Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some countries in Europe can preorder here: RICOH European Store

03-31-2021, 04:46 AM - 1 Like   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fifescapes Quote
Crying here as no GPS.
One of the “challenges” videos makes pretty clear that the magnesium alloy body raised issues. They could barely find a place for the WiFi/Bluetooth antennas. Once they found a spot, it was so close to the battery that they had to do extensive testing to ensure there was no interference. You can get geotagging data from a phone over Bluetooth. For astrotracer, pick up the O-GPS1 and mount it on the hot shoe. Kerrick James has said in comments on Facebook that the high ISO performance of this camera is so good that he will prefer it for astrophotography even with a K-1 ii in his kit. He didn’t even dig out his O-GPS1 since he didn’t have a user’s manual for the K-3 iii, but he was very pleased with what he was able to do.
03-31-2021, 04:51 AM   #108
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by One3rdEV Quote
A brief mention of eye autofocus is mentioned in text here:

Image tracking performance The essential feature of a flagship model | Challengers | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING

"The camera also features a new RGB-Ir AE sensor with around 307,000 pixels, in comparison to the RGB sensor with around 86,000 pixels installed on previous models. Thanks to the sensor’s improved resolving power, the camera automatically selects the optimum focus point, after the AE sensor detects the subject’s face and pupils."
Thanks for the link. The section "Development of new AF module and AF sensor" confirms the assumption I had and talked about in the forum. the AF system is now on the iRGB sensor (which is a camera sensor in fact).
03-31-2021, 05:09 AM - 1 Like   #109
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bencoskater Quote
Thanks for the link. The section "Development of new AF module and AF sensor" confirms the assumption I had and talked about in the forum. the AF system is now on the iRGB sensor (which is a camera sensor in fact).
It is not. The dedicated AF module (SAFOX 13) benefits from the assistance of the RGBiR metering sensor (the latter helps in tracking by identifying colours and forms).

03-31-2021, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #110
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by 8BitTim Quote
Wait where?
The Netherlands
03-31-2021, 05:47 AM - 1 Like   #111
Veteran Member

Someone had speculatively raised the question of whether more user modes could be stored, since the GR-III has this feature. The video below isn’t terribly remarkable, but it does note that you can save 10 user modes in the menu system and then pick which five get assigned to the U1–U5 positions on the dial. I’d have to do the numbers, but the amount of customization we can do with this camera may mean that there are so many options that it would be possible for every K-3 iii to have a slightly different configuration once its owner customizes it.

03-31-2021, 05:56 AM   #112

QuoteOriginally posted by Franc Quote
The Netherlands
Ah okay. So let me rephrase my prior sentence. Seems like europe is allowing pre orders early. My guess is that due to the passover and the two major retailers in the US here taking time off for it, they probably figured it would be smarter to wait until the 6th. Grrr.... gotta wait almost another week 😅

03-31-2021, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #113
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mousehill Quote
I was fortunate enough to test one of the K-3 mark III's myself as well and made a first personal video impression of my time with the camera:
https://youtu.be/hH3tm8enm7c

Written review with sample images:
Pentax K-3 mark III Review ⋆ Mike Muizebelt Fotografie

Not to spill everything....but I was impressed!

Best regards,
Mike
Hi Mike,

Not that I needed much convincing anymore, but you made me decide to push the button. I recently had my K-3 mark II converted to Full Spectrum (lockdown fun), so I now have a gap to fill. I'm going to try to get the Silver edition premium kit. Should be the first time I get a Silver edition, but I think it could be useful in sun laden tropical places such as Africa. That's hoping we'll be able to travel again one day. And if not, climate change might catch up with us (record temperatures for March yesterday and today here in Belgium).

I hope I'll be able to add a Silver edition DA*16-50 PML soon as well. Fingers crossed...

Wim
03-31-2021, 06:31 AM   #114

Ah okay. So let me rephrase my prior sentence. Seems like europe is allowing pre orders early. My guess is that due to the passover and the two major retailers in the US here taking time off for it, they probably figured it would be smarter to wait until the 6th. Grrr.... gotta wait almost another week 😅
The Pentax South Africa forum admin have announced that K3iii is now available for pre orders and shipping end on April / the body only R39999 = $2700 ouch !!
03-31-2021, 06:39 AM   #115

QuoteOriginally posted by Wozasam Quote
The Pentax South Africa forum admin have announced that K3iii is now available for pre orders and shipping end on April / the body only R39999 = $2700 ouch !!
Yikes. Glad I'm not there. Still, a bit bummed that the rest of the world aside from the US is getting pre orders going already. Just have to be a bit more patient 😅
03-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #116

Photos: Albums
really glad Pentax have got this to market, hope it will be a huge success for them. Pentax is part of photographic history and going back to its roots AND forward to the 21st Century is quite a feat. Go Pentax !

- for me the price is too high, I nearly jumped ship to Fuji recently, but decided to stay with Pentax and get the last 2 lenses I needed (fish eye and long tele). Now I am wondering if that was a mistake
03-31-2021, 06:55 AM   #117
Veteran Member

Yikes. Glad I'm not there. Still, a bit bummed that the rest of the world aside from the US is getting pre orders going already. Just have to be a bit more patient 😅
Australia doesn't even have pricing, let alone pre-orders, so we are not alone here in the US. Is Canada the place that people are pre-ordering but without a price?
03-31-2021, 06:56 AM   #118
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtkeller Quote
Is Canada the place that people are pre-ordering but without a price?
Canadian here... I can't find a link.
I found a "let me know" newsletter to subscribe to that lets you know when preorder is available...
03-31-2021, 06:57 AM   #119
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSkink Quote
really glad Pentax have got this to market, hope it will be a huge success for them. Pentax is part of photographic history and going back to its roots AND forward to the 21st Century is quite a feat. Go Pentax !

- for me the price is too high, I nearly jumped ship to Fuji recently, but decided to stay with Pentax and get the last 2 lenses I needed (fish eye and long tele). Now I am wondering if that was a mistake
This is the early adopter tax phase. Should drop at least two hundred dollars in, say, six months. The Nikon D500 launched at US$1999 (more like US$2100 in today's money) but now is down below US$1500. Doubt the K-3 iii will drop $500, but the retail price will come down.
03-31-2021, 06:59 AM   #120
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
UHS-II can be up to 156 Mbyte/s or up to 312 Mbyte/s, depending on Duplex (Full or Half).
SD card - Wikipedia

I can confirm the low presence of the eye/pupil detection in the OPM.

Here's an article from Ricoh which especially mentions the pupil detection in PDAF:
Image tracking performance The essential feature of a flagship model | Challengers | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDFEB_ysp9Q
It looks like they finally took a massive leap forward with the AF system. They mention all X, Y, & Z axis! You can now finally see what you're actually tracking! No more brief AF point lighting! This is exciting! More than likely I'll be getting this camera by the end of the year.
Closed Thread