Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 02:41 AM   #211
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When it will come to files from this k-3III(26 MP), I'll be intersted to see how they do compare to 24 MP FF. Handling and enjoyment of photography is one thing. Other thing is the actual footage.

as many has stated about 24 MP on FF it is great and good enough for printing, up till some point. I expect that this K-3III will reach that. AND we will see about those colours too.

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-01-2021 at 03:38 AM. Reason: references deleted post
04-01-2021, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #212
bxf
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parry Quote
Anyway,,just for market comparison with the One Thousand Eight Hundred and Ninety Nine Pounds Sterling price of this crop format "update". It's nonsense. Just nonsense. I mean, get real time.
Firstly, it is wrong to call a brand new camera, with very different makeup from previous models, only an "update" just because it follows a particular naming format. Then, you really need to stop thinking that the only factor determining the value of a camera is the sensor size.
04-01-2021, 03:35 AM - 3 Likes   #213
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What's the point of comparing the price of the K-3 III with Sony or any other mirrorless cameras? They don't have a pentaprism, so if one wants a DSLR, one doesn't buy Sony, Panasonic, Olympus or Fuji.
04-01-2021, 03:42 AM - 4 Likes   #214
Loyal Site Supporter

2nd moderator note:
Please try to stay on the topic of the new K3III becoming available within days. We have subforums and discussion threads for other brands and their new camera releases.

04-01-2021, 03:47 AM   #215
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cynog Ap Brychan Quote
What's the point of comparing the price of the K-3 III with Sony or any other mirrorless cameras? They don't have a pentaprism, so if one wants a DSLR, one doesn't buy Sony, Panasonic, Olympus or Fuji.
Yes - I think all price comparisons are unhelpful - possibly more than unhelpful, the less friendly narrative on elsewhere is settling on a focus on the price - it is what it is and it costs what it costs - and you can take it or leave it - by all means do the research - we all have access to the internet - but the balance of what you want and what you're prepared to pay is an individual decision.
04-01-2021, 08:00 AM - 2 Likes   #216
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
Camera Canada. They have no info on the K-3 III as of yet so my pre-order shows as $0.
Once they get word from Ricoh Imaging Canada they'll reach out to me with the actual price and we'll go from there.
The Pre-Order is more like a placeholder for now until info trickles down to the store and we can move forward.
My pusher does the same thing for me. When I get word of some new shiny thing, I give them a call and have them pre order it for me. That puts me at, or at least near, the top of the list for buyers, and sometimes, I suspect, ensures that some product get's shipped to Canada.
I suspect that there are less than a dozen D FA* 85/1.4 lenses in use in the country, for example.
Anyway, when they get a price, I get called to confirm if I want to place an order, and when the item is available, I get one shipped to me.
04-01-2021, 08:05 AM   #217
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have time to sort it out with extremely limited customer service in SE Asia and little more in the UK.

Not impressed. Not impressed at all. I feel we're being offered bits out of the parts bin at a price that's frankly insulting.
Your comments might be insulting, but the price should be viewed for what a purchaser will gain.
This is a completely new design - no connection to previous products or parts from previous products.

04-01-2021, 08:09 AM - 3 Likes   #218
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 8BitTim Quote
I know. But as someone from a third party stance that doesn't hate pentax, it wouldn't be a smart move to make it so expensive. There is no good gain for pentax if the camera is as expensive as a full frame body and everyone who hates pentax will immediately point that out. Which will drive away potential sales. If the af is amazing great but at a price of 2000$, I can get several cheaper alternatives that arguably will do just as well in the stills department (maybe not as comfortable of a body) and much better in the video department.This is all conjecture until the price is finally revealed (hopefully tomorrow). But there is definitely good reason to not want it to be pricey. I don't want pentax to fail, I personally want them to succeed.

Edit* just wanted to make an additional note, it's important that pentax bring in new customers, not just keep some and lose a few more to other systems.
The camera will be priced to allow them to make money on it in a reasonable amount of time given projected sales.
If they drop the price 10%, they have to sell 40% more (that's economics 101) to make the same level of profit. Pentax isn't going to sell 40% more K3III bodies by pricing it at US$1800 rather than US$2000.00, no matter how wishfully people think it will happen.

They might chase away a few sales, Apparently there are people already crabbing about the fact that they will have to spend about 1.6% extra for an external battery charger.

Frankly, price whingers are not desirable customers. They are often more trouble than they are worth. Let those people be a pox on Fuji or Nikon or whomever. Pentax is better off without them.

---------- Post added Apr 1st, 2021 at 09:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
What people often don't get is that there's a strong link between a product's price and the product itself. Or, I should say, a product is designed with a target price.
Yes, there's some flexibility; but performance features in particular are expensive. So you should also say exactly which of the expensive K-3iii features did you want removed - to allow for the lower price.
And then you would get the hyenas howling that this or that feature was left off and how much could it really have cost to include it?
So then, add up the cost of the features they think should have been included, and we are right back where we started.

---------- Post added Apr 1st, 2021 at 09:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 8BitTim Quote
I had to take a moment to chuckle. Let me rephrase this paragraph of yours. Being completely objective. What does this camera have that allows for such a potentially higher price? Spec wise, aside from the fact that this is an ovf, it's very similar to the fujifilm x-t4. Comparing the two though, one would see that the fujifilm x-t4 has a huge advantage in video and a slightly faster fps. Better Ibis too. We don't know how the pentax will perform in af or iso. I'd argue the body of the pentax will most likely be better. So with the exception of the body ergonomics, why do you personally feel that it would warrant such a higher price tag than something like 1700$? Again being completely objective, none of this is meant to be taken offensively.
What does Leica have that allows their M10 camera to be priced four times more what the K3III will be priced at? Is it the lack of a TTL viewfinder that makes it worth that much? I guess it is a full frame 24MP rather than an APS-C 24MP, but really, 4 times the money?
Please justify that, and then you might be on to why the Pentax is worth a couple of hundred more than a Fuji that is already a year out of the gate.

---------- Post added Apr 1st, 2021 at 09:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
Are you completely objective, though? Particularly since you didn't take that moment to think if maybe I had a point?

The X-T4 doesn't have a newly developed, dedicated AF system; nor the newly developed mirror mechanism; nor the new viewfinder with the high refraction glass pentaprism. And instead of being a completely new camera, it is an upgraded X-T3.

As for ISO...
It's hard to be completely objective when you are trying to justify a confirmation bias rather than looking at the situation on the ground.
04-01-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #219
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since the camera is already available for pre orders, I think this thread is no longer actual
04-01-2021, 08:58 AM   #220
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
What does Leica have that allows their M10 camera to be priced four times more what the K3III will be priced at?
I'm not sure it's completely valid to bring Leica into the argument. In some ways, Leicas are like Rolex watches, no better than cheaper brands like Omega or Breitling, but for whatever reason, they are highly desirable so they command higher prices. Companies charge what the market will bear. If they price something too high out of the gate, sales suffer and usually the price comes down. Pentax has presumably done its sums and set the price to what they think it should be to cover R&D and make a profit. As a company they are entitled to do that. As consumers, we are entitled to decide to buy the camera or not buy it, as we determine our own marginal utility. The price is higher than I thought it might be, but it is what it is. I decided to buy. It's my money, after all.
04-01-2021, 09:19 AM - 4 Likes   #221
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K-3 is 6 years old (Got it 1 month before the K-3 II was released), I've been waiting for the K-3 III for at least 3 years...I really don't care what the price is...
04-01-2021, 09:34 AM - 1 Like   #222
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Incidentally, my K-3 died after less than a year. So....
You bought it new??? Ever heard of a warranty?? If you bought it used then "you pays your money and you takes your chances".
04-01-2021, 02:48 PM - 4 Likes   #223
Veteran Member

From my perspective..... price/quality/feature wise I think Pentax have got their positioning right with this camera.

Some of the decisions they had to make, like pricing, will be painful to some for sure.... but far less so then if they just closed shop.

As far as a Lieca/Rolex comparison goes.... well maybe Pentax/Omega works for me.

For those of us that really value a well made and engineered DSLR.... this is the price in 2021.... and you know you will be buying an enduring camera.

Anyway.... I have one on the way (pre order) .... and I'm cheap....

Last edited by noelpolar; 04-02-2021 at 05:03 PM.
04-01-2021, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #224
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
Some of the decisions they had to make, like pricing, will be painful to some for sure....
IMHO it's much more important to have such a camera on the market, than to have a cheaper cameras on the market.
Cheaper cameras are available, and others will be made. But without a flagship to solve the performance issues...
04-01-2021, 03:07 PM   #225
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
From my perspective..... price/quality/feature wise I think Pentax have got their positioning right with this camera.

Some of the decisions they had to make, like pricing, will be painful to some for sure.... but far less so for if they just closed shop.

As far as a Lieca/Rolex comparison goes.... well maybe Pentax/Omega works for me.

For those of us that really value a well made and engineered DSLR.... this is the price in 2021.... and you know you will be buying an enduring camera.

Anyway.... I have one on the way (pre order) .... and I'm cheap....
The advantage with this pricing is that at any moment at which it will be visible at 1.799,-, and this is a range where I see it with any instant rebates of the manufacturer or other occasions used by dealers probably for Christmas etc..., it will appear as an irresistibly good deal. I definitely am afraid of that, still too much for an impulse buy, but I would not exclude anything...