Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #1

Consumer Reports LIKED the K200D!

Let me say, first off, I believe Consumer Reports camera testing to be a big pile of horse crap. They rated the K100D and the K10D at the very bottom of the charts. Which, we all know, is baloney.

Then, all of a sudden, they had a change of heart and they rated the K200D as the highest possible starter DSLR. Above Canon xsi, Nikon D40, (not sure about D60), Sony, Olympus, Panasonic, etc. Pentax at the top! Yay!

Do they note the gigantic assortment of lenses compatible with Pentax? Nope.
Do they note that there are considerably more third-party accessories compatible with Canon/Nikon? Nope.

Something must have clicked for them. Because they hated the K100D/K10D.

Anybody else read Consumer Reports?

11-20-2008, 05:43 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Consumer's Reports has one failing: they only test one example of a product. If they happen to get a lemon, it gets panned, if the happen to get an exceptional one, it gets praised.

Every reputable manufacturer strives for 100% quality, but variations exist. Add to this the people doing the testing may or may not be knowledgeable at their chosen task (hand a DSLR to someone who only has experience with disposal cameras and you'll understand what I'm saying) and sometimes their results are very misleading. For example, as you pointed out, a knowledgeable person would know about Pentax's lens legacy and the plethora of gadgets available for Nikon and Canon.

Because of this, I may use CR as a starting point, but do much more reseach on line.
11-21-2008, 09:34 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Consumer's Reports has one failing: they only test one example of a product. If they happen to get a lemon, it gets panned, if the happen to get an exceptional one, it gets praised...
Don't the manufacturers provide the samples to test? You'd think they would supply CR with perfect copies.
11-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by superfuzzy Quote
Don't the manufacturers provide the samples to test? You'd think they would supply CR with perfect copies.
Nope...that would be Pop Photo and DP Review.

CU buys their cameras from the local Walmart (or wherever) using real money. Cameras are tested with the "usual" consumer-level kit lens. Image quality is based on the in-camera JPEG with default settings.

The reason why they panned the K100D and K10D was because of poor image quality that was not out-weighed by feature set. Ditto for the K20D. The K200D came out on top because it simply blows away the competition in its price range on all counts.

Now, before I am flamed for diss'ing the Pentax image quality, I wanted to remind the gentle reader that this relates to JPEG images at default settings, not RAW. For RAW, the images are best in class. The JPEGs are known to be visibly softer at the default camera settings then those from the competition.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-21-2008 at 11:46 AM.
11-29-2008, 06:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The reason why they panned the K100D and K10D was because of poor image quality that was not out-weighed by feature set. Ditto for the K20D. The K200D came out on top because it simply blows away the competition in its price range on all counts.

Now, before I am flamed for diss'ing the Pentax image quality, I wanted to remind the gentle reader that this relates to JPEG images at default settings, not RAW. For RAW, the images are best in class. The JPEGs are known to be visibly softer at the default camera settings then those from the competition.
So in other words they test SLRs as if they were point and shoot compacts. While this is indeed how a number of people (who will never leave the auto mode and will never use anything but the kit lenses) use their cameras, it still doesn't make much sense for this type of camera.
11-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
So in other words they test SLRs as if they were point and shoot compacts. While this is indeed how a number of people (who will never leave the auto mode and will never use anything but the kit lenses) use their cameras, it still doesn't make much sense for this type of camera.
My sister-in-law got a D40 because she thought she needed one. She uses the thing like she's taking target practice - line her daughter up dead middle, leave it in Auto mode and press the shutter. That's all she cares about learning with the camera other than a social statement of owning a nicer camera.

-Brian
11-29-2008, 11:10 AM   #7
clm

QuoteOriginally posted by Fredshome Quote
While this is indeed how a number of people (who will never leave the auto mode and will never use anything but the kit lenses) use their cameras, it still doesn't make much sense for this type of camera.
Those are the people Consumer Reports is written for.