everyone:

https://youtu.be/hH3tm8enm7c
Great thanks to you for this video, clackers!

All is there "for me":
Shooting action at high ISO, snappy AF, great DR, tracking AF ...
I must say that I am already impressed.

04-02-2021, 10:04 AM - 3 Likes   #362
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
As for "baking" RAW files that's already common.Some "bake in" high ISO NR, some "bake-in" lens profiles. Some "bake-in" profile adjustments for ISO's above 1600. Baked RAW'S appear to the rule rather than the exception.
People keep using the term "baked in" under the impression that the "raw" file contains exactly what the sensor output.
Even the sensor itself does not necessarily report exactly what it "saw" - we generally have no assurance that Sony does no manipulation before reporting.
The only thing 'baked in" means today is that the data is not reversible - and I'm not sure why anyone would make the image worse - it is sort of like wanting to unfocus an image after AF has 'done its thing'.
04-02-2021, 10:13 AM - 7 Likes   #363

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
That is what I was looking for: a "user" review of the K3III AF in action (would be nice to have pictures too).
Now, let's see what's in store for high ISO usage when birding in low light conditions as it relates to shutter speed used and noise.
Thanks for sharing!
Kerrick James posted a hands on review as well (on YouTube), in which he looked at that and stated his rough comparison is that the ISO 12800 on the K-3 III was roughly equivalent to to ISO 3200 on the K-1 II. An approximate 2 stop increase...over a FF!

The thing that many people dont get about a $2k price tag, is that this camera has updated every aspect of the K-3 II by a large margin...more than just the usual small generational increments. There are also many aspects of this camera that CANT be measured by numbers on a spec sheet. To me, it almost looks as if Ricoh said 'Hey...lets take the K-1 II, update EVERYTHING in it, and put an APSC sensor in it'. When virtually every aspect of the new K-3 III is the best of that feature in any current Pentax body, of course its going to cost more than $999.

While I do wish that a few things could have been included on this body, Im excited for it. Having invested quite a bit into DA* lenses, it makes far more sense for me to drop $2k on this body and make full use of its features, vs $2k on a FF and be forced to use it in crop mode. Frankly...every Pentaxian should be excited for this body! If its not a body for you...fine, but these technology advances will find their way into a future K-1 III and very likely a future K-70/KP replacement.
04-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #364
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxScott Quote
Frankly...every Pentaxian should be excited for this body! If its not a body for you...fine, but these technology advances will find their way into a future K-1 III and very likely a future K-70/KP replacement.
When I purchased my KP on Black Friday 2018, I expected it would be my last camera, but I told my wife an hour ago that there is enough technology advance in the K-3iii that I may want to purchase a $1000 K-90 in a few years, assuming that they are incorporated in it and it reaches that level by then.

added: and this assumes the viewfinder and focusing from the K-3iii - nothing about the rear LCD.
Most likely the K-90 would keep the articulating LCD, but I would still have the KP and its flippy LCD.

Last edited by reh321; 04-02-2021 at 10:27 AM.
04-02-2021, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #365
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote

It's human beings on the internet. Someone would complain if you were handing them a bucket full of cash, a Ferrari, and 28-year-old Jennifer Aniston in a plaid miniskirt.

Pentax doesn't have a monopoly on complaints.
That would depend on the plaid.
Edit: I take that back. It turns out I'm not the plaid snob that I thought I was.

---------- Post added Apr 2nd, 2021 at 11:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Was this the thread where people were comparing the K-33 with the X-T4? I think it is, so I'm going to ask this here:

In preparation for placing a pre-order, today I brought a box of used cameras and lenses to my local camera store for trade-in value (they take a few days to quote prices).
Anyway, while I was at the shop, I asked to see an X-T4 (they didn't have a D500 on display).

Sure, it's an impressive camera. I like the tactile knobs and the focus was fast.
BUT - the EVF was awful.
Using the camera at eye-level was terrible, especially when panning/tracking.
The EVF seems to jitter along. There isn't a bad delay on the back LCD, but the EVF was nothing I would want to use.
My question is: was I doing something wrong? In the settings maybe? Is the EVF supposed to be more fluid?

---------- Post added 03-31-21 at 10:49 AM ----------

'cause if that's all you get with a top-of-the-line APS-C mirrorless then it's clear OVF is still miles better, imo
Set the camera to performance mode and the EVF speeds up from 60kz to 100hz refresh rate. It also uses the battery twice as fast.
I'm OK with the Fuji in performance mode, but not so much otherwise. I like the ergonomics of my XT-1, but the viewfinder is a challenge for me.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 04-02-2021 at 10:58 AM.
04-02-2021, 11:21 AM   #366
Pentaxian

The Canon R5, the Canon R6, and the newest Pentax, the K3III,
Thanks for naming the R6, I didn't know about this one.

Baked RAW'S appear to the rule rather than the exception.
Which does not make the practice one bit better.

One can just hope that DPReview keeps in mind how commonplace the practice has become when reviewing the K-3 III instead of throwing another unwarranted fit.
04-02-2021, 11:23 AM   #367
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Which does not make the practice one bit better.

One can just hope that DPReview keeps in mind how commonplace the practice has become when reviewing the K-3 III instead of throwing another unwarranted fit.
Yeah, not holding my breath on that one.

04-02-2021, 11:27 AM - 2 Likes   #368
Pentaxian

The thing with Pentax and this new camera is easily overlooked if one stares purely charts. If you don’t appreciate OVF and mirror and prefer advantages over EVF, then it is hard to say more. Even if this would be very good camera, which it apparently is. (Fun fact, Even many MILC cameras drop performance when you use AF.c and burst shooting in many situations. So 30 FPS might be only 8.)
Even if EVF would have zero lag/jittery, which is almost impossible with tech now. It is still a screen.

This is the thing why Pentax is here. Many prefer to not to look at screen when they go out and about. If camera will perform close to what that magic screen will offer, there will be people who will choose that.

That is it my friends, this is why we have this camera at here.
04-02-2021, 11:32 AM   #369
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Why couldn't they call it Pentax K-5 III ?
04-02-2021, 11:33 AM   #370
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Even the sensor itself does not necessarily report exactly what it "saw" - we generally have no assurance that Sony does no manipulation before reporting.
There is nothing that can be done about any processing the Sony may perform already (having said that, there is absolutely no evidence supporting the idea that Sony sensors do anything to artificially improve perceived IQ; they employ hardware-level noise reduction but this is completely distinct from post facto denoising.). Pentax does not have the means to develop their own sensors so any discussion about what the Sony sensors already do is moot (and again, any suggestion that they do anything that would affect data integrity is baseless speculation.)

In contrast, there is a choice of what is done with the Sony data before it is written to a RAW file.

Obviously, Pentax would not purposefully degrade the image quality but there are judgements to be made how invasive denoising should be, because some people may would like to apply different judgements. Pentax themselves say:
"We believe that noise contains some photographic data that is better left untouched. ... In other words, excessive noise processing may sometimes eliminate some data that is essential to photography."
So Pentax recognise that too much denoising can be harmful. What is too much and what isn't depends on the user and the application. Hence, it would be best if the choice were available to the user, including accepting the choices Pentax propose.

Last edited by Class A; 04-02-2021 at 11:42 AM.
04-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #371
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Set the camera to performance mode and the EVF speeds up from 60kz to 100hz refresh rate.
I used the Panasonic S1R EVF in 120Hz mode. Still awful.
04-02-2021, 11:37 AM   #372
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
Funny how no-one complains about lag on an iPhone camera which is doing exactly the same thing as a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera. But then if it's an iPhone complaining that it's anything less than perfect is simply not allowed.
I phones don't use an EVF as far as I recall. The complaint is for the EVF refresh rate.
04-02-2021, 11:41 AM   #373
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
If you don’t appreciate OVF and mirror and prefer advantages over EVF, then it is hard to say more.
There is still the on-demand Bayer-AA filter, astrotracer option, great ergonomics, weather-sealing, unique shooting modes, the green button, etc., so there are a few more reasons why someone might fancy a Pentax DSLR, but in general, yes, anyone able to tolerate an EFV can find a lot of things to like elsewhere as well (particular as far as video is concerned) .
04-02-2021, 11:54 AM   #374
Pentaxian

There is nothing that can be done about any processing the Sony may perform already (having said that, there is absolutely no evidence supporting the idea that Sony sensors do anything to artificially improve perceived IQ; they employ hardware-level noise reduction but this is completely distinct from post facto denoising.).
What is the real difference between “post facto denoising” and what Pentax does? Denoising is noise reduction - removing what was added to the data - no matter when it occurs.

The second point is there is too much focusing on noise reduction. I know from experience with my KP that Pentax’s processing involves improving DR and in color fidelity as well.
04-02-2021, 12:03 PM - 2 Likes   #375
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I know of the Canon R5.

Which other camera model applies NR at low ISO?
I was thinking about the Panasonics, but apparently only the S1R does that.
For some reason I got caught up with the NR, I mostly meant that everyone applies raw corrections (not necessarily NR)

Doesn't make Pentax better, but them being the only ones dinged for it is... eh.