Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 737 Likes Search this Thread
04-05-2021, 07:04 AM - 1 Like   #391
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Pay 2000 for a K3-III get great autofocus and speed

Pay 1800 for a New K1 II and get a 36 MP FF sensor, flip screen and GPS.

There are other differences but that is the real dilemma I think. I'm sure that Pentax is well aware though and has figured that into there calculations
I'm sure of it. They will solve the dilemma for some of us when the k1-iii comes around with all the expected k1 features, the expected k3-iii features and the not expected k1-iii features at a price of 2,500-3000 USD.

At least I have no dilemma. I'm saving my pennies for the k1-iii.

04-05-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #392
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ben-pentax Quote
I'm sure of it. They will solve the dilemma for some of us when the k1-iii comes around with all the expected k1 features, the expected k3-iii features and the not expected k1-iii features at a price of 2,500-3000 USD.
There is no reason to expect a K-1 III will get anywhere near "all" the features of a K-3 III.
Speed, AF coverage, buffer size, oversized viewfinder are all very unlikely.

And they will be smart enough to know that it is better to have solid differentiation between their model lines, so that prospective buyers never ever get "all" in one package (for less than 7300 EUR body only that is). That is industry standard.

The more buyers are torn between models the better they have made their job. It induces the remaining wealthy buyers to go for both.
04-05-2021, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #393
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
There is no reason to expect a K-1 III will get anywhere near "all" the features of a K-3 III.

And they will be smart enough to know that it is better to have solid differentiation between their model lines, so that prospective buyers never ever get "all" in one package (for less than 7300 EUR body only that is). That is industry standard.

The more buyers are torn between models the better they have made their job. It induces the remaining wealthy buyers to go for both.
If they don't make the oversized OVF I'm 100% out, though. You can't spend years developing new prisms and then put them only in one model, it would be the most bone-headed decision they could make. It's quite literally the only thing that could make me want to upgrade the K-1... I already know I won't be getting 12 fps and a deep buffer.

And any IQ improvement over the K-1/K-1ii will be unnoticeable in the vast majority of shooting conditions anyway - why would I buy a camera that doesn't offer a significantly better experience?
04-05-2021, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #394
Pentaxian

I really hope k-1 iii will get the oversized optical viewfinder at least. Its omission will be against the whole principles of Pentax thing.

04-05-2021, 07:22 AM   #395
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting to think if all those features will also be excluded from a replacement on the K-70.
Previously, the speed, af coverage, buffer size were all privileged to the prosumer flagships, but Pentax was known for putting their prosumer OVFs into their entry level camera, no?
I wonder if the oversized viewfinder will find it's way to the K-90 or whatever it will be named - will be awesome for new Pentax/photography adopters!
04-05-2021, 07:27 AM   #396
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That's why I wrote "the expected ...". I'm not expecting k3-iii speed or buffer for exsample, but I'm expecting better than in the K1-ii.
04-05-2021, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #397
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
Interesting to think if all those features will also be excluded from a replacement on the K-70.
Previously, the speed, af coverage, buffer size were all privileged to the prosumer flagships, but Pentax was known for putting their prosumer OVFs into their entry level camera, no?
I wonder if the oversized viewfinder will find it's way to the K-90 or whatever it will be named - will be awesome for new Pentax/photography adopters!
Probably not in the "entry level" (the K-70 is anything but, though) - it's an expensive piece and it might not allow them to sell a prospective K-90 below initial KP pricing...

They might put an AF system similar to the KP module in the K-90, though... should keep costs down while still being a nice improvement over the K-70's 11-point module. Throw in new algorithms and a touch more processing power (it's cheap now, especially if they've moved to ARM chips), throw in the 26MP sensor in and it would be a very solid refresh IMO...

---------- Post added 04-05-21 at 07:33 AM ----------

That's why I wrote "the expected ...". I'm not expecting k3-iii speed or buffer for exsample, but I'm expecting better than in the K1-ii.
Frankly I don't care if the FPS are at 5-6 and without a massive buffer, as long as its clearing speed is significantly faster. Probably the one complaint I have about the K-1 is that at times it decides to get stuck processing something for a some seconds Windows 98 style.

04-05-2021, 07:33 AM - 1 Like   #398
Pentaxian

The same technology doesn't mean the same results, right?
The K-1 viewfinder, updated with the high-refraction glass pentaprism and a higher magnification, would once again be significantly larger.
The FPS should be slower (heavier mirrors), and the larger image files means a smaller buffer.
The AF coverage would likely be smaller (unfortunately).
04-05-2021, 07:40 AM   #399
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Frankly I don't care if the FPS are at 5-6 and without a massive buffer, as long as its clearing speed is significantly faster.
The K-5 had a firmware update where:
"Hi: 7 fps up to approx. 34 frames (JPG), up to approx. 26 frames (PEF/DNG)"
But to clear the buffer still took an eon.

I was grateful for the firmware upgrade, but the buffer clearing time really almost made it a wash.
04-05-2021, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #400
Veteran Member

UHS-II should take care of the buffer clearing issue. @StephenObermeier has posted that unless you want to sit there and shoot in high speed continuous for really long periods without letting off the shutter button, you should be fine.
04-05-2021, 07:50 AM - 1 Like   #401
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Solid assessment. I would add that Pentax may be positioning themselves to give DSLR devotees a reason to switch if Canikon do completely give up on DSLR development.
Especially when you could get similar performance with better files and with that eye AF(and what Ricoh will come up with in future) your previous gen DSLR was not able to do...
04-05-2021, 07:56 AM   #402
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Serkevan Quote
Frankly I don't care if the FPS are at 5-6 and without a massive buffer, as long as its clearing speed is significantly faster.
Clearing speed can be up to 3 or 6 fps, depending on memory card slot bus speed and memory card minimum writing speed.

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
UHS-II can be up to 156 Mbyte/s or up to 312 Mbyte/s, depending on Duplex (Full or Half).
SD card - Wikipedia
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
UHS-I can transfer up to 104 Mbyte/s. So with the JPG-Files beeing 15 Mbyte and the Buffer for 37 RAWs, up to 6fps without Buffer could be possible with UHS-I.
Since Slot 1 ist UHS-II, not much to worry about for RAW
This is the Pentax K-3 Mark III - PentaxForums.com
04-05-2021, 07:57 AM   #403
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
Especially when you could get similar performance with better files and with that eye AF(and what Ricoh will come up with in future) your previous gen DSLR was not able to do...
Indeed! "Man, I really don't like EVFs, but I do like some of the AF features that [insert current brand] offers on mirrorless. Oh, wait. Pentax offers the AF features I really want through an OVF?"
04-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #404
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
UHS-II should take care of the buffer clearing issue. @StephenObermeier has posted that unless you want to sit there and shoot in high speed continuous for really long periods without letting off the shutter button, you should be fine.
Oh yeah, I have zero doubts that the K-1iii will be much more responsive than the current model. As great a camera as it is, the K-1 was built to a price point and the compromise was the electronics. I also expect the following one to not follow the price point
04-05-2021, 08:17 AM   #405
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
I would expect the K-90 to include at least the oversized viewfinder and processing from the K-3iii.
Closed Thread