Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2021, 06:07 AM - 3 Likes   #331
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I do not know the prices of 2013, but I bought the K-3 II 16-85 kit in 2018 for € 999,00. So yes, it seems a bit overpriced. Even if you paid € 1499,00 for the kit I mentioned (which was Ricoh shop's price at that time). But I understand that price is as high as it is because there is only a small number of Pentax "addicts" (friendly endearing term is meant here) and that means that they cannot produce large amounts of this camera, which will keep the price as high as it is.
Seems that you got big bargain. That lens alone(new) is just a bit cheaper. Let us not forget that K-3 and K-3II was nice cameras, but they did not make this kind of renewal for so many things with it. Where this new prism changed almost everything inside of the camera. K-3 was just renewing tech as well as that sensor. But many things were similar to previous cameras. Sure Af was fine tuned too and RGB sensor and faster burst.

This thing has completely new AF.
Completely new and expensive prism.
Renewed IBIS which can do now mechanical Movie SR too.

Those things are expensive to do and I would think that this prism is pushing price up too. It is bigger, but it is brighter. We do know that honing lens elements is pushing lens price up too, so you’v got onion ring bokeh but lens is cheaper. I suppose that applies at here too.

We know what that price is. Comparing it with old Pentax price is not very effective since new Pentax is about more refined product and up to date performance than old was. If we look at latest other products too, like DFA* lenses. Also that 11-18 did raise similar comments and 16-50 plm should be in those footsteps too.

Old Pentax was cheaper, technically always couple steps behind of competition, but with great Image quality.

New Pentax is competitive in every other way than with video(which is still not what Pentax is all about). It is there, it is okay, but images are the thing.

That and small user group is where price comes from

04-03-2021, 06:17 AM   #332
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Ref cost, some of you are missing the price vs value proposition. Quite easy to say that x cost this and has better features in a, b, c but if you're invested in K mount why even ask or look? The cost of K-3 iii is known, as is the value of your Takumar, K, M, A, F, FA, DFA, DA collection which allows you to carry on getting value while improving the experience. Of course you can look at the other brands but perhaps then consider how much it'll cost to convert your K collection to the equivalent other brand? But I can use an adapter, Yeah but its not the same is it..
Precisely. I would only want this camera for the video. People say, well, you need to buy another system. I say, I would if video were a much bigger chunk of what I do---I could justify the entire expense of moving over. Or just get a dedicated video camera. As it is though, I need to make the most of the lens collection I have, and so I'll deal with the camera's probable video deficiencies if it gives acceptable 4K (which I want for editing purposes...more flexibility) and has a UI for video that's also acceptable.

It's the whole cost that matters in the end, unless you are more wealthy than me.
04-03-2021, 07:12 AM   #333
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Precisely. I would only want this camera for the video. People say, well, you need to buy another system. I say, I would if video were a much bigger chunk of what I do---I could justify the entire expense of moving over. Or just get a dedicated video camera. As it is though, I need to make the most of the lens collection I have, and so I'll deal with the camera's probable video deficiencies if it gives acceptable 4K (which I want for editing purposes...more flexibility) and has a UI for video that's also acceptable.

It's the whole cost that matters in the end, unless you are more wealthy than me.
I’m waiting for more examples from this camera, when it comes to video. So far it seems acceptable. 8-bit is nothing to write home about, but if it has good enough bitrate, it could be nice enough for certain type of work.

There was one bad example from ‘Kai’ but all in all his work was underwhelming. But there was one with nice shootout and small videoclips graded. It did look quite nice.
04-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #334
Veteran Member

I'll change topics a bit...

Has anybody seen a listing (or even a price) for the external battery charger? Evidently it no longer comes with the camera. Only the plug-into-the-camera charging cord is bundled.

04-03-2021, 07:28 AM   #335
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
I’m waiting for more examples from this camera, when it comes to video. So far it seems acceptable. 8-bit is nothing to write home about, but if it has good enough bitrate, it could be nice enough for certain type of work.

There was one bad example from ‘Kai’ but all in all his work was underwhelming. But there was one with nice shootout and small videoclips graded. It did look quite nice.
Where was that comparison?
04-03-2021, 07:32 AM   #336
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote

Has anybody seen a listing (or even a price) for the external battery charger? Evidently it no longer comes with the camera. Only the plug-into-the-camera charging cord is bundled.
There's a thread about the new one here: New Ricoh Charger - PentaxForums.com

Older models are also available, various sources.
04-03-2021, 07:43 AM   #337
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

€79 or €129 for the fast charging variant. Seeing as most of us should have a D190 charger lying about the place, no big deal. Type C charging can be pretty efficient with the correct cabling.

04-03-2021, 07:44 AM   #338
Pentaxian

There is thread called, many new K3 videos. Last video at there. It is not comparison and clips are short.

This thread is down just this news section. Trying to link it at here when I’m on computer again..if you won’t find it before that.
04-03-2021, 07:53 AM - 5 Likes   #339
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I do not know the prices of 2013, but I bought the K-3 II 16-85 kit in 2018 for € 999,00. So yes, it seems a bit overpriced. Even if you paid € 1499,00 for the kit I mentioned (which was Ricoh shop's price at that time). But I understand that price is as high as it is because there is only a small number of Pentax "addicts" (friendly endearing term is meant here) and that means that they cannot produce large amounts of this camera, which will keep the price as high as it is.
Five years ago, the less well specified Nikon D500 was introduced at a higher real price than the Pentax appears to be introduced as, and Nikon expected to sell boatloads of them because the camera bubble hadn't burst yet.
So, it looks like Nikon was really just price gouging it's customers at the time, doesn't it?

People need to get over themselves and stop whining about the price. If Ricoh could have introduced it for less, they would have. I'm sure by now they know how price sensitive ( read this as cheap b@st@rds) their customer base is.
04-03-2021, 07:59 AM   #340
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

People need to get over themselves and stop whining about the price. If Ricoh could have introduced it for less, they would have. I'm sure by now they know how price sensitive ( read this as cheap b@st@rds) their customer base is.
Hey! I resemble that remark! Even back in the day, the glory days of used gear---remember camera meets, with all their vendors and table after table in a big hall or gymnasium?---Pentax was known as the "poor man's Nikon".
04-03-2021, 08:15 AM   #341
Pentaxian

Btw, one thing what I did catch from tethering. It is now possibly to get done by USB-C. There was one phrase I’d like to be cleared off. Tethering is video mode is not possible, unless there is a card in camera. I suppose that tethering is possible with out card in camera then, but does this mean that when I’m video mode, video can be tethered from computer and video is written to that card and then transferred to computer? Or what. That should mean that photos can be done with out that card?
04-03-2021, 08:30 AM   #342
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ofer4 Quote

I got a "Kastar" USB charger for my KP - they run around $11 at eBay.
04-03-2021, 08:43 AM - 7 Likes   #343
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Expanding on my previous thoughts, lot of people on here with K-5's, K-3's and this is aimed precisely at you. You've had serious value out of these cameras, let's say for arguments sake a minimum of 4 yrs, could be a lot longer could be shorter but majority will be easily 4 yrs. You've forgotten about the camera in that time and have concentrated on your photography or perhaps building up an arsenal of K mount lens. You might be looking for faster or more reliable AF, the iii has you covered, you might want better DR or ISO reach, the iii has you covered. Personally I always felt that the K-5iiS had a cleaner image than the K-3's but the extra MP and snappier use won out for me in the end. K-1 gave me back the cleaner image and double the MP but I lost the snappy usage. The iii gives you the best of both worlds. There are also those with K-50's, 70's and P's, the iii will be a step up in every way with possibly the exception of flippy screen. Overall though, I think the benefits totally outweigh the negatives. For those that moved to the K-1 series, well this is another addition to your arsenal for the FF lens you might have, the 150-450, 300, 70-200 now give the impression of greater reach but without the drawback or limit of 16MP crop and a far faster usage model. Its not a step back or step down but an additional use case.
04-03-2021, 09:30 AM - 6 Likes   #344
Pentaxian

Its a real joy to read the various opinions after having preordered the K-3iii!
04-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #345
Pentaxian

Maybe in this thread:
Many New K-3 III Videos - PentaxForums.com
Closed Thread