Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 737 Likes Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #256
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
the SDM is sluggish to say the least in comparison to PLM.
could your comment be a reflection of the amount of mass to be moved?
It has been said that the PLM can be used only when the focusing unit is of low mass.

04-01-2021, 01:25 PM   #257
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
could your comment be a reflection of the amount of mass to be moved?
Perhaps. And the SDM on this lens was released in like 2007 so design has come a long way since then.. the SDM on say the DFA* 85mm (big chunk of glass released in 2020) I'm sure is much more responsive than the SDM on my 50-135.
04-01-2021, 01:28 PM - 1 Like   #258
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
Probably because it was pretty obvious he wasn't in the least bit interested in the camera.
For sure, this video is only ironic vapourwave.
The peak of irony is when he takes a "low-light" shot in his back saying its OK, without looking at the result...
04-01-2021, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #259
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know there was a rumour about eye-af firmware being released.
There is a reference in one of the Challenger stories:

"The camera also features a new RGB-Ir AE sensor with around 307,000 pixels, in comparison to the RGB sensor with around 86,000 pixels installed on previous models. Thanks to the sensor’s improved resolving power, the camera automatically selects the optimum focus point, after the AE sensor detects the subject’s face and pupils."

Image tracking performance The essential feature of a flagship model | Challengers | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING

But it's not clear whether Face- or Eye-AF is available in viewfinder shooting or only in Live View. The use of the RGB AE sensor would imply viewfinder use, because the mirror must be down for the AE sensor to function. The Operating Manual indicates a Face Detection mode in LV.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-01-2021 at 01:38 PM.
04-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #260
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My big question is about the speed of autofocus for bird photography with my DA* 300mm, with and without the DA 1.4x TC. Lightning speed isn't normally a big issue for me until I'm trying to photograph flitting, fast moving songbirds like warblers, when the time lag with my K-3 can be very frustrating. I have some good bird in flight shots using settings found on the forum but that's a bit hit and miss - I've lost some really good opportunities and don't even attempt swallows flying by, which some cameras/lenses seem to be able to do.
I'm guessing that for a bird in the bush there are two factors - the speed of locking in the focus which would be the camera, and the mechanics of moving the the lens elements, which would be the lens motor. So maybe I can expect some improvement in that but not the speed of a PLM lens. For birds in flight I'm thinking the new tracking ability would give me a substantiial improvement , from what I have read so far.
04-01-2021, 01:38 PM - 3 Likes   #261
Pentaxian

Perhaps. And the SDM on this lens was released in like 2007 so design has come a long way since then.. the SDM on say the DFA* 85mm (big chunk of glass released in 2020) I'm sure is much more responsive than the SDM on my 50-135.
They look about the same though

(Actually that's the D FA* 50mm f/1.4's SDM; the D FA* 85mm's is beefier, with 1.3x the torque)
04-01-2021, 01:38 PM   #262
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Image tracking performance The essential feature of a flagship model | Challengers | PENTAX K-3 Mark III | RICOH IMAGING
QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
I know that the only way this camera will achieve the most optimal AF performance is to attach a fast focusing lens like the like the DA 55-300mm PLM & the upcoming DA* 16-50mm PLM, but how well will it drive screw drive lenses? Will screw drive lenses focus faster with the K-3III than they did with the K-3II & KP? All the DA Limiteds are screw driven, so that's why I'm wondering. It's not a deal breaker for me since I usually take it way slower when I put on a prime & they usually tend to be screw driven, but I am curious about screw driven lenses in general on the K-3III.
Thanks for suggesting this one c.a.m!

What I find particularly interesting is the comment made at 2:50 regarding how much focus tracking has improved "Even when using a lens previously believed not to be suitable for image-tracking photography".

https://youtu.be/PeUGBFFw4ok?t=170

04-01-2021, 01:40 PM   #263
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In one of the earlier videos, Wakashiro-san indicated that he thought we would all enjoy improvements even with the DA* 300mm. I’m super curious to get this on my screwdrive Tamron 70–200 for sports, in addition to the DA* 300mm SDM (both of them with and without the DA 1.4x TC).
04-01-2021, 01:42 PM   #264
Veteran Member

Is eye AF even possible through a OVF? ... don't think I have seen it from any other manufacturer before.
04-01-2021, 01:43 PM - 1 Like   #265
Pentaxian

Thanks for suggesting this one c.a.m!

What I find particularly interesting is the comment made at 2:50 regarding how much focus tracking has improved "Even when using a lens previously believed not to be suitable for image-tracking photography".

https://youtu.be/PeUGBFFw4ok?t=170
Hmmmmm..... I wonder if the K-3III has an updated screw motor. That plus the updated AF system could make those old screw drive lenses semi-usable for tracking? An unknown paradox..... Hahaha!
04-01-2021, 01:47 PM   #266
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is a reference in one of the Challenger stories:

"The camera also features a new RGB-Ir AE sensor with around 307,000 pixels, in comparison to the RGB sensor with around 86,000 pixels installed on previous models. Thanks to the sensor’s improved resolving power, the camera automatically selects the optimum focus point, after the AE sensor detects the subject’s face and pupils."

But it's not obvious whether Face- or Eye-AF is available in viewfinder shooting or only in Live View. The Operating Manual indicates a Face Detection mode in LV.

- Craig
Is eye AF even possible through a OVF? ... don't think I have seen it from any other manufacturer before.
Wakashiro san specifically stated at CP+ that K-3 III can focus on the eye etc. when using OVF. Besides, AE sensor receives light only when the mirror is down. Subject recognition using AE sensor means that it's for shooting with OVF.

"Face detect" OTOH in Pentax manual is something that's been available for quite some time for live view shooting. K-50, K-70, KP, K-1, K-3, they all have that.
04-01-2021, 02:01 PM   #267
Pentaxian

There is now 2 things on that list:

1.05 magnification
Eye af with DSLR

Wonder where will this go from here!

---------- Post added 04-02-21 at 00:02 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
Wakashiro san specifically stated at CP+ that K-3 III can focus on the eye etc. when using OVF. Besides, AE sensor receives light only when the mirror is down. Subject recognition using AE sensor means that it's for shooting with OVF.

"Face detect" OTOH in Pentax manual is something that's been available for quite some time for live view shooting. K-50, K-70, KP, K-1, K-3, they all have that.
It is quite good with K-1. It is in LV thou and that is a bit slow..good thing is that it works.
04-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #268
Pentaxian

But it's not clear whether Face- or Eye-AF is available in viewfinder shooting or only in Live View. The use of the RGB AE sensor would imply viewfinder use, because the mirror must be down for the AE sensor to function.
Of course face, pupil/eye and bird/animal-detection is available in viefinder (PDAF) shhooting.
It's described here:
New K-3 III video from Ricoh: OVF face, eye and bird detection is coming. - PentaxForums.com

04-01-2021, 02:16 PM   #269
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
is available
"Is available" or is it coming in a firmware update?
Because there is zero reference to eye-af or bird-af in the manual - only face detect in LV.

---------- Post added 04-01-21 at 03:18 PM ----------

I've seen lots of reference that 'it can focus on pupils' but is there a setting for me to select that detects pupils in pdaf? or is the af assuming that I want to detect pupils at all times?
04-01-2021, 02:36 PM - 2 Likes   #270
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
"Is available" or is it coming in a firmware update?
Because there is zero reference to eye-af or bird-af in the manual - only face detect in LV.

---------- Post added 04-01-21 at 03:18 PM ----------

I've seen lots of reference that 'it can focus on pupils' but is there a setting for me to select that detects pupils in pdaf? or is the af assuming that I want to detect pupils at all times?
The manual is super thin on details of all sorts. I am wondering if, now that the "product stories" series is done, we will get a series of guides with videos and screenshots helping owners use their cameras. That's much more how people learn about photography nowadays than reading manuals anyway.
Closed Thread