Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 737 Likes Search this Thread
03-30-2021, 04:43 PM - 14 Likes   #31

Photos: Albums
So it's going to cost me $2,500 Canadian to replace my 10-year-old K-5. Sure I would have liked it for less money but the reality is that current DSLR volume (especially for Pentax) means higher prices.

Everyone compares the price to camera "X" or "Y" as if that really matters. Am I going to jump ship to another brand? No. Do I value and enjoy many of the things that make Pentax a really great camera? Yes. So here I am.

And while my K-5 has been a great workhorse, I'm really excited to see how much things have advanced. For me, this will not be an incremental improvement. Trying to save a couple of hundred dollars waiting for a price drop sometime in the future won't really matter in a year or five years, so I'm really going to enjoy this camera as soon as I can get my hands on one.

For reference, I bought a new 386DX computer in 1992 for $2,200 and it was pretty much obsolete 18 months later. I suspect this camera will be a much better purchase.

03-30-2021, 04:50 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
So it's going to cost me $2,500 Canadian to replace my 10-year-old K-5. Sure I would have liked it for less money but the reality is that current DSLR volume (especially for Pentax) means higher prices.

Everyone compares the price to camera "X" or "Y" as if that really matters. Am I going to jump ship to another brand? No. Do I value and enjoy many of the things that make Pentax a really great camera? Yes. So here I am.

And while my K-5 has been a great workhorse, I'm really excited to see how much things have advanced. For me, this will not be an incremental improvement. Trying to save a couple of hundred dollars waiting for a price drop sometime in the future won't really matter in a year or five years, so I'm really going to enjoy this camera as soon as I can get my hands on one.

For reference, I bought a new 386DX computer in 1992 for $2,200 and it was pretty much obsolete 18 months later. I suspect this camera will be a much better purchase.
I would expect you'll be able to get another ten years out of this!
03-30-2021, 04:51 PM - 1 Like   #33
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SimplyCreativePhotography Quote
I'm not sure this is a similar scenario. PCs back then were leapfrogging performance every 6 months to a year, while DSLRs are not getting huge updates lately. Outside of Pentax catching up to speed.

But I'm sure it will be a fine purchase. Especially going from a gen1 K-5! If you get 10 years out of it, its 250 dollars per year. Not terrible for something keeping you out of trouble. hehe
03-30-2021, 04:51 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
Just preordered the black premium kit.
How? What site?

03-30-2021, 04:52 PM - 4 Likes   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
Only for the committed Pentaxian, according to DPR. It does seem difficult to compete with the Fujifilm X-T4 and Nikon D500 on specs alone.

Well, I'm interested. Waiting for the detailed reviews.
To be fair to them, they go back to when they mentioned the D850 might have been the last great DSLR... and say that it might not be so, yet.

IMO they looked fairly positive about the Pentax.
03-30-2021, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bicycle shots ?

Who's going to be the first with the obligatory 'person on a bicycle about to run over the photographer' shots ?
03-30-2021, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
I was fortunate enough to test one of the K-3 mark III's myself as well and made a first personal video impression of my time with the camera:
https://youtu.be/hH3tm8enm7c

Written review with sample images:
Pentax K-3 mark III Review ⋆ Mike Muizebelt Fotografie

Not to spill everything....but I was impressed!

Best regards,
Mike
The camera looks fantastic, absolutely.
The OVF tracking seems impressive, wow...

03-30-2021, 04:56 PM - 1 Like   #38
Closed Account

Hi folks. We have had to remove several political posts from thread. Please stop. Thanks.
03-30-2021, 05:00 PM   #39
mee
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kh1234567890 Quote
Who's going to be the first with the obligatory 'person on a bicycle about to run over the photographer' shots ?
I'm really interested in those. I suspect it will do a much better job.
03-30-2021, 05:02 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
I was fortunate enough to test one of the K-3 mark III's myself as well and made a first personal video impression of my time with the camera:
https://youtu.be/hH3tm8enm7c

Written review with sample images:
Pentax K-3 mark III Review ⋆ Mike Muizebelt Fotografie

Not to spill everything....but I was impressed!

Best regards,
Mike
Thanks for posting this review, really great to hear a review from a photographer. This was fun!
03-30-2021, 05:08 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not too bent out of shape relative to the price. Adjusted for inflation, it's less than what the D500 was. The big question...can it match D500 AF performance? If so, and assuming that Pentax has the expected bump in image quality, they may have a winner. That said, it would still be nice to have a Tamron or Sigma 200-600 option for this if they are going after the wildlife/sports market.
I won't say anything about the lack of tilt screen
03-30-2021, 05:13 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveinSLC Quote
That said, it would still be nice to have a Tamron or Sigma 200-600 option for this if they are going after the wildlife/sports market.
Could always go for a rebadged Tamron, since there’s precedent. HD coatings, no need for shake reduction in the lens, weather seals and slap a Pentax label on it.
03-30-2021, 05:47 PM   #43
Pentaxian

I know lots of people talked about the view finder but I think more people will like the joystick more. That was one thing I really hated on my Pentax bodies was the lack of one, they really do make selecting a focus point faster.

Was a little surprised that it only has 41 selectable focus points though, maybe I read that wrong correct me if I did, I thought it would've had more when I first heard it had 100 something points.

$2000 is going to be high for a bunch of people here, I know their were a few threads about the possible price when the Ricoh executive mentioned I think $2300 and most people were hoping for $1500 range.
03-30-2021, 05:53 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
I know lots of people talked about the view finder but I think more people will like the joystick more. That was one thing I really hated on my Pentax bodies was the lack of one, they really do make selecting a focus point faster.

Was a little surprised that it only has 41 selectable focus points though, maybe I read that wrong correct me if I did, I thought it would've had more when I first heard it had 100 something points.

$2000 is going to be high for a bunch of people here, I know their were a few threads about the possible price when the Ricoh executive mentioned I think $2300 and most people were hoping for $1500 range.
It is high for some of us - but not for those who really need these features - I won't be looking at it right now because my KP is currently meeting my needs.
03-30-2021, 05:58 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really appreciate the effort Pentax has put into this camera, it really looks like a nice upgrade for us Pentax users. sigh 1999 usd. lots of users here were adamant about the price and they were right, but 2500 CAD is just a bit too much for me, but I think they will sell quite a few to early adopters. I don't suspect they will drop the price on this one to quickly, doesn't seem to be what they do anymore. 1699 would of put it direct competition with X-T4 and perhaps gave them a shot at some new users. I think this will only sell within the Pentax community, but we have yet to see the IQ. If it blows all else away it could a worthy FF alternative. In any case it is a sweet camera, it sucks that in order to try one I have to buy it. Perhaps Pentax Canada can do something about that.

Correction: the X-T4 does retail for the same price, it is just discounted now.

Last edited by Belnan; 03-30-2021 at 06:15 PM.
Closed Thread