Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 189 Likes Search this Thread
03-31-2021, 09:49 AM   #181
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Umm, I think you missed the part where I said I shot with the D500 (for a good 6 months along with a Sigma 500mm f/4 sport and converters/150-600mm) and currently also use the 7D MKII with a Sigma 150-600mm sport. I am under no illusion that Pentax need to up their game and have complained many times about their AF system and long lens selection but at the end of the day people will choose their system based on what they are comfortable with.

---------- Post added 03-31-2021 at 05:15 PM ----------

VR in long lenses apparently works better than in body SR, it also helps with framing and tracking due to the VF not jumping around so much.
As I've not ever used a stabilized lens on a Nikon (never really interested in using a Nikon for that matter, other than a few minutes with a friend's Z7), how are they rated on SR? Are they all the same, or different lenses in the same range may have different levels of SR, or....?

03-31-2021, 10:05 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
As I've not ever used a stabilized lens on a Nikon (never really interested in using a Nikon for that matter, other than a few minutes with a friend's Z7), how are they rated on SR? Are they all the same, or different lenses in the same range may have different levels of SR, or....?

Honestly ... I have no idea

Did you never try one of the Sigma OS lenses on Pentax?
03-31-2021, 10:15 AM   #183
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I don't know enough to dispute or confirm this statement, so can you tell me why it is so, especially since we do not yet have comprehensive tests or comparisons of the K3-iii?
Somehow you managed to quote the wrong person. The post you quoted is this one
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/16-pentax-news-rumors/422121-nokishita-k-3iii-released-april-23-a-post5242198.html

03-31-2021, 10:36 AM   #184
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Honestly ... I have no idea

Did you never try one of the Sigma OS lenses on Pentax?
I probably have one or perhaps two, but never tried turning off the Pentax SR and using the Sigma in-lens instead. Will it work that way?

EDIT: Well that wasn't easy to find, but it looks like Nilkkor offers either 3 or 4 stops of in-lens stabilization depending on which generation telephoto VR lens it is.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-31-2021 at 10:44 AM.
03-31-2021, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #185
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Sorry, I’m not sure if I did actually write so, regardless. Based on what we have now. I’d actually say what D500? New pro aps -c is here.
Sorry, I don't know how the quote I used came attached to your post and name. I did not change it myself. I corrected my post to show the correct reference.
QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Somehow you managed to quote the wrong person. The post you quoted is this one
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5242198
03-31-2021, 11:19 AM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I probably have one or perhaps two, but never tried turning off the Pentax SR and using the Sigma in-lens instead. Will it work that way?
Yes, with the newer mirrorless bodies you can often have both body and lens SR on which gives up to 7 stops. With Pentax you use one or the other as I believe if you use both they fight against each other. Inbody works better than lens SR for short focal lengths but when I had the Sigma 50-500mm OS I always used the lens stabilization as it was much more stable through the viewfinder.
03-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #187
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
Sorry, I don't know how the quote I used came attached to your post and name. I did not change it myself. I corrected my post to show the correct reference.
No problem!

03-31-2021, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #188
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
The lens system can be 'frozen' for a decade and still be more robust and fresher than what Ricoh is offering in K. Some of those long lenses are only a couple years old. There is still F mount on the roadmap though.
And if it isn't 'frozen'?
Canon apparently is discontinuing EF lenses at a fast pace. Now, the Canon EF users which are seeing their system disappearing and don't want to go mirrorless - would they go Nikon F to repeat the experience?

Perhaps Pentax only has to be good enough in their weak areas, and it's excellent in their strong ones (like image quality and ergonomics).
03-31-2021, 12:47 PM - 4 Likes   #189
Pentaxian

Pentax lacks a lot of long lenses too. The K-3 III is a nice step in the right direction, but it isn't the only step they need to take if they want to capture the DSLR sport and wildlife community. Right now many are on a honeymoon phase with this new camera.
I think it's better to be a satisfied and happy Pentax owner, than to be a non-Pentax owner unhappy / unsatisfied about Pentax , especially difficult when new , state of the art , camera model just been officially released.
03-31-2021, 12:53 PM   #190
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
And if it isn't 'frozen'?
Canon apparently is discontinuing EF lenses at a fast pace. Now, the Canon EF users which are seeing their system disappearing and don't want to go mirrorless - would they go Nikon F to repeat the experience?
Canon has been producing EF mount lenses - which is like the KAF4 mount - for over thirty years now. Even the worse lenses are 'OK", and the "white" lenses are very good.
I cannot imagine users having to "repeat the process" with it. There are so many very good EF-mount lenses already, that some will undoubtedly be available on the used market for many years.
03-31-2021, 01:45 PM   #191
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Canon has been producing EF mount lenses - which is like the KAF4 mount - for over thirty years now. Even the worse lenses are 'OK", and the "white" lenses are very good.
I cannot imagine users having to "repeat the process" with it. There are so many very good EF-mount lenses already, that some will undoubtedly be available on the used market for many years.
That's it? The Canon EF users which don't want to go mirrorless would just have to rely on the used market? To rely on some aged 7DMkII, or on the 90Ds until they break?
I think at least some of them would want new equipment, after a while...
03-31-2021, 02:07 PM   #192
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
That's it? The Canon EF users which don't want to go mirrorless would just have to rely on the used market? To rely on some aged 7DMkII, or on the 90Ds until they break?
I think at least some of them would want new equipment, after a while...
The question is whether Canon can justify production which follows what some of their users want.
Incidentally, the post I replied to was about EF lenses.
03-31-2021, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #193
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
The question is whether Canon can justify production which follows what some of their users want.
Incidentally, the post I replied to was about EF lenses.
But the issue was about Nikon having an advantage if their lens line is 'frozen'. To which I'm pointing out, 'frozen' might be a favorable assumption - and the alternative might be discontinuing lenses, just like Canon seems to be doing.
Cameras... they just get obsolete faster, don't they?
03-31-2021, 02:55 PM   #194
Pentaxian

You're welcome to your opinion, I'm welcome to mine.

IQ is highly subjective. Requirement of stabilization is of less value with sports shooting, where you're usually at a very high shutter speed.

The Nikon has a much much deeper buffer and a better AF system (on paper for now). Those features may or may not be of use to you.

The lens system can be 'frozen' for a decade and still be more robust and fresher than what Ricoh is offering in K. Some of those long lenses are only a couple years old. There is still F mount on the roadmap though.

I also remember that time when a few people came over from Nikon for the K-3. Their reason wasn't because the K-3 was just that good, it was simply that Nikon was just that slow in launching the D500. I also remember most went right back to Nikon because the K-3 wasn't close to a D500 replacement.

Pentax lacks a lot of long lenses too. The K-3 III is a nice step in the right direction, but it isn't the only step they need to take if they want to capture the DSLR sport and wildlife community. Right now many are on a honeymoon phase with this new camera.
I like how everything that can be seen as a clear advantage of the K-3III is "highly subjective" or "less value" but a statement of yours like "better camera" should work as a fact. You may shift your goalpoasts if you wish, I may just shake my head and accept that further exchange is useless. bye
03-31-2021, 03:15 PM - 10 Likes   #195
Loyal Site Supporter

Moderator note:
Perhaps allowing Pentax fans a thread or two for proclaiming their interest in a new Pentax camera might be permitted without two or three people repeatedly and repetively raining on their parade saying "look at Nikon instead". Everyone will be spending their own money and not someone else's.

Last edited by gatorguy; 03-31-2021 at 03:26 PM.